Nutrition Question - Can I see what you typically eat?

I think you are proving my point? I told her to eat veggies and protein, and eat under her maintenance calories. How does there need to be more detail than that?

Look at the math I presented. You can eat less than your maintenance calories and gain weight if you eat the right foods to maintain your weight, and the wrong foods to restrict your calories. For example, replacing lentils with avocados (a vegetable which is 75% fat).

And according to fitday, pork ribs are mostly protein. About 2/3's protein and 1/3 fat.

I disagree, but apparently the OP is satisfied. Oh, and pork ribs are 54% fat http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/pork-products/2270/2

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fallen_Horse,

You disagree that fiber is not readily digestable? Please show some studies that show the carbs in fiber are available for energy. You keep saying it is as simple as burn more calories than you consume, but then you also state that we should eat veggies and protein. Why can't someone eat donuts and potato chips and keep their calories below their maintenance calories?

FallenHorse you agree with the ten cans of tuna per day ? You didn't say anything about it , and it works with your 3 rules.

Yes, as long as you watch the mercury levels...

Well that's the point; eating this way is NOT watching mercery levels, that's exactly why I chose tuna, this much everyday would intoxicate a person for sure. What me and Ducati are trying to say is just that it's much, much more complex than what you said with your 3 rules. There's a hundred sub-rules attached to it. Its not just "eat veggies and protein, and eat under her maintenance calories. How does there need to be more detail than that?" In order to lose weight and stay healthy, a good diet must be at least 50% : organic, raw, unprocessed whole food, lots of fruits and veggies (and an important detail you haven't mentioned, to eat no cookies, chips,etc, or very little). Because someone could eat lots of fruits, veggies, protein (and what kind?) AND eat donuts each day.

Fallen_Horse,

You disagree that fiber is not readily digestable? Please show some studies that show the carbs in fiber are available for energy. You keep saying it is as simple as burn more calories than you consume, but then you also state that we should eat veggies and protein. Why can't someone eat donuts and potato chips and keep their calories below their maintenance calories?

Oh they can, and they will die at 50 from the various ailments that come from eating that junk. My rules aren't just weight loss rules, they are rules for losing weight AND being healthy.

FallenHorse you agree with the ten cans of tuna per day ? You didn't say anything about it , and it works with your 3 rules.

Yes, as long as you watch the mercury levels...

Well that's the point; eating this way is NOT watching mercery levels, that's exactly why I chose tuna, this much everyday would intoxicate a person for sure. What me and Ducati are trying to say is just that it's much, much more complex than what you said with your 3 rules. There's a hundred sub-rules attached to it. Its not just "eat veggies and protein, and eat under her maintenance calories. How does there need to be more detail than that?" In order to lose weight and stay healthy, a good diet must be at least 50% : organic, raw, unprocessed whole food, lots of fruits and veggies (and an important detail you haven't mentioned, to eat no cookies, chips,etc, or very little). Because someone could eat lots of fruits, veggies, protein (and what kind?) AND eat donuts each day.

I think you are looking way too into it. And I feel like I need to point out again that donuts and chips and cookies don't fit within my rules (look to my previous statement in this post). And it's fine if you want to argue the tuna point all day, but we are all vegans here, so obviously none of us are eating tuna, and neither was the OP, so I felt a rule saying "Oh and don't eat tuna" was pretty much a useless rule to mention, because it is. And I'm sure you won't believe this, but there are brands of tuna that test with very low mercury levels, enough to eat 10 cans a day. It seems like you are trying to turn this into a meats vs. veggies debate, which is fine, but it seems unrelated to the OP's topic...

No, your rules are not for weight loss. It is NEVER that simple. You simply state you disagree, but it is fact. It you replace your maintenance fiber calories with a lower number of calories comprised of non-fiber carbs, fat, or protein, you will gain weight.

I listened to people like you for years. "It is simple! Burn more calories then you take in." As someone who loved beans, lentils, and other high fiber foods, I was convinced to replace those high carb meals with low carb replacements. I was eating less calories and gaining weight. I replaced 300 - 400 free calories of fiber with 100 - 200 calories of protein and fat.

If it were really as simple as you say, we would all have wash board abs.

From Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietary_fiber#Fiber_and_calories

Fiber means nothing for a diet. If you eat a food with 100 cals and 100g of fiber and switch to a food with 100 cals and 0g of fiber, nothing will change, other than your feeling of fullness. You are still getting 100 cals of energy from food, period.

If it were really as simple as you say, we would all have wash board abs.

It's not that it's not simple, it's that it takes motivation, work, and the ability to not use food as a stress reliever, an emotional crutch, or a temptation...

FYI, a food with 100g of fiber would, at a minimum, contain 400 calories of carbohydrates if it were 100% fiber. Look on any label. Fiber is listed under carbohydrates and is also 4 cals per gram. Those calories are listed in the total calories of the nutritional content of the food.

Look on any label. Fiber is listed under carbohydrates and is also 4 cals per gram. Those calories are listed in the total calories of the nutritional content of the food.

You are ignoring my point, and obviously didn't read the link. But I am done arguing. It is serving no purpose at this point. Peace.

I think you are looking way too into it. And I feel like I need to point out again that donuts and chips and cookies don't fit within my rules (look to my previous statement in this post). And it's fine if you want to argue the tuna point all day, but we are all vegans here, so obviously none of us are eating tuna, and neither was the OP, so I felt a rule saying "Oh and don't eat tuna" was pretty much a useless rule to mention, because it is. And I'm sure you won't believe this, but there are brands of tuna that test with very low mercury levels, enough to eat 10 cans a day. It seems like you are trying to turn this into a meats vs. veggies debate, which is fine, but it seems unrelated to the OP's topic...

Ok so your rules work for only one person. Fine, I won't disagree with that.

Concerning some brands of tuna that are tested with a low level of mercury... Define what is low, safe, acceptable... The government don't watch for our health they just manage a certain level of safety, which does not exclude a few cancers, sick people and dead people.

I'm a late day eater. It's probably not the best thing but it helps me keep my calories in check and I am never hungry in the morning.

I have no set stuff for breakfast, lunch and dinner but this is what I typically eat on a daily basis.

Stir fried tofu with a medly of veggies

brown rice and beans ( any type )

oatmeal w/dried currants or a tsp of jam

vegetarian indian food ( use your imagination here. I live off of indian food almost daily )

• 1 month later...

I am at battle with meat eaters in the gym, who say I will never stray from a "soft" body as long as I'm Vegan! Well, I have been Vegan almost 1 year and training hard the whole time, turns out I have 98lbs of lean mass on my 5'4 frame! I am also only about 140lbs.

I have some work to do forsure as I am at 21% body fat, here is my current diet--suggestions would be wonderful

8am) Breakfast

2 Soy breakfast patties

1 Sourdough or Whole wheat english muffin

Soy cheese

Water and black coffee

11am) Post Workout

Shake containing:

1 scoop of Veg Protein Powder (roughly 23 gr protein)

1 cup raspberries

1.5 Cups almond milk

1 tbsp ground flax seed

Water

1pm) Lunch

1 block tofu pan fried in 1 tea olive oil

1/4 cup edamame

1/4 cup slice mushrooms

1 tbsp of low cal/low carb stir fry sauce

150 calories work of 85% cocoa dark chocolate

Water

3pm) Snack

Vegan Protein Bar containing 16 g protein

Water

6pm) Dinner

Soy chicken breast

2 cups spinach

1 oz shredded soy cheese

8pm) B4 bed

Protein powder mixed with water

My diet is generally 30-40% protein, 30-40% carbs and 15-20% fat

I usually eat between 1400-1600 calories daily

I do 60min-120min of cardio per day and weight train 6x a week

I want to move from 21% body fat--16% body fat.

Do you think I am on the right track?

Standard day for me:

1st meal: 2 scoops chocolate Vega Whole Meal Optimizer, 1.25 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1 banana, ice in a blender.

2nd meal: veggie burger, with or without Daiya cheese, either with salsa or mustard.

3rd meal: some form of veggie mixture, either a serving of my veggie casserole or a veggie wrap

4th meal: repeat of second

5th meal: Veggies with hummus

6th meal: protein smoothie: 1 banana, 1/4 cup pineapple, 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1 serving vanilla flavored brown rice protein powder, 1 serving vanilla flavored Vegan Protein, ice in a blender

I have in a day:

2 bowls of about 60 grams of oats (two protein powder sized scoops) and a handful of trail mix nuts and seeds.

