Quest for strength!

Was working on a paper for school all yesterday and night so I had to skip training. Went to the training room today after handing in the paper and did the following:

Squats: 50 kg 1x5, 70 kg 1x5, 80 kg 1x5, 90 kg 5x5

Bench: 35 kg 1x10, 40 kg 1x5, 47,5 kg 5x5

BB-rows: 45 kg 3x10

Pull-ups: 3x5

Squats were hard, but I reached 90 without failing. Pretty happy with that. I am gonna force myself to do 92,5 kg Friday so I take the break, deload to 85 kg and go on again.

Bench was getting tough, but I just have to work my way up slowly.

Barbell rows were fine.

Pull-ups felt good.

I'm gonna do overhead press/deadlifts on Friday and then take a week off from the heavy weights (school break). I'll most likely do a lot of push-ups, pull-ups and ab work that week and hopefully I will get some running on as well. Haven't really been for a run since I started weightlifting back in October.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you, I do what I can!

So I have done a lot of running and climbing the last two days. Which meant that my legs were pretty sore before today's workout, so I decided to take an easy day.

Squats: 50 kg 1x10, 70 kg 1x5, 80 kg 3x5

OHP: 20 kg 1x10, 30 kg 5x5

Deadlift: 70 kg 1x5, 90 kg 1x5, 95 kg 1x1

I did light squats 'cause 92,5 kg 5x5 would have practically killed me today Also light overhead press. I think I need to eat more, 'cause I kinda feel I'm on a plateau on this lift.

Deadlift was great and I did a single on 95 kg. With two minutes longer rest I could probably have done 100 instead, but I decided to take it easy. Still happy with the 5 reps of 90 though.

I trained with a friend today, so after the deadlift we just jammed around doing some dips and pull-ups, having fun

Okay, so about the eating: I've been on ca. 3300 calories a day for the last month or so. Sometimes a little more, but I think I will need to up it to ca. 4000. I will be hitchhiking some during the next week so I am not gonna be able to eat that much there, but after that week I am going to up the calories. During the next week I will be working out with whatever I can find, which means different kind of (weighted) push-ups and pull-ups. I will be doing inverted rows, flies with some kind of heavy objects, overhead press and a lot of abs. I will also run a lot hopefully, if it's not snowing to much. Well, it's gonna be great with a break from the heavy weights, but on the other hand I can't wait to get back and blast some heavy stuff

Have a GREAT day!

Just finished today's workout and here's how it went:

My friend and I decided to skip the hitchhiking this time due to the not-so-good weather. It's been very stormy both yesterday and today, and snow is supposed to hit us again one of these days. But no snow today, and since you gotta keep your promises, I settled out for a run for the first time since I started weight training back in October. It was horrible! I ran my usual 5 km route but I did it five minutes slower than last time in October, and 6 minutes slower than my record that I certainly want to beat this spring/summer. And it was not because I didn't gave it what I had, I can already tell that my calves are gonna be sore tomorrow. But I have not been running for 4 months, which by the way was very stupid, looking back. It's been hard to schedule it in since I started lifting weights, but it's just a habit that I have to take up again, so I'm gonna run again Thursday I think. I really enjoy running when it's not so damn cold

After I came home I drank some water, ate an orange and then hit the weights. I have 2x5 kg dumbbells and 2x10 kg dumbbells, so even though it's not that much weight, it should provide me a solid workout when I don't have access to the heavier weights. Here's what I did:

2x8 - Regular push-ups with 10 kg in a rucksack

1x8 - Push-ups with 20 kg and hands on a chair

1x8 - Push-ups with 10 kg and feet on a chair

3x8 - Dumbbell flies

3x8 - Inverted rows under a table

3x10 - Dumbbell rows with no rest between sets (right arm, left arm, right arm etc.)

3x8 - Hammer curls, superset with weighted crunches and bicycles - no rest between sets

This got me pretty pumped up and I plan to do a similar workout Wednesday, unless someone has some suggestions? It's gotta be full upper body (the running takes care of the legs) and it has to be light enough that I can do it both Wednesday and Friday before going back to the heavy weights Monday.

As for the eating: I'm still tracking calories every day and so far I've managed 3000 kcal today with 100 grams of protein and only 30 grams of fat. I just finished my post workout smoothie and I think I will only have one or maybe two more meals today. I should end up with about 4000 kcal anyways. I think that should be enough on a workout day.

