80/10/10 diet

Paige

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on exactly what you have eaten but that is a large change in diet for most people. Also some people get filled up on protein, which the 811 diet has a low amount of. It could also be a calorie deficit, or even an excessive intake of sugars with low fiber to balance the uptake. Can you provide more details?

I have been on the diet for almost 2 years. The best diet and thing I have ever done for myself and for my fitness.

Most people initially underconsume in calories from carbohydrates. This is due to the fact that the standard cooked fare is far more calorie dense than fruits. It may take a week or two for your stomach to regain its natural elasticity and allow you to consume more water and fiber rich foods. Just one of the great benefits of 811rv is the opportunity to eat large amounts of nutrient dense foods.

Check out the results Dr. Graham has been reaping after 25 years on 811rv.

You can check out more on his site, www.foodnsport.com

Wishing You Abundant Health! Go to Health!!!

last 2 days have been somewhere between 1200-1400 cals. Raw fruit all day; bananas, apples, berries, melon and dinner is veggie salad; lettuce and broccoli with 1 tbl flax oil. I am currently 5' 7" 155 with quite a bit of muscle. Need to drop 10 lbs. of body fat Training for contest 5-7x per week 60mins weights, 30mins cardio. I am pretty shakey and dizzy right now and not feeling great on this plan. What should I change to increase energy and feel better on this?

Hello Paige,

Thanks for detailed information to help with assisting you.

I highly recommend consuming more calories from sweet fruits; bananas, dates, grapes, mangoes, figs, etc. I found it easier to do this in smoothie form, especially in the beginning stages. It also may be wise to eat more meals if need be to get in the calories.

You are 5'7" and 155 lbs. Based on your physical exertion as well, you at least need to be consuming 2500 calories a day. Your biggest meal should come within 2 hours after completing your training. Try a 15 banana smoothie after working out. OR A 10 banana smoothie with dates, figs, or mangoes added. This will allow you to consume 1500 calories in one sitting. If this is not possible yet, then have 700 calories for breakfast, 1000 calories for post workout, and then consume the final 800 calories combined with your salad.

I recommend you drop out the refined flax oil. Oil is 100% fat. I doubt this is the reason you are consuming it, but it is unnecessary and hinders your recovery. Especially if your goal is to drop body fat, I recommend dropping out overt fat sources. Fruits and vegetables already average at 5-6% of calories coming from fat.

Dizzy and shaky are not fun things to feel. I empathize with you. When consuming enough calories this feeling is non-existent. If you do feel tired I urge you to rest as the body does its most efficient healing, rebuilding (of muscle and tissue), and eliminating of toxins while we are sleeping and resting.

You will be gaining health and physique with this program, you have made a wise observation and choice.

Keep the questions coming! Keep up the great work!

GO TO HEALTH!!!

Thank you sooo much for the extensive feedback. I am going to actually eat more often to get the cals down. My stomach is having a tough time with this program so I am going to just space it out to be able to eat enough. 2500 seems huge to me. But that sounds like the right solution. I will drop out the flax oil too to see if that helps.

doug graham is not a real doctor and nobody should follow any nutritional advice he gives. He is a chiropractor and he doesn't know a damn thing about what people should or shouldn't be eating. Most of what he says is just dangerous and people need to stop promoting that quack.

goob: you might be right, I don't know. But heck it is worth trying for a week. Enough people say they love the program to give it a shot. Alot of people say that veganism is dangerous and that vegans can't build muscle. We know that is not true. I have more muscle as a vegan then I had as a meat eater. Who not raw fruits and veggies? Can't hurt.

Doctors have been known to prescribe drugs of all varieties, all of them poisonous. Doctors have performed surgeries on the wrong patients. Doctors have killed many people with wrong advice. Doctors have also done some good as well.

I think it might be wise to focus on the legitimacy of the advice rather than the person or credentials.

doug graham is not a real doctor

Damn right!!! That is a good thing. Dr's are NOT nutritionists or dietitians. Doug is a RESEARCHER with a PhD

he doesn't know a damn thing about what people should or shouldn't be eating

He wrote the book on it.

