Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Veganarchy's Lifestyle Journal entry #19
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:56 pm 
Rabbit

Workout summary for Friday, February 25:
- Attended a cycle class (60 min).
- Attended a core class (30 min).
Grade: A. Cycling is a lot of fun! I pushed myself pretty hard. Core was brutal after having biked rigorously for an hour.

Nutrition:
Calories: 1,415
Fat: 45.9
Carbs: 191.8
Protein: 78.5

Workout summary for Saturday, February 26:
- Attended a "Mixx" class (Combine cardio kickboxing, athletic drills, high-impact moves and low-impact/dynamic moves and you have one, high-energy, tough cardio workout. Sprinkle in some fun, stimulating funk moves and you have The Mixx.)
- Attended a cardio kickboxing class.
Grade: A. I didn't think I had it in me to take two classes today, but my endurance is really phenomenal these days and I finished pretty easily!

Nutrition:
Protein: 1,394
Fat: 40.6
Carbs: 176.0
Protein: 102.2
Grade: A+.

Changing it up:
After exactly 8 weeks of determination and diligence to treating my body with utmost respect, I've gone down from roughly 135 lbs and weigh 121 as of a couple of hours ago. Now that I've lost some excess fat (and gained a a respectable amount of muscle), I'm looking to build more muscle and really tone up. I suspect I won't see any major changes for the next 60 days.

Nutrition: I've been doing some research, and most articles say that it's not possible to build muscle without a surplus of calories (BMR + 250-500 calories). I've worked so hard to lower my body fat percentage, and I don't want to risk looking pudgy again. Does anyone know from personal experience: is it possible to put on more muscle simply by upping one's protein intake but keeping calorie intake like it has been (or having a calorie deficit?).

Exercise: My exercise plan is 3 days of strength training and 2 or 3 days of cardio. (Last week I got in 1 day of strength training, 3 days of cardio, 1 day of yoga, and 1 day of strength and cardio. This week I got in 2 days of strength training and 3 days of cardio.)

I'll be doing more research to figure out what will be the best for me nutrition-wise to achieve my goal of toning up, but any advice to help me in my journey would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any information!

Post subject: Re: Veganarchy's Lifestyle Journal entry #19
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:31 pm 
Elephant

Veganarchy wrote:
Does anyone know from personal experience: is it possible to put on more muscle simply by upping one's protein intake but keeping calorie intake like it has been (or having a calorie deficit?).

I would say it's nearly impossible to add any real amount of muscle on a calorie deficit, but people might disagree with me. High protein cutting diets exist to help you maintain the muscle you have, while getting rid of body fat at the same time....

Post subject: Re: Veganarchy's Lifestyle Journal entry #19
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:40 pm 
Rabbit

Fallen_Horse wrote:
Veganarchy wrote:
Does anyone know from personal experience: is it possible to put on more muscle simply by upping one's protein intake but keeping calorie intake like it has been (or having a calorie deficit?).

I would say it's nearly impossible to add any real amount of muscle on a calorie deficit, but people might disagree with me. High protein cutting diets exist to help you maintain the muscle you have, while getting rid of body fat at the same time....

I will take your word on it, Fallen_Horse, considering I went 400 calories over my BMR today. My body kept on chanting "Feed. Me. Feed. Me." aall day. Thanks for the reply.

Post subject: Veganarchy's Lifestyle Journal entry #20
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:57 pm 
Rabbit

Workout summary for Sunday, February 27:
NA. Sunday is my rest and recovery day.

Nutrition:
Calories: 2,759
Fat: 92.6
Carbs: 401.4
Protein: 129.1
Grade: ??? I am well over 100 grams of protein! That is great, considering my goal is 95 or higher (determined based off of research this article)...

... in terms of calories, I have decided (okay, somewhat by default) to follow my body on this one and will be consuming 250-500 calories above my BMR in order to gain more muscle mass. Yay, more food! I might just go grab an apple... But before I get too excited, I'm going to take a body fat test ASAP. I will compare my results to those in two weeks to analyze the potential effects of my diet change.

