Re-gaining control. It's on like Donkey Kong

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel your pain. I just got off of crutches from my surgery. What I did was just leave the cruthes and hop up the stairs or hop around the gym. Did a ton of pushups, pullups, every ab exercise know to man. 1 legged biking. benching, dips, shoulder presses, rowing, handstands, bar ab exercises. Another great thing is if you can find someone to throw a medicine ball around with you while you are seated. it is great abs and upper body work. If you can't find someone you can throw it off a wall and catch it although there are more variations if you have a workout partner even for just afew minutes. good luck hopefully you would be in that thing much longer.

MaryStella, I'll have to try that seated ball throw sometime, even if it's after I'm better =D

I did some bi's and tri's at the gym Wednesday and per order from my physical therapist, I tried the recumbent bike for about 5 mins. went well but noticed my ROM in my ankle that I sprained a few years ago is horrible! one more thing to stretch, lol

Today I'll do shoulders, try some "gentle" ab stuff. By gentle I mean no utilizing my hips too much or stopping if it's too painful. and go for 10 mins on the recumbent bike.

last semester of Grad school in underway...STRESS already! reading an entire textbook this weekend. At least it's interesting! on disability and deformity in the Graeco-Roman World. Oh and did I mention about 4 hours of statistics homework?!? fun stuff...

Thought I'd post a few pictures for good measure. The first one is when I met Robert for the first time in 2008 (?) and the other one I took Wednesday after my workout. My arms were at least half the size they are now! =D

http://i54.tinypic.com/29f3t77.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/73cca8.jpg

Shoulder workout went well, felt great. I think I could push it harder but it's tough since I'm either sitting or standing on one leg. If anything its great for abs, right? lol.

I did try some additional ab stuff but nothing too crazy since most of them use the hip flexors more than I think I'm ready for.

also, did 10 mins. on the recumbent bike! yah me!! =)

now to write this dreaded paper.... a week into the semester and I already know it's going to be horrible!

Thanks! that pic was maybe 4 or 3 weeks out from my 1st competition. Hoping to get that vascularity again but keep my size. I'm not cutting until 8 weeks out this time and only doing steady cardio. seems I burn easily at this point..sure that will change with age though. lol

Haven't picked any shows to compete in this year. I was thinking of doing the same show I did last year and hoping to come in bigger. But I'd really like to change my season to before summer instead of after in August. But at this point it all depends on my progress with the leg.

I've been trying to get my diet in order (seems to always be the problem) Even though I'm not able to do any leg stuff and wont be able to for a while I still think I'm eating to few calories to support growth.

I found this in a search for vegan figure off season diets- any thoughts?

I've been trying to find a diet that doesn't include so much processed stuff. I've added some things to the diet like PB in my oats, tempeh (instead of hotdogs) , and a ton more veggies since it seems low on that front.

http://www.bodybuilders.com/ilonam.htm

Example Off-season Diet:

Meal #1: 1/2 cup Oats with 1/2 oz almonds and a banana with one scoop of soy protein powder.

Meal #2: Veggie Sandwich - 2 slices of Ezekiel bread (half, sliced tomato, onions, 1/3 sliced pickle, 1 tbsp natural Dijon mustard, 1 tbsp salsa; I make my own), and vegenaise (a vegan mayo alternative)

*Ezekiel bread is a flourless freshly sprouted bread which contains 6 different grains that make it a complete protein!

Meal #3: Brown rice and chili beans.

Meal #4: Brown rice pasta with veggies such as broccoli, zucchini, and asparagus. I also add mushrooms and soy sauce or I make my own marinara sauce.

Meal #5: 1 hour pre-workout; Repeat meal #3.

Meal #6: Immediately post-workout: soy yogurt and any kind of fruit

Meal #7: This meal always changes, it can be either meal 1, 2, 3 or 4 or it can be something like a veggie hotdog on an Ezekiel hotdog bun, a veggie burger on an Ezekiel hamburger bun, or a veggie wrap with beans.

I guess my main concern is consuming protein shakes at every meal. I've been trying to decrease that number. I'm worried though about all the carbs in this. But maybe they're good for bulking up some. I'm having a hard time adding calories to what I was cOnsiming to reach around 2500-2000. Especially convenient (not junky processed) foods.