Most of what he says is just dangerous and people need to stop promoting it.

People have been saying that for years; and trying to squelsh the 811 talk. But it's only increased! Why?

1. Nature has proven this as natural, and therefore, works.

2. What works, grows in popularity.

3. Doug stands the test of time: 30 years on 811.

4. Doug's video:

. Hardly anyone Doug's age can do those exercises. NO other rawfood "gurus" could even remotely come close to doing that on their high fat/fruit-phobic diets.

I've been lifting weights on 811 for 2 years, and getting better all around. I'm 43(most people my age are falling apart now)

4. Doug's video:
. Hardly anyone Doug's age can do those exercises. NO other rawfood "gurus" could even remotely come close to doing that on their high fat/fruit-phobic diets.

It's not simply that they couldn't do it due to their diets being ineffectual for allowing one to be physically fit and strong, but you can't take the small handful of raw "gurus" who look like they haven't worked out a day in their lives and use it as a comparison If they were concerned with using physical fitness as their key to promoting what they are pushing, I'm sure they'd look a lot better than they do. However, most are too busy selling raw chocolate bars that cost $10 for 2 oz. or are more worried about their next Vision Quest to connect with the spirits in the Andes

I've met a couple of guys in their 60s/early 70s who lived their entire lives off of meat-heavy diets, and these guys could toss Dr. Graham around like a bean bag if they were so inclined, their levels of fitness and strength are amazing for their age. It doesn't mean that their diets are superior, moreso that they trained hard, trained consistently, and worked out intelligently for many years to get where they did. Heck, a friend of mine who is no longer around (RIP) was a top-level division 1 athlete in college, and 90% of his food consisted of $1.00 per box pasta eaten twice per day with a little tomato sauce. Healthy? Not really. Did he thrive on it for a few years during times he had no money for quality food to where he was at the top of his field? Yes. But, I wouldn't go around claiming that it was the key to his success in sports, as that would be denying the real reasons he accomplished what he did.

Sometimes, people become more enamored with the cult of personality behind someone who wants to prove a "superior" diet than to consider the history that got them to where they are. If someone showed me a pic of Dr. Graham from 3 years ago and I saw that he was a 300 lb. couch potato, I'd say that the diet itself may have lent a great deal to his accomplishments. However, if he was doing these same exercises 20 years ago, maintaining is very different from progressing, something to consider.

If people choose to follow the 80/10/10, that's all fine and good. However, there's still no evidence to prove it superior to anything else aside from some people saying they "feel more alive" or something of that sort, but just as well, I've seen no shortage of people who say it makes them feel like crap. Anything "perfect" does not have the option to be so drastically split for opinion, so I simply view it as anything else, a diet radical in concept that sounds somewhat healthy, but simultaneously sounds like it would make me miserable to do myself (not to mention, I know my body well enough to be aware that I'd fall apart by doing it, low fat low protein is the opposite of what I thrive on).

Best of luck to those who do it, I just prefer a little more science and a little less "religious faith" in my diet programs

I don't mean to poke and prod, but the entire 80/10/10 book is based in and references numerous scientific materials.

Can anyone think of a natural food source besides fruits vegetables, nuts and seeds, that taste good and are digestible in their whole, fresh, ripe, raw state?

Every other creature on the planet adheres to their species specific diet. The creature that anatomically and physiologically most closely matches our make-up is the bonobo chimpanzee; whose diet is composed of fruits and vegetables. Until 1950, the encyclopedia Britannica correctly classified the human as frugivores, as we are classified as anthropoid primates.

