What do you do when you get discouraged?

penpen

I've been working out consistently for six months and sometimes I feel like my progress isn't enough. I know my main antagonist is genetics.. I don't come from a very muscular family and I had to work up to bench pressing a 25 pound bar when I first started working out.

I try to keep the mindset of just being the best I can be and not comparing myself to others.. but damn I wish I had kick ass arms. How long will it take me to get there? Does it generally take women a long time to get noticeably strong arms? Maybe my progression is also slow because I target my entire body rather than focusing on one area.

This was my progress after four months:

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/4571/16753017846015884168510.jpg

On the left was actually a week after I started working out.. before that week I had virtually no abdominal strength at all.. I didn't even feel any under the fat.

Looking at this picture makes me proud; maybe I'm just getting impatient. Someone tell me my arms are super beefy to make me feel better?

I think you should be proud - I see such a huge difference in those two pics! Especially on your stomach.

I feel what you are saying though. Sometimes I get bummed out because even though I've gained so much strength for ME, I'm still ridiculously weak compared to a LOT of other folks. But you are right, we should concentrate on being the best we can be.

Yeah, as above, you're looking a lot fitter and should be proud of what you've accomplished already. Concentrate on doing exercise that makes you feel good, rather than focusing solely on gains. When I get discouraged I have a nap, do something other than whatever I was feeling discouraged by, and get back to it feeling rested and enthusiastic

Don't get discouraged, you have made great progress for 6 months!!! It can take years to develop certain weak areas on your body (have you seen the "before pics" I posted not long ago in my journal of my spaghetti arms?). Keep working your whole body and I am sure in time you will see progress.

Dallas makes a good point. How much do you weigh? try to aim for at least 1 gram per pound of body weight. I also wonder what your overall diet looks like and you work outs? try keeping a journal on here. The feedback may help you from getting discouraged.

When I get discouraged I do many different things. Sometimes I just work harder, whether its more inensity, or a longer time, some times I change my routine, like trying Pilates, or Yoga which are not my favorites. I get discouraged a lot, but I just use it to my advantage, when I am at the gym. Sometimes it works better than other times.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys. Keeping a journal here sounds like a good idea. I just can't imagine getting 130grams of protein a day (that's how much I weigh). Protein powders and bars are so expensive... I have hemp protein but I don't use it too often.

I'll try to organize my diet some more.