Ill try to post my previous plan and items I've thought of adding.

one week on crutches to go!!! yesterday in PT I did weight shifts and was allowed to put 50% bodyweight on my leg off and on!

quick back work out after PT- didn't realize how late I got there and had a lunch date with the hubby at the worlds best Indian buffet. Was a bit late but I got 4 exercises in

wide grip lat pull down 55 (or so lbs)

narrow grip 70lbs

reverse grip 70 (or so lbs)

rear delt (pretty sure it was 70)

-didn't get to stretch afterward

-need to start writing my wk outs down

will post my other diet (after I get this paper written...story of my life...)

So this is what I was eating pre-contest. I dropped the calories lower around 4 weeks out (not doing that again! I'll just up my cardio since it wasn't that intense anyhow).

I didn't mind this diet but in the off season I'd like to add at least 500 more calories if not closer to 1000. I'd also not be nearly as strict allowing myself "cheat meals" or a beer or a glass of wine every once in awhile (so I don't go crazy!)

here it goes:

NitroFusion

lrg banana

Almond Milk (unsweetened)

Prot. 28.5 carbs 41.5 fat 6.25 cals. 314.5

Hemp Protein powder

Strawberries 100g

Oatmeal 1/2 cup

27 39.5 8 322

hemp powder

raisins 28grams

romaine

grape tomatoes

bell pepper

26.5 45.5 4.5 322

carrots (100 grams)

raw, unsalted Almond butter (1 tbsp)

apple (150 grams)

3.75 34 9.45 220

NitroFusion

steamed broccoli ( 1.5 cups)

Sweet potato 6 oz

33 53 2.6 347

Day Total

Protein 118.75

Carbs 213.5

Fat 30.8

Calories 1525.5

I'm thinking I could add more veggies, eat a whole sweet potato, add another tbsp of Almond butter. any more ideas?

I'm fine with tofu and soy products (I bought some tempeh recently to add in)- I was avoiding soy and gluten pre-contest and will most likely do that again when I compete (definitely made me less bloated).

So far I've added another cup of almond milk and a tbsp. of PB to my morning smoothie- protein up to 120 (I weigh 140 so I need to add about 20grams shouldn't be tough) Maybe I'll add some tempeh to my salad at lunch....

being long and lean and 5'8" my body seems to want to stay that way, but I won't let it! I think upping my cals. should help with that. I've also not been doing much cardio (because of the surgery and because I'm scared to loose any muscle I gain). I'm thinking pre-contest I'll do longer cardio sessions that aren't too intense.

I talked to a trainer friend who competes in bodybuilding and he assured me he'd help me get back the muscle I gained in my legs. which is good cause my butt is flabby and my thighs too! (well, flabby to me anyway...) I just want to dead lift and squat!! =D

Hi! So sorry to hear about your injury - I love to squat/deadlift too so I can only imagine how torturous it is to have to sit those out!!

I'm new to this site and I'm about to start training for my first figure/bikini comp (probably late summer/early fall). Right now I'm trying to plan out my food and training; hoping to start by March 1st. If you don't mind, I have a few questions for you...

When you were training for your comp, did you work with a trainer? I am not really in a position to hire a trainer. I know it can be done without one, just haven't had the opportunity to "meet" anyone who's done it!

When you list hemp powder, how are you eating it? (mixing w/ water for a shake, mixing into oatmeal, etc.) Hemp powder is what I use for a protein powder right now (looking into gemma and rice protein as well) and I have a really hard time mixing it with water!

Do you have a specific way you structure your daily pre-contest diet as far as macros are concerned? (i.e. do you aim for a specific percentage of daily cals, etc.)

Any advice for a first-time competitor??

Oh and I noticed you are in MD - I'm in DE! I live in New Castle Co. and my family lives in Baltimore.

Thanks so much for your feedback and best of luck recovering from your injury!!!

Hi! So sorry to hear about your injury - I love to squat/deadlift too so I can only imagine how torturous it is to have to sit those out!!

I'm new to this site and I'm about to start training for my first figure/bikini comp (probably late summer/early fall). Right now I'm trying to plan out my food and training; hoping to start by March 1st. If you don't mind, I have a few questions for you...

When you were training for your comp, did you work with a trainer? I am not really in a position to hire a trainer. I know it can be done without one, just haven't had the opportunity to "meet" anyone who's done it!

When you list hemp powder, how are you eating it? (mixing w/ water for a shake, mixing into oatmeal, etc.) Hemp powder is what I use for a protein powder right now (looking into gemma and rice protein as well) and I have a really hard time mixing it with water!

Do you have a specific way you structure your daily pre-contest diet as far as macros are concerned? (i.e. do you aim for a specific percentage of daily cals, etc.)

Any advice for a first-time competitor??

Oh and I noticed you are in MD - I'm in DE! I live in New Castle Co. and my family lives in Baltimore.

Thanks so much for your feedback and best of luck recovering from your injury!!!

Congrats on deciding to compete! it can be scary but you'll be great and enjoy yourself! Have you picked out a show you want to compete in?

to answer your questions:

When I was training for my competition (it was my 1st, but definitely not my last!) I had help from an inline trainer (much cheaper!) but you don't need one there are plenty of resources online. Just make sure to use good form and never cheat yourself! push yourself!

I will however be hiring a trainer for my next competition for 2 reasons 1.) rehab from the surgery and 2) I didn't place as well as I wanted in my 1st show so I want someone who trains figure girls to push me beyond where I will push myself

I use Manitoba Harvest hemp pro 70. It's expensive and can take some getting used to the taste (sort of has the texture of milk). I have it with just water, I think it would taste weird with anything else. I have used mixed proteins from true protein as well in its place to help with the costs and to mix it up a bit. Feel free to try gemma some people love it. it tasted like vomit to me.... but the pea blends from true protein i never had an issue with.

The diet I posted above is exactly what I ate pre-contest. I manipulated it a bit as I got closer but I won't be doing that again (my calories were way too low). I'm still trying to figure out what diet works best for me but I think that's part of the fun of competing. I am trying to get my calories up to around 2000 right now and my protein to about 140 grams.

My advice for a 1st time competitor is:

1.) practice posing

2.) don't drop your calories too low (especially too soon). your heath is more important than winning!!

3.)practice posing

4.) don't take yourself too seriously and don't worry so much about winning. just competing and pushing yourself beyond what you previously thought was possible is winning!!

5.) ohh, and practice posing! I cannot stress that enough. It is harder than it looks and is very very tiresome!

- I did actually get a coach for this part. Thanks to her I was not nearly as freighted to get on stage and the judges told me I had good stage presence and didn't look nervous or uncomfortable like most 1st timers.

6.) also, ask the judges for any advice after the show. they can tell you why you placed how you did and what you can work on for future shows.

ps

I live in Baltimore =)

Thanks so much for the advice!!

I'm so glad to hear you're in Baltimore! I have decided on the Charm City Classic on Oct. 15th, so maybe I'll see you there! I was going to try for an earlier show but I'm so afraid I'll cut myself short and feel rushed and unprepared. I figured 33 weeks is a good amount of time... I hope... That's the latest show I could find that is close by, so it'll have to do! IF (and that's a big if) I find I"m progressing faster than planned, I may hike it up to NJ for a show in August... but I doubt it.

I would LOVE to know who you worked with to practice posing, if you don't mind sharing (PM me if you want). I am nervous about the posing, as I don't have the first clue about how to pose. I figured as it gets closer I'd start searching for someone to work with, but then again I hear it is better to practice early and often. I guess it's never too early for that, huh?

I am also still tossing around the idea of competing in the bikini division rather than figure. Being a first-timer and a newcomer to bodybuilding in general, I figure my training will be the same (at least in the beginning) regardless of the division, so I have some time to iron out those details. But any thoughts on that?

Thanks again for all the advice, I really appreciate it!!!!

On, there is also a show on April 9th at UB, the OCB Eastern Regionals. I'm going just to watch - can't wait to see a show up close and personal!!

luvpitbulls:

I also thought about doing the Charm City Classic. It would be awesome to compete with someone else! I was all by myself at my 1st show, fun but would have been way better with someone else! right now though competing is on hold until I get the ok from my ortho and physical therapist to start training legs again. either way, I'll be there! =)

have you only checked out OCB shows? I'd also check other organizations to see which fits you best- they may have different show dates. (I've been thinking about looking into other organizations as well).

As far as bikini vs figure goes thats up to what you're more comfortable with and what your goals are. If you want to do figure I'd just go for it even if you're not where you want to be at your 1st show you can get useful feedback from the judges for your next show.

I'll PM you the person I worked with- I'd also get your shoes (and suit) early to practice walking in.