I appreciate any advice or suggestions, so send 'em my way!!

Post subject: Veganarchy's Lifestyle Journal entry #21
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:49 pm 
Rabbit

Workout summary for Monday, February 28:
Attended a strength training class. WHOO! <- That's how I feel it went.
Grade: A.

Nutrition:
Calories: 2,365
Fat: 83.4
Carbs: 327.0
Protein: 115.2
Grade: ? I'm going to get back on track starting tomorrow, considering I went over by about 500 calories today. My target for the next two weeks is 1625-1875 calories. I'm not scolding myself too much for the past two days since I should have been eating more this past week, anyway. But starting TOMORROW, it's back to careful planning.

Post subject: Veganarchy's Lifestyle Journal entry #22
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:40 pm 
Rabbit

Workout summary for Tuesday, March 1:
Attended a cycle class (60 minutes).
Grade: A. Intense!

Nutrition:
Calories: 1,708
Fat: 59.4
Carbs: 234.3
Protein: 79.5
Grade: B. I ate a lot of nuts today, which is why my fat was high in ratio to my protein (17% of calories from protein, 31% from fat). I was planning on staying at my BMR, but I find that it's nearly impossible to eat so few calories while on an intense exercise routine. I felt that it was overall a balanced day -- no overeating, and no going hungry!

Last edited by Veganarchy on Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Veganarchy's Lifestyle Journal
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:48 pm 
Stegosaurus

Hi there, just curious, are you trying to add muscle by only eating the number of calories you have calculated your BMR to be?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:10 pm 
Rabbit

lobsteriffic wrote:
Hi there, just curious, are you trying to add muscle by only eating the number of calories you have calculated your BMR to be?

Hey, lobsteriffic. I'm trying to gain muscle and lose fat over a long period of time by eating my BMR on cardio days and 250-500 calories on strength training days. My plan is strength training 3x per week, cardio 2x, and yoga 1x. I don't think that eating my BMR on cardio days is realistic, however. What are your thoughts? My goal is to get cut for the summer by keeping this routine up until them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:32 pm 
Stegosaurus

BMR is awfully low. That's how many cals you would burn if you laid in bed all day and did nothing! You seem to have pretty intense workouts. Honestly I don't think you are going to gain much muscle on this plan.

I get what you saying about body recomposition, i.e., more calories on strength days and less on cardio days. But I would probably eat more than your BMR. I can't really tell you a specific number since I don't know you and how your body reacts, but you are probably right in saying that eating the equivalent of your BMR isn't realistic.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:55 am 
Rabbit

lobsteriffic wrote:
BMR is awfully low. That's how many cals you would burn if you laid in bed all day and did nothing! You seem to have pretty intense workouts. Honestly I don't think you are going to gain much muscle on this plan.

I get what you saying about body recomposition, i.e., more calories on strength days and less on cardio days. But I would probably eat more than your BMR. I can't really tell you a specific number since I don't know you and how your body reacts, but you are probably right in saying that eating the equivalent of your BMR isn't realistic.

Yeah, I'm following my body's lead on this one and eating whenever it craves food. Yesterday I was planning on eating just my BMR but found that I would have gone incredibly hungry for half the day had I done so. I'm kind of taking it one day at a time for now and don't plan on doing anything too extreme. I think it's usually best to follow one's common sense, like the more one exercises or exerts oneself the more one needs to intake in order to recharge. Thanks for the confirmation on my decision, because it makes me even more sure I'm on the right track. <3

Post subject: Veganarchy's Lifestyle Journal entry #23
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:23 pm 
Rabbit

Workout summary for Wednesday, March 2:
Attended a strength training class.
Grade: A-. I'm debating whether or not to pick weights that are lighter next time so that I can push through the entire set instead of switching to the lighter set part way through. Hm... anyway, today's exercise was great; it went by pretty quickly. I'm not dreading upper body exercises as much anymore. I should note that my left arm is noticeably weaker than my right, which I just noticed today.

