Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: gsop_3's body transformation workout log
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:38 am 
Elephant

Food looks great!

Don't need fancy equipment to strength train ;) Anything more than bars, racks and benches are a distraction

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:17 pm 
Rabbit

The new program sounds good. The lunch tray looks amazing. I wish I had one of those waiting for me every midday. Your tip on particular stretches before squats has been helpful for me too, cheers!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:41 pm 
Rabbit

Hey guys! Right on!! I am SO thankful for the food here.

@Chewy YEAH BUDDY! Plus, nobody else uses the free weight stuff I use anyways! HAHA they all use the machines. :P I NEVER have to wait! :lol:

@TF glad to hear the stretching is helping! keep up the great work! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:55 am 
Rabbit

5/3/1 cycle 1 week 1 session 2
Today's W/O:

Warmed up the shoulder girdle with arm circles, dislocates, etc.

Bench:
1x5 - 78kg
1x5 - 83kg
1x8 - 88kg (barely squeaked out the last rep.) Followed by DC-style stretch
5x10 - 52kg (I exploded up and sent the bar in the air and caught it after each rep)

Stopped only long enough to get the bar on the ground and set up for rows.

BB Rows:
5x10 - 45kg (super strict, focused on form - arched back parallel to the ground-"big butt", squeezing the shoulder blades back and driving the elbows to the ceiling while eliminating momentum caused by hip drive)

All lifting was finished in under 30min. :boxer:

Treadmill for 2.25km in 15min. average speed of about 9km/hr. may not look like much but for me it is. ;) Maybe I'll work some sprint intervals in there somewhere with box jumps! :D

left, right, prone planks for 40 seconds each.

Tomorrow is St. Patrick's Day! Don't forget to wear some green! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:21 pm 
Gorilla

What are all the things on that tray? I'm guessing the reddish stuff in the top middle is kim chi? the green stuff on the left some kind of pickled thing maybe? obviously a banana at the bottom...what's the purple rice? does it have poi in it or something? I ask because there's an asian market close by and I might want to look for some of things.

"Kill! Kill! Multiply! 'Til the skies are black and the rivers dry!"
-Atreyu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:57 am 
Rabbit

The purple rice is actually black before it's cooked. It's rather pricey so they usually just mix a little into the regular white rice...adds a nice nutty flavor. The lower right is potatoes and celery, top middle is the kimchi, left is cabbage, cucumber, chili peppers and garlic with sesame oil and salt...sort of "pickled" :lol:
top right is seaweed with carrots and garlic...probably just stir fried with some salt and soy sauce. And last but not least, obviously, the bananas! :D mouth watering yet? know mine is! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:59 am 
Rabbit

Today's W/O:
Friday 3/18/2011

5/3/1 cycle 1 week 1 session 3

Deadlifts:

1x5 - 85kg
1x5 - 105kg
1x5 - 127kg
1x5 - 135kg
1x5 - 144kg
5x10 - 85kg

20 minutes and DONE!

Going out of town for the weekend - be back to it on Monday. I'll do chins tomorrow but may not be able to get in the OHP that's prescribed.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:03 am 
Rabbit

So, I was traveling all weekend and spent about 24 hours on the road...not a good situation for DOMS in the lower back from Friday's deadlifting! I'm still in OUCH! mode. Plus, I developed a pain in my right knee just above the kneecap. I hope it clears up tomorrow!
I think I ate maybe 3 meals the whole weekend, too. :( felt like I was wasting away! mostly just poor planning on my part. Either way, got a bit of catching up to do. I wonder how it's going to affect my lifting tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:59 pm 
Rabbit

It's always tough to keep it up when you're on the road. Hope the knee and back pains clear up quickly. Why do you do a lower weight/heigher rep set at the end of your exercises?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:55 pm 
Rabbit

@TF Good question! The lower weight/higher rep at the end is simply one of the many options for the 5/3/1 format. For me, I feel it's a good way to add volume to the W/O and as a "finisher." Also, I find that doing lower weight/higher reps at the end helps my main lifts at the heavier weights (when used as assistance work).
When I'm fighting through a sticking point on a final rep, I don't want to fail because the muscle has no endurance or is fatigued. This helps take care of that. That, and making sure I've got enough nutrition (glycogen stores). This may certainly be different for others, but that's my experience and "logic." :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:28 am 
Rabbit

For those that are curious about the
5/3/1 as I am doing it,
here is a snapshot from the spreadsheet I created.

Attachment:
5_3_1 sample 4-week cycle.JPG
5_3_1 sample 4-week cycle.JPG [ 36.92 KiB | Viewed 837 times ]

It's set up for anybody to use...just need to plug in the main numbers and it figures out the weights for each session for you...all the way out to (5) 4-week cycles, so 20 weeks total.
If you'd like a copy, PM me.

Today's W/O:

Originally, I was going to just skip the OHP session and keep on track with the squats for today. BUT, the knee pain was more than I could bare. Jogging this morning was really rough, but felt better toward the end. Later, I tried a REALLY light set of 10 with only 35kg and it was screaming during every rep. The lower back just feels like DOMS, so I'm not worried there. The knee issue is NOT a happy thing...more like a knife being jammed into my thigh just above the kneecap. I'll continue to stretch and roll the area and hope it's better in time to squat on Wednesday. I'll also probably take some anti-inflammatory meds tonight and follow the RICE principle.
Overall I wasn't very motivated today in light of the knee issue, even though I got 9 reps on the last core set...my only consolation. :(

cycle 1 session 4

OHP:
1x5 - 53kg
1x5 - 57kg
1x9 - 60kg
5x10 - 35kg

20 minutes and DