Mikkei's New 80% Raw Bodybuilding Journal

I will butt in here. I use the sauna to relax muscles, to support stretching by having the muscles already warm, to encourage hydration, and to sweat and simply mentally relax. I think it can do great things for muscles, for lowering stress and for encouraging stretching and increased hydration. Some will say it helps them "detox" too by sweating.

So Big M, sorry I'll miss you on Super Bowl Sunday...just learned of the vegan party today and I know you already have plans. We'll find another day to do a gathering...maybe in late Feb before I head out for the year.

Peace.....train hard, eat plenty.

Thanks for posting the workout pics on the site!

Can't wait to see the 2nd batch when I was in better shape. Always progressing........

-Robert

Great rundown on the Sauna, RC. My favorite aspect of the Sauna is getting to sweat and being able to take time to reflect on my goals. The Finnish (creators of the Sauna) treat the Sauna almost like a church.I always have thought that was neat. If nothing else, I think it helps mr psychologically with what I do in the gym.

Dishy get to post my last two workouts, so here goes:

Thursday Training

Back Squat

115# x 10

135# x 5

135# x 6

135# x 6 (not full ROM)

115# x 6

Front Squat

45# x 8

65# x 6

85# x 3

OHS

50# x 4

45# x 6

45# x 6

Friday Training

Deadlift

135# x 6

135# x 6

155# x 6

175# x 6

185# x 6

175# x 6

135# x 8

I've been thinking a lot recently, while training, about something RC said to me. He said, if full body compound lifts like squats, deadlifts, and presses are the most effective, why do we waste time on anything else? I think it's really helped me refocus my training. I'm spending a lot more time on quality exercises now which are much more challenging. I can feel the difference on my muscles. Thanks RC!

Anyway, that's it for now! Thanks for stopping by Stephanie and RC. I really appreciate it and your great comments pressure me to keep my log updated! Haha.

Nice Mikkei!

I really believe that philosophy more and more the more I think about it. I haven't touched a cable or machine in nearly 2 months. I stick to dumbbells, barbells and bodyweight exercises. If certain exercises give us the greatest benefit by challenging our muscles the most, shouldn't we do those exercises most often and in some cases, exclusively? It seems like if you use analogies like this in other areas of life, we'd draw the same conclusions, so why should fitness or weight training be any different?

Have a great weekend!

Time for me to eat!

RC

Busted out a quick workout at home while watching TV with my fiance.

All exercises performed with 25# DBs.

Dual Overhead Carry

30 seconds

1 Overhead Carry + 1 Farmer Carry

30 seconds

1 Overhead Carry + 1 Farmer Carry (switched sides)

30 seconds

1 Farmer Carry

30 seconds

4 rounds total

Then:

1-arm Hang Clean and Jerk

@25# x 10 (each side)

@25# x 10 (each side)

@25# x 10 (each side)

Crunches

Pretty short, but glad I got something in today. The overhead carries were pretty sweet. Really worked my abs more than anticipated.

I've been logging all my workouts in my iPhone, but keep forgetting to post them. Here's Monday.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Trained at the 24 Hour by my work in the Pearl today. Feeling very motivated and hoping for an awesome week. Today I'm working on reping heavy and trying to see if I can stick a 135# press next week or the week after. Small steps. Next step after that will be pressing bodyweight (and 135# WAS my bodyweight in December).

Bench Press

45# x 20

65# x 10

95# x 5

115# x 4

115# x 4

105# x 5

105# x 6

105# x 3

95# x 5

Decline DB Press

25# x 10

30# x 8

30# x 8

I missed Tuesday and Wednesday, but here's Thursday:

------------------------------------------

Fed up after missing two days in a row. Started counting calories today. My goal is 3,000+ calories and 150grams of protein. Don't know if that's enough or too much. I'll have to look into it more later.

Squat!

45# x 10

95# x 6

115# x 6

135# x 6

155# x 2 (not satisfied with depth)

155# x 1 (okay depth)

135# x 3 (great depth)

115# x 6

115# x 6

115# x 6

Front Squat!