Well I hope you still enjoy reading the log, if so, feel free to ask if you are wondering about anything. I always enjoy talking to other vegan people, especially those lifting weights

Have a great day!

P.S. I just discovered that I forgot the pull-ups.. I'm gonna go and do them now over the stairs. It's too freaking cold to go outside in a tree!

Went for a nice run with a friend, then did weights something like this:

Regular weighted push-ups - 2 sets

Incline weighted push-ups - 1 set

Decline weighted push-ups - 1 set

Narrow grip pull-ups - 2 sets

Wide grip pull-ups - 3 sets

Dumbbell flies - 3 sets

Inverted rows - 3 sets

Hanging leg raises - 2 sets

Hammer curls - 3 sets

Dumbbell rows - 3 sets, no rest inbetween

Crunches/bicycles - 3 sets

Over and out

Today was back to the barbells - yeah!

Squats:

50 kg 1x10

70 kg 1x10

85 kg 5x5

Bench:

40 kg 2x10

50 kg 5,5,5,4,2

Barbell rows:

40 kg 3x5

Pull-ups 3x5, some dips, 4 sets of crunches and bicycles

Decided to go relatively light on squats to get back at it, but felt really good today. 70 kg is definately feeling lighter now, had no problems with the 10 reps and 85 kg felt a lot lighter than last time I did that weight. So I AM progressing, even though it may be slow

Bench was not that good, it's really slow on this one. I did 2 extra sets of 40 kg with 8 reps each after I had finished the barbell rows and pull-ups. This is one of the lifts I have to work hard on when I start a new program, which probably won't be that long.

Didn't have time to work out yesterday, so I did the following today:

Squat:

50 kg 1x10

70 kg 2x5

90 kg 5x5

Overhead Press:

22 kg 1x8

32,5 kg 5x5

Deadlift:

50 kg 1x5

70 kg 1x5

90 kg 1x5

Pull-ups with 6 kg sandbag: 3x5

Dips: 2x10, and then some weighted crunches to finish off

Well the squat was definately harder today, but I'm very positve about next week. I should hit 100 kg 5x5 in two weeks or less.

OHP felt good, not a lot of trouble there.

Deadlift also felt really good, I'm positve about 5 reps of 95 kg next time.

Took 10 min. break after deadlifts and then tried out weighted pull-ups for the first time. The last reps of each set, and especially the last two reps of last set was KILLER.. Really had to squeeze out all I had, but I did it, and it is very big progress in my opinion - really happy with it

If I feel for it and my arms are good, I'm gonna go down and do bench press/barbell rows and pull-ups tomorrow. No squatting until Monday, but I think I do the rest tomorrow. We'll see in the morning

Okay, was a bit sore, but I couldn't help going to the gym anyways

Bench:

50 kg: 5,5,4,4,3

42.5 kg: 1x8

Barbell rows:

42.5 kg: 3x5

Incline chest pulldowns:

40 kg 2x8

Pull-ups: 3xF

All in all, less than 45 minutes workout today, but it felt good doing something. Definately not satisfied with the bench, but hopefully I will make it Wednesday. I did bench 50 kg 5x5 a few weeks ago, but that was not full ROM, something that I am very aware of doing now. Arms fully extended and the bar touching the chest every rep.

Going to rest this whole weekend and then hammer some weights again Monday!

28/2 2011

Squats:

50 kg 1x10

70 kg 2x5

92.5 kg 5x5

Overhead press:

20 kg 1x10

35 kg 5x5

Deadlift:

50 kg 1x5

70 kg 1x5

95 kg 1x5

Pull-ups:

3x5

Squats were hard, form wasn't the best. Will be better next time.

Overhead press, had to squeeze it on the last reps but I'm optimistic about Friday.

Deadlift was not that good. Form was not the best, and 95 kg did not go up as easy as 90 last week. I'm gonna do 95 again Friday and do it with perfect form before I move on to 100. But I'm almost there now

Pull-ups, focused on good form. Almost hanging dead between every rep, and lifting up to the chest almost.

Bench:

50 kg 5x5

Squat:

50 kg 1x7

70 kg 1x7

80 kg 3x6

Barbell Rows:

45 kg 3x8

Dips: 3x5

Trained with two friends today and they had a new program where they started with benching, so I started with that as well so I could just work in with them. No warm-up, just jumped right into it and it went pretty well. I had to get a spot on the very last rep, but I figured that I need to move the weight up now so I can get used to the heavier weights so that 50 kg will seem easier next time I do it. So 52.5 kg on Monday and we'll see how that goes. Hopefully I will have a spotter there as well.