If anyone has questions or discrepancies with the diet, I urge you to be specific and to inquire for scientific responses. I can do my best to respond accordingly. If it is above my head, I will directly as Dr. Doug Graham for you. Or you could ask him at vegsource.com/talk/raw

I truly want to be doing the best thing for myself, I think we all do. Let's work together to find out the best program. I don't want to be following a diet that doesn't work, but I still haven't been given any legitimate reason not to follow a program that is giving me all the results I desired and more that I never thought of. I appreciate your help in this endeavor, family.

Wishing You All the Best in Life My Brothers and Sisters!

Kevin

I don't mean to poke and prod, but the entire 80/10/10 book is based in and references numerous scientific materials.

The one issue I have with a lot of raw foods "science" is that a lot of the "facts" are taken from context in regard to what other species eat or are often bits that are hand-picked to suit the argument while ignoring things that can poke holes in the theories. But, that's the same for most everything that tries to promote itself as being better than other similar programs. I'm just not sold on a lot of raw idealism because it's no more infallible than other diets that make claims that aren't universally true.

Every other creature on the planet adheres to their species specific diet. The creature that anatomically and physiologically most closely matches our make-up is the bonobo chimpanzee; whose diet is composed of fruits and vegetables. Until 1950, the encyclopedia Britannica correctly classified the human as frugivores, as we are classified as anthropoid primates.

Again, my problem with the "science" being that we truly can't compare ourselves perfectly to that which we're closest to species-wise. No matter how similar many factors are between ourselves and chimpanzees may be, we're still two entirely different creatures, so that's why I'm not big on much of the raw hullaballo that insists we need to share the exact same diet without exception for optimal health. And, one argument that always makes things more interesting is the notion that, if we begin to say we're so close to chimpanzees that we need to follow their lead dietary-wise, where do we draw the line for saying that it simultaneously is not acceptable to perform animal testing on them? I mean, if we're so close to each other physically that we need to adopt their mode of eating because we're that similar, it would carry over to the pro-vivisection argument quite well, something I'm not keen on agreeing with either. It's difficult to separate the two when people make every effort to draw parallels diet-wise, but then want to change the game when it comes to medical research.

Not to mention the low protein and low fat aspect of 80/10/10 unfortunately does not lend itself to the goals of everyone - if you're concerned with building the most in the way of size and strength, low protein and low fat are not ideal, general science has shown this time and time again (not to mention I've never seen/met a raw bodybuilder who truly had an amazing physique, aside from LeanAndGreen who consumed spirulina by the truckload for his protein intake and is not the typical raw guy). I've seen a few raw athletes who had very good physiques, but for someone who has an aire of pure, raw power and strength and can put up the numbers to verify it's not just for show, I'm not so sure anyone like that has existed...yet.

I truly want to be doing the best thing for myself, I think we all do. Let's work together to find out the best program. I don't want to be following a diet that doesn't work, but I still haven't been given any legitimate reason not to follow a program that is giving me all the results I desired and more that I never thought of. I appreciate your help in this endeavor, family.

Like I said, more power to those who do something like the 80/10/10 and feel great for it. I won't discourage anyone who truly and honestly feels great for changing to a diet such as that one, if it makes someone feel better and more energetic, that's awesome. That is, so long as it is actual feeling from the heart and not simply being sucked into believing that one has to stand up for their choice even if it isn't as wonderful as they'd wished it would be.

The unfortunate state I've found with many people who have gone raw or tried variations of it like 80/10/10 is that I've seen no shortage of ex-raw people who did it for some time with nearly religious fervor, but eventually did not feel great on the diets and opted to go back to adding in cooked foods again. And, many times when they were struggling with not feeling good on the diet, they caught hell from other raw enthisiasts for even questioning the diet's ability to be ideal for everyone - if they were feeling tired, they weren't eating enough bananas. If they said their healing time slowed down, it was because they drank tea in the morning. If they were looking jaundiced, it was that they needed to not wash their fruit. If their teeth turned greyish and started to have excessive decay from massive fruit intake, it was that they weren't eating the "right fruits". Just one excuse after another for so many who struggled with such diets where the community wasn't supportive of the fact that for some people, it just isn't a good idea to eat that way.

For some time during their raw phases, many of these people would have severed a limb to prove their allegiance to the diet they once held in high regard only to eventually say that they never felt as good as they wanted to believe they did while on it. Sometimes, we as people tend to put on blinders when we get into something new that we really WANT to see succeed, but it isn't always in the cards for everyone to work well on the same diet.

So, as I've said, if it truly and honestly makes someone feel better for going on a diet like 80/10/10, more power to them for making that choice. HOWEVER, I will always take issue with anyone who claims that they have a diet that's superior to all others, anything that claims to make one disease-proof, and anything that does not allow for skepticism when someone follows the program perfectly and just can't feel good while doing it. As long as one doesn't lose their common sense and ability to see things logically and rationally while trying something new, by all means, give it a shot!

Wow, what a night. I had such a severe drop in blood sugar last night that I could barely get out of bed to get some food down. shaking severely, so dizzy I could barely walk and sick to my stomach. It was crazy. Still shaky this morning. I guess the frustrating part is that after 4 days I have not lost ANY weight. Eating 1200-1400 cals the last 4 days with 90mins of training. I thought at least I would get a little drop out of it, but nothing. I committed to staying on this until Friday but I do not know if I can keep going. I can't even train today.

Paige, you could be eating a cooked diet and would feel those symptoms if you keep under eating by more than 1000 calories daily. There is no way you can workout or even function on a high level without supplying the necessary fuel for your cells to operate. Every cell in the body runs on glucose or fructose. You must supply enough carbohydrates to thrive. I sincerely hope you try a day of eating 2500 calories.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin. Ok. I will try to do that today. I just really want to drop some weight. Although you would think that if I am undereating so badly that it would show up on the scale. That is why it is so hard for me to get my head wrapped around eating more when I can't even lose weight on what I am eating now.

I know it's counterintuitive, but undereating by a lot will not necessarily lead to weight loss. In order to lose weight you need your body to be functioning properly and well, and your symptoms are demonstrating that your body is not functioning properly. Bump up your calories by enough that you feel well again and have the energy to exercise. If your body has what it needs, but you're just a little bit--rather than way--under what you are burning, you should be able to lose weight.

Good point FormicaLinoleum,

Often times drastically under eating causes the body to conserve its fat and reserves, thinking that there is a shortage going on or imminent.

It is much more productive to systematically under eat by 200 calories a day. This prevents binging and allows you to maintain activity levels. 1 pound of fat = 3500 calories.

Following 811rv, while consuming sufficient calories, your body will lose water weight. This will be the major weight loss. It will allow muscle definition to show significantly. The body retains excess water to dilute toxic substances such as; salt, spices, and cooked food. Ever wonder why you get thirsty after eating these items?

Read the 80/10/10 book, follow the lifestyle, reap the rewards! My life and fitness has never been so phenomenal.

Good luck Paige!

Paige,

I support you! I will be on the same track very soon! I have done it, and I will do it again. Just please, don't make the same mistake as I did, not to eat enough. You have to eat 3000 cal a day. Now on the beginning it may seem strange to you to eat 20 oranges or 10 bananas as one meal, but you will get use to it. I personally eat sometimes 10 bananas for breakfast, and I am not on 811 diet anymore. I simply love it! BUT, maybe you can try to eat more often. Like, eat 5 bananas now, and in 3 hours eat another 5 bananas. I hear Michael Arnstein, the 811 marathon runner, he prefers eating all day many times, each time a fruit or two, rather then eating 3 big meals. I incline to that too. I will start 811 again soon, so I am looking forward to reading this thread!

PS: Leave oils out, just use whole nuts and seeds in the evening, as prescribed in the 811.

And don't mess with unripe citruses, they are bomb to stomach in big quantities. You can eat orange or two when unripe, but trying to eat 20 of them is a disaster. But if you have really ripe and sweet ones (no sour taste AT ALL!), it's heaven:))))))