1 bowl of about 60 grams of Quinoa boiled and mixed with organic tomato pasta sauce.

~5 dates

~5 apricots

~1 banana

~Tahini spoonful

~ Coconut oil and walnut oil 1 spoon each

~ 2-3 spoons of blackberry 100% fruit no sugar jam.

AND if I come across salad or veggies I just eat a big bowl. But some days I don't so I have not put on the list.

• 1 month later...

1. 1 cup of orange juice, 1 apple, 1 tbsp molases, 2 medjule dates

(Train)

2. Protein shake (24grams of protein ((Sprouted Brown Rice Protein)), 1 banana, 2 medjule dates, 1tsp maca)

3. 3/4 cup of dry steel cut oats (When I cook them, They expand to more than 3/4 cups. so maybe like 2 1/2 cup of cooked steel cut oats?), 2tbsp flax seed, 1 apple.

4. Green smothie (Kale, Collard Chard, and Carrots, 1tsp spirlina, 2 dates, 1 banana, 24grams of protein (Sprouted brown Rice Protein),

5. 1 cup of Lentil Dahl, 1/2cup of wheat berries

6. Cold Slaw, 4tbsp Hemp Seed

7. 1 cup adzukie beans

8. 1tbsp flax before bed.

• 1 month later...

I'm still working out some kinks in the middle of the day and seeing if there is any positive change when I have 2400 days vs 2300 days but my diet looks like this, in general. It's about 2200-2300 kcal a day which I function well on. I don't have nor do I crave much diversity in my diet besides swapping out lentils with beans and rotating my veggies, nut butters, seeds, and nuts, and carbs. I mostly bake and if I do bake something I replace my oats before bed with it, like a huge lump of pumpkin bread and soymilk. I drink about 100 ounces of water a day, and usually have 4-8 cups of tea scattered around.

Breakfast:

1 Slice of Sprouted Bread

PWO:

15g Now True Food Vegan, 30g Rice Protein Isolate, 1/4 TSP EGCG

1 Piece of Fruit

Snack:

100g Edamame or 1 Glass of Soymilk

32g Nut Butter

Snack:

15g Now True Food Vegan, 30g Rice Protein Isolate, 1/4 TSP EGCG

1 TBSP Flaxseed Meal or Ground Seeds

Dinner:

300g Lentils or Beans (Usually with onion, garlic, and sometimes carrots and celery)

140g Whole Wheat Pasta or 200g Brown Rice

100g Steamed Veggies

1 TBSP Olive Oil or 1 TBSP Tahini, or 1/2 an Avocado

16g Nut Butter and 14g Nuts

Snack:

100g Oats w/ 40g Raisins or Cranberries and 1 TBSP Sweetener or Stevia

That looks pretty clean CY! Are you having good results from the warrior diet? How much protein does that work out too? It looks like a good amount.

I like the warrior diet a lot, I will never go back to eating any other way. I don't think it's super efficient for 'bulking' but I've never believed in the bulking mentality anyway and I am making similar gains on the Vegan WD to my omnivore bulking diet. The biggest reason I love it is because I am able to stay lean while I gain muscle mass and strength. Before about 5-6 o'clock I only consume about 800-900 kcal which is a bit more than I was previously eating as an omnivore, about 600-750. But I need more food compensation as a vegan. After 5 or 6 I just start stuffing food down. Extremely satisfying.

My diet works out to about 150-160g of protein per day. I don't focus on protein too much but I always make sure to at least get my body weight, it's too over rated in my opinion. My body likes carbs better. I think protein has it's place but without carbs it doesn't really mean squat. I honestly think the 200+g of carbs I eat a day spares a lot of the protein I eat making it more efficiently used for building mass.

I find that eating clean as a vegan is incredibly simple and it is nearly impossible for me to screw up my 'diet'. I avoid artificial colors and flavors, trans fat, fried food, preservatives, animal products, HFCS, as much processed sugar as possible, GMO foods, and un-organic food. I also limit soy and wheat to a serving or two a day. Once every couple weeks I'll get some trans fat free french fries from Burger Lounge and a ginger beer though, or a Jamba Juice, or something from Starbucks. =P

As a side note I find being vegan fills me with a greater sense of peace and allows me to focus more on tasks I set.

• 1 month later...