Squats, did 'em light today 'cause I was really sore yesterday and still feeling a tiny bit today. Want to recover a bit more before doing 95 kg Friday. But I'm gonna nail those 5 sets, no doubt!

Barbell Rows, felt rather easy today. Gonna up the weight next time, but will probably keep it at 8 reps pr. set.

Finished with bodyweight dips to hit chest and triceps a little more. No pull-ups or core today.

Did half an hour of training before class with a friend. Just some sets of pull-ups, dips and bodyweight squats. Nothing special. Then after school, did the following:

Squat:

60 kg 1x10

80 kg 1x5

95 kg 5x5

Overhead Press:

30 kg 1x10

37.5 kg 5x5

Deadlift:

70 kg 1x5

95 kg 1x2

Pull-ups: 9,5,5

Dips: 5,5,5

The squats took my breath completely away today. Almost couldn't finish the last set and I can imagine my form wasn't pretty here. I finished it, but it was tough.

Was tired after this but I managed to do 37.5 kg on overhead press anyways. I jerked the last rep on 5th set, but just like bench I wanna get used to some heavier weights and then I'm sure 37.5 kg will feel much easier in a couple of weeks.

I was in a bit of a hurry, only about 50 minutes to train in, so after the Press I was so exhausted that I couldn't even do 5 reps of 95 kg deadlift. Gave up and went to band practice, then afterwards, couple of hours later, the gym was still open so I went down and did 3 sets of pull-ups and dips.

I am not sure whether or not to continue to squat 3 times a week. It's getting really heavy to max out every single time, so I am thinking about squatting only Monday and Friday. I'm not really sure how it's gonna work out, but I will try some things out over the next weeks and see how it goes. It's about time for a new program anyways, but I quite like this one, so I think I will stay on something similar until the summerbreak. Maybe change the number of sets/reps a bit, but the overall form fits me quite well at the moment.

Thank you/ tak

Today's workout:

Squat:

50 kg 1x10

70 kg 3x6

Bench:

52.5 kg 5,5,3,3,3

BB-rows:

45 kg 3x8

Dips: 3x5

Crunches and hanging knee raises

I did some core exercises and squats in gym class today, so I wasn't up for squatting 95 kg 5x5. Did some light sets and moved on. Going heavy Wednesday.

I didn't warm up on the bench, just like last time. It seems to be going okay. I did the two sets all by myself and then for the last 3 sets I had my spotter assist me on the last to two reps so I did what I could on my own and then when I couldn't get it up, he held a hand under the bar and assisted it. That way I got 5 reps for each set and a little more pump out of it, but I'm still only counting the reps I did on my own. Gonna try something similar next time if there's someone around and hopefully I will be able to do it on my own in 1 or 2 workouts.

Finished with dips and a little core work, but I was in a hurry so nothing special.

Squat:

50 kg 1x10

70 kg 1x5

85 kg 1x5

97,5 kg 5x5

Overhead Press:

30 kg 1x5

40 kg 5,5,5,4,4

Deadlift:

50 kg 1x5

70 kg 1x5

95 kg 1x3

100 kg 1x3

Chinups: 2x8

WUHU! Had a killer workout, finally getting those magical 100 kg on deadlifts - well at least magical for me, this is a lot for me

Started with squats, and I could really feel it afterwards, I was really exhausted. But I made it. Monday is gonna be 100 kg 5x5 and after that I think I am going to deload and lift a little less weight for a little more reps.

Overhead Press was a killer, I didn't make the last two sets but I was close and I'm sure I'm gonna nail it next time.

Deadlift, oh boy, this felt good! I was still exhausted from the squats and OHP but as I lifted the 95 kg I could feel it going up rather easy so I went for 100 afterwards. I think my form was okay, I could really feel it in my lower back muscles after the lifts, but it was not in a bad way at all. Pretty sure I will have some DOMS in the legs tomorrow, though

Finished with chinups and called it a day. Hell yeah!

Lookin' solid and consistent there oneoranother! Keep it up man!

BTW, what's your weight these days?

If you're doing SL5x5, I would encourage you to follow what's outlined in the SL 5x5 report and not deload until you fail to get 5x5 at the same weight 3 consecutive sessions. (3 W/O's at 100kg and NOT reaching 5X5 all three times)

Just make sure you're eating BIG and foam rolling...squatting three days a week is TOUGH! But, stick with it and ride out the progress as long as you can. ...just my .02... You can do it!

Weight has been up to 65 kg the last three mornings, so I'm gaining steadily. Fat percentage acutally went down a tiiiiny bit also.

I'm not really sure what to do. I have about 3 months until summerbreak which means nearly 2 months without barbells. So maybe I should just stick with Stronglifts until that time, but I am also eager to get some more running in and that is kind of hard when squatting 3 times a week. Like I said, I think I will just try out some things and see how it goes. I am going to stay on the 5x5 routine for bench and millitary press anyways, so yeah. I'll do what I feel for - thanks for the support

Did 35 pushups this morning - some months ago I could do 24! Weight has gone up 5 kg since then and when I think about it, I have not done a lot of pushups since then, so it must be the bench pressing that is working. Just imagine what I could do if I actually started doing pushups

Well, next week I am gonna workout 4 days. Bench monday/thursday and deadlift tuesday/friday. Squat Monday and Thursday I think. The week after I'm gonna be on a trip with my class, so no working out for a week. I'm gonna do pushups, ab work and pull-ups if I can find a place to do them. It's gonna be fun anyways!

So bench pressing tomorrow, see you then!

Squat:

50 kg 1x5

70 kg 1x5

80 kg 1x3

90 kg 1x3

100 kg 3x5

Bench:

50 kg 5x5 (+2)

BB-rows:

50 kg 5x5

Dips: 3x8 (superset with crunches in between)

When I had done the first couple of warm-up sets I could already tell this wouldn't be good. By the end of third set of 100 kg I was so exhausted I couldn't do more. It wasn't my legs as much as my back, so I decided to call it quit and move on. My spotter wasn't there today, so I didn't want to do 55 kg bench and only complete the first set or two. So I did 50 kg with good form and actually managed 7 reps on the last set.

Barbell rows was a bit tough but I think I'll move up in weight Thursday. Hopefully I can do 5x5 on the squats also.

I'm still going to aim for deadlifting tomorrow. Like I mentioned, no barbells next week so I might as well be exhausted by the end of this week cause I will have plenty of time to recover. Will be back tomorrow!

Thursday: Woke up with a cold and zero energy. Went to the gym after school, but I stopped after short time. Was not in the mood at all. In addition I had no spotter, so I didn't take chances with bench. Might have been able to do more reps on 55 kg, but I didn't want to fail without a spotter at that time.

Bench:

50 kg 1x5

55 kg 4,3,3

50 kg 1x5

Bb-rows:

50 kg 3x5

That was it, had no energy.

Today Friday: Much more energy in the morning. Went to the gym after school.

OHP:

30 kg 1x6

40 kg 5x5

Deadlift:

50 kg 1x5

70 kg 1x5

80 kg 1x5

90 kg 1x5

100 kg 1x5

Pull-ups with 6 kg sandbag:

5,5,8 (dropped the sandbag after 5 reps and took 3 more)

Dips:

Chin-ups:

3x8 (with crunches in between)

100 kg felt much easier than last time. Focused on flexing all muscles at the bottom before lifting and it felt good. Now it's 9 days without barbells so I am going to rest and get energy in that time. Think I will do push-ups in the morning and see where it goes. I leave for my trip Sunday and will be back Friday night.

Work hard

• 2 weeks later...

Squat:

50 kg 1x5

70 kg 1x5

90 kg 1x5

100 kg 1x3

105 kg 1x1

110 kg 1x1

Bench:

50 kg 2x5

55 kg 4,3

50 kg 2x5

45 kg 2x8

Cable rows: 3 sets

Pull-ups: 10

Wanted to test my max squat just for fun. I managed 110 kg, but I still think I want to start working a little lower weight. We'll see.

Don't know what's happening with bench. Still cannot seem to do the 55 kg. It might be that I am not eating enough, so I am considering just stuffing myself completely the next 2 months and then cut in the summer when I don't have access to heavy barbells anyways.

Did some cable rows, wasn't really up for barbell rows. Finished with 1 set of 10 pull-ups. Not deadhanging but I think still pretty good, considering I had more left in the tank afterwards.