Nutrition:
Calories: 1,835
Fat: 62.2
Carbs: 240.1
Protein: 105.6
Grade: A. I wasn't even hungry for my last meal of the day, but I thought I should eat to fuel up since I'm looking to put on more muscle. Cool beans.

Post subject: Veganarchy's Lifestyle Journal entry #24
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:16 pm 
Rabbit

Workout summary for Thursday, March 3:
Attended a cycle/yoga class (30min/30min).
Grade: A. Cycling was intense. I thought my legs were going to fall off.

Nutrition:
Calories: 1,880
Fat: 56.0
Carbs: 267.9
Protein: 98.3
Grade: B. I'd rather see me on the lower end of calories on cardio days.

Post subject: Veganarchy's Lifestyle Journal entry #25
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:46 pm 
Rabbit

Workout summary for Friday, March 4:
- Attended a foundations strength class. The average age in the class was 45-50, I swear. I think I should keep going, though. I think I have a better idea of what I'm doing even after working out consistently over two months, but if I'm going to do this for the rest of my life I might as well build a solid foundation.
- Attended a 45min. core/pilates class.

Nutrition:
Calories: 2,094
Fat: 59.0
Carbs: 326.9
Protein: 90.0
Grade: B. I sure took the meaning of "calorie surplus" to heart this week.

Workout summary for Saturday, March 5:
Attended a yoga vinyasa 2 class.
Grade: A. My upper body was still pretty tender from earlier this week, so I took it easier on myself.

Nutrition:
Calories: 1,724
Fat: 64.3
Carbs: 245.8
Protein: 72.4
Grade: A. Doin' good.

Workout summary for Sunday, March 5:
Sundays are my rest and recover days.

Nutrition:
Calories: 1,730
Fat: 58.9
Carbs: 242.4
Protein: 90.8
Grade: B. I didn't get any leafy greens in today.

Post subject: Veganarchy's Lifestyle Journal entry #26
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:57 pm 
Rabbit

Workout Summary for Monday, March 7:
Attended a brutal conditioning class (strength + cardio).
Grade: B. I need to work up to classes that are this intense.

Nutrition:
Calories: 1,702
Fat: 56.7
Carbs: 246.9
Protein: 88.0

Workout Summary for Tuesday, March 8:
Attended a studio cycle class.
Grade: A. I pushed myself pretty hard.

Nutrition:
Calories: 1,800
Fat: 41.2
Carbs: 280.0
Protein: 105.3

Workout Summary for Wednesday, March 9:
Attended a strength training class.
Grade: A. I pushed myself really hard today and surprised myself.

Nutrition:
Calories: 1,881
Fat: 50.1
Carbs: 301.3
Protein: 92.8

Workout Summary for Thursday, March 10:
I woke up this morning and had a really sore throat; I think it's because I ate wheat and preservatives in a large amount for the first time in two months, but it might have just been a cold. Symptoms include: stuffed up nose, pressure in ears, sore throat, a lot of excess mucus and phlegm, a bit of an achy body, but no headache.

Nutrition:
Calories: 1,732
Fat: 51.4
Carbs: 261.4
Protein: 75.5
Grade: ?.

Workout Summary for Friday, March 11:
Woke up with a sore throat again, and was low on energy. I could have gone, but it might have been better that I stayed home.

Nutrition:
Calories: 1,611
Fat: 48.7
Carbs: 262.0
Protein: 64.6
Grade: ?.

Workout Summary for Saturday, March 12:
Attended a cardio kickboxing class.
Grade: B. I did okay for being on the low-energy side.

Nutrition:
Calories: 1,674
Fat: 36.8
Carbs: 287.9
Protein: 65.0
Grade: ?

I'm unsure of what my calorie intake should be these days, as I don't know whether to concentrate on bulking or cutting. I did start a new job that requires me to stand and move around for 4-6 hours several days a week, so I am wondering how that will play into my dietary needs. I will have to research some more and reassess things according to my body's needs.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:13 pm 
Elephant

Good job keeping up with the journal, I can never seem to stick with one! Any news of your progress? Going where you want to be going?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next