"if you ate meat, you'd be able to ________"

SO - not sure if i should post here or in general fitness... so if a mod wants to move it, go for it!

It's been a LONG time since i posted here... i think one of my last posts announced the birth of my youngest.... who is now 3 1/2!

But throughout the last few years i've felt wonderful getting back into shape after 3 pregnancies/births. I've been really active and committed in that sense, but not necessarily a routine. (Yoga, pilates, running and the usual living room workouts )

But then it dawned on me that, hmmmm.... my body is REFUSING to tone up in some areas. SO, i joined a gym. It's been great - but still those *areas* haunt me. I thought i'd chat with one of the personal trainers about a workout that would help me achieve my goals.

*SIDENOTE* : these areas are mid/lower abs, and upper thighs (not hamstrings) but up toward the hip flexors and then wrapped all around under the butt. Ya know, all those areas shorts COVER. But, truth is, i'm young. I'm active. healthy... and i work it. Is it too much to ask that i LOOK like i'm as strong as i feel??

So, i explain this to him (trainer) and aside from pointing out that i simply have aesthetic goals... (well, yeah.... so? i'm *already* healthy!) He goes on to say, "Please tell me you're not a vegetarian" nope. I'm not. (he smiles) I add, "I'm vegan".

He gives me the protein speech. My first frustration? I froze. I felt like i could say nothing to defend my position and quiet him. He wasn't rude directly - he was "respectfully" trying to educate me. It was really annoying. I told him to look Robert up and then tell me my muscles wouldn't tone up w/out meat and eggs.

I JUST wanted him to give me a good workout!!!! He did finally get to saying that i should lay off the running as it was only making me thinner and that i needed to spend more time doing more primal movements. I don't want to be a lean and weak tiny vegan. But i don't want to be bulky either. Just right in the middle, thanks! SO. What do i do? what would YOU do? My stomach and upper thighs just won't tone up.

I'd love any workout suggestions/diet plans/ supplements and hell, even lotions!

For the record, i eat high raw... and probably don't get enough protein.

Thank you SO much.... Starting my journal .......NOW.

More weight training! If you are on high raw and a female then there is about a 0.001% chance of you becoming bulky (AKA none). Your trainer was right about his exercise suggestions, if not his diet ideas. Also make sure you get a blood test done! I would classify a high raw diet as one that is very difficult to get all the nutrients you need in the proper amounts. Not saying you can't, but that regular blood tests can be very helpful in finding deficiencies.

thanks - that's encouraging By high raw, i mean that i eat a high amount of juices, smoothies, salads and sprouts... but i also eat a good amount of steamed greens, and a fair amount of tempe, quinoa and other beans. I try to go with how i'm feeling and eat what i feel my body is asking for. (BUT - i *am* a product of too much nutritional reading and research - which can lead to a head swimming with conflicting ideas!! )

I agree with the weight training need, but do you have any suggestions for specific routines that will help to really tap into and tone those annoying areas that are being oh-so-stubborn??

thanks again, in advance!

I agree with the trainer. Especially let up on the running if it is moderate pace for long periods of time. You need to add weight training in. The classic compound movements, squats, stiff leg deadlifts, etc. Do weightlifting 2-3 times a week, throw in 2 HIIT sessions which could include intervals of sprinting and walking or even bodyweight intervals such as burpee's, jumping jacks, mountain climbers, air squats, split jacks. Intensity is key with low rest periods to increase metabolism for the intervals. Then add in low intensity cardio 3 times a week or so for around 45 minutes, such as fasting walking.

Depending on how much your eating now, I would even consider upping your calories by including more protein and really focus on the weight training. If you've had your calories low for a while, it can make getting rid of fat around those area difficult to do. Even upping your calories by 500 or so 1-3 times a week can help tremendously by breaking through plateau's. Keep it simple and you will see great results.

......throw in 2 HIIT sessions which could include intervals of sprinting and walking or even bodyweight intervals such as burpee's, jumping jacks, mountain climbers, air squats, split jacks. Intensity is key with low rest periods to increase metabolism for the intervals. Then add in low intensity cardio 3 times a week or so for around 45 minutes, such as fast walking.

Depending on how much your eating now, I would even consider upping your calories by including more protein and really focus on the weight training. If you've had your calories low for a while, it can make getting rid of fat around those area difficult to do. Even upping your calories by 500 or so 1-3 times a week can help tremendously by breaking through plateau's. Keep it simple and you will see great results.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! Just the kind of details i was looking for!

However... I have no clue what HIIT sessions are, so i'll need to look more into that.

I posted in the online journal area what i've been eating.... but for an example, This morning i made a green smoothie of 3 bananas, 1 mango, chard, flax, hemp and spirulina..... I sipped on that, made some yerba mate and ate a greens + chocolate energy bar.

Went to the gym and worked with a medicine ball, did a bunch of squats, some dead lifts, and a few machines....

Sipped more smoothie. might make some quinoa for dinner...not sure. it' a hard balance to find...

Home for lunch, steamed some kale, and grilled up some tofu - (about the equivilant of 1/4 of block), put the kale and tofu in romaine leaves for a sort of taco - with a tahini lemon dressing on top.

That brings us to now... not sure what i'm doing for dinner.

I'm pretty thin - i'd love to gain muscle and loose that lanky loose look. I *am* toned in a lot of areas, but i hate "being vegan" and people knowing it - knowing i workout, and then seeing me in a swim suit - Toned in certain areas, really thin in some areas and loose/flabby in others. i don't like getting that, "it's cause you're vegan" look. it gets old. I want to look like, "wow! and you're vegan??? tell me more!!"

SO - how/what would you change re: diet? btw, i'm 29, 5'3'' and 110 lbs. - weight is not my concern here