65# x 6

65# x 8

75# x 8

75# x 8-10 (lost count)

Nutrition:

Toast, butter, jam 460 12p

Raw Mac cracker 100 2p

Toast, butter, jam 460 12p

Banana 105 1p

Banana 105 1p

Carob Chips 140 4p

Bar 180 7p

Kidney bean can 330 21p

2 Tofurky Sausage 540 58p

Soy Protein 110 25p

Banana 105 1p

Total: 2,635 Calories, 144 grams protein. Close to the goal. Should have eaten more once I got home.

Cool man!

It's good to know what your numbers are. How are we to adapt or change or improve if we don't know what we've done previously or what we're currently doing? Recording some basic numbers such as estimated caloric intake, fluid intake, grams of protein, supplements used, length of workout and workout frequency are all helpful to reflect upon at anytime.

All the best man!

I leave on Friday. Then only back a few times the rest of the year....including The Big Day!

Peace!

PS, I'm passing on my free weight torch to you. I'll go visit my mother Mon or Tue this week and get some weights from the basement to bring to your house before I head out of town. I may need to take the elastic band back since I can use it on the road...or I can pick one up at a sporting goods store along my journey too.

Thanks for all your help with my book. It is kicking butt and will continue to do so

Friday's workout was this:

Deadlift

135# x 10

135# x 10

185# x 5

185# x 5

185# x 5

165# x 5

165# x 5

165# x 5

155# x 6

135# x 6

Push Press

60# x 8

60# x 8

60# x 8

70# x 8

70# x 8

I had three days off so I could focus on my sweetheart for Valentine's Day. Today, I was back at the gym and am anticipating being more consistent from here on out.

24 Hour Fitness by work at 1pm.

Bench Press

55# x 15

65# x 10

75# x 10

95# x 8

115# x 1

105# x 4 (last rep was a real hard fight)

95# x 5

75# x 7

75# x 7

75# x 7

Push Press

45# x 8

55# x 8

60# x 8

65# x 6

70# x 5

Round Two - Home gym at 7pm

Kettlebell Swings (w/ plate)

25# x 25

25# x 25

25# x 25

25# x 25

25# x 25

Back Squat

45# x 15

65# x 15

95# x 8

115# x 8

135# x 5

145# x 3

115# x 5

115# x 8

Trunk Twists w/ Barbell (left, center, right, center is one rep)

115# x 5

115# x 5

115# x 8

I have weights for you

Let's meet up. I canceled my Canada trip so I can focus all my time, money and energy on my Worldwide Book Campaign. Got weights from my mom's house to give to you, and would love to get in another workout and also work on site. I leave in 10 days.

Have a great week!

Hey RC! Been swamped at work (in a good way) but haven't been able to commit to anything yet. Let me hit you up this weekend and let you know when we can train. Maybe Tuesday.

Yesterday's training:

Deadlift

95# x 15 for warmup

135# x 8

135# x 8

135# x 8

155# x 1

185# x 1

205# x 1

225# x 1

230# x 1 (new PR)

205# x 1

135# x 8

135# x 8

135# x 8

Today's training:

Turkish Get Up

25# x 5 each side

25# x 5 each side

25# x 5 each side

20# x 5 each side

Clean squat and press

(so much fun, this combination)

65# x 5

75# x 5

65# x 5

65# x 5

65# x 5

Sauna afterward

Training plan for today was to take it easy and work on super full body movements. Turned out to be really challenging but a good break from working on the major lifts. Up till now, I've just been worried about getting bench, squat, overhead press and Deadlift session every week. Now that I'm getting more consistent, I have to plan what to do on my fifth or sixth workouts. Pretty nice problem to have. Lol.

Good work with your training man!

No worries. I know you're busy. I'm just relentless in my pursuit of things that mean a lot to me. Trust me, there are few people I go out of my way to see.

I mean that. I stick to myself and rarely venture out aside from my tours, but I want to see you before I go. I leave in a week.

All the best. Hammer it hard! Find meaning in what you're doing. I'm passing on some weights to you because I've seen that fire that you have, which I mentioned last time we trained together. Most people don't have "it." When I find those who do, I have to support all I can.

See you soon!

Make it happen

RC