2 slices gluten free brown rice bread

1 TBSP peanut butter

1TBSP hemp seeds

2 dates

Protein Shake (Raw Protein from Garden of Life)

1/2 cup hemp milk

1/2 banana

scoop Amazing Grass Chocolate Drink powder

small salad of cucs, tomatoes, arugula, 1 TBSP pumpkin seeds

veggie burger wrap (brown rice wrap, homemade black bean and wild rice burger) with 2 TBSP avocado, ketchup, and kale

decaf soy latte

Macro Green Apple Lemon Ginger bar

1/2 apple with cinnamon

1/2 cup lentils, 1/2 cup wild rice, 1 cup broccoli, 1 TBSP nutritional yeast, baked tofu

Protein shake with Amazing Grass powder, 1 cup rice or almond milk, 1 TBSP Brazil nut butter, sprinkle of granola and some cacao nibs..and a small piece of extra dark chocolate:)

• 1 month later...

Ah, I didn't see this sticky thread and first saw another one about daily eating, so sorry for the double post :P. I was vegetarian and am now vegan, and here's a sample of what my diet looks like in 1 day :

Breakfast:

-2 slices toast w/ Earth Balance & Marmalade

-1.5 cups granola & nut cereal fortified with vitamin B6 + 1 cup hemp bliss

-1 glass Kombucha

Lunch:

-4 Burritos w/ veggie ground round, tomatoes, lettuce, orange bell pepper, and a thai peanut sauce

Dinner/workout:

-1 glass Kombucha

-Pita + roasted pine nut hummus

-1.5 cups mixed berry juice with 16g raw hemp protein

-1.5 cups cabbage soup w/ tomatoes & Barley

-Handful of almonds

-1 cup almond milk w/ 8g raw hemp protein

-Deva vegan multivitamin

-1 pill 5-HTP

• 2 weeks later...

I thought my body was telling me to eat more bread but I started feeling sluggish even eating sprouted bread so I replaced it all with fruit. So now I am just pretty much eating fruit, vegetables, nuts, seeds, legumes, oats, soy milk, and protein/now true food vegan.

I don't have a lot of money to spend on food so I mostly buy apples, bananas, and seeded grapes. But if kiwis and mangoes are on sale I grab those, also when they have whole pineapple and coconuts I will grab a few because they last a while in the fridge and can last me a few days each. I don't do well with citrus fruit, it hurts my stomach.

I have trouble digesting most nuts with my medical condition so I usually just eat walnuts and peanut butter. I need to buy a good compact blender so I can make my own almond butter and stuff, plus for my smoothies every morning. I like hemp seeds and flax seeds best.

As for vegetables I steam them mostly and/or cook them into my dinner, carrots, onions, garlic, celery. Plus some spinach, broccoli, string beans, mixed veggies, they all taste great with just pepper. Lately I've discovered how fun it is to eat a head of lettuce or green pepper like an apple. lol.

I switch between lentils, chickpeas, and beans for dinner. I also add olive oil, cold pressed unfiltered to my dinner. I eat oat meal every couple days too just because it's so tasty. Then there is my protein powder, I don't go overboard with it, a scoop a day, plus a scoop of now true food vegan to cover all my bases, I'll be switching it with an organic super food multi once I am out.

Here's a typical day.

Breakfast:

1 cup soymilk

1 large banana

28g hemp seed or flax seed

Post workout:

1/2 Now True Vegan/ 1/2 Pea/Rice/Soy/Hemp Protein

1 Apple

Lunch:

28g Walnuts or Peanut Butter

Handful of Grapes or Something Else and 1 Banana

Dinner:

325g Legumes or Beans With Lots of Veggies Cooked in and Olive Oil

100g Steamed Veggies or Some Celery, Lettuce, Avocado, or Pepper, Raw

Snack:

Large Banana and Some Oats or Some Other Fruit

Bedtime:

1/2 Now True Vegan/ 1/2 Pea/Rice/Soy/Hemp Protein

Honestly I started eating this way out of laziness. Working on my van it was easier to grab a bunch of fruit and nuts than make something. And my strength has skyrocketed. I'm not even kidding you. My bench is up 15lbs. Which is a lot, considering I was stuck at 145. People look at you funny when you go to the store and most of what you get is fruit and veggies. Durhur where's your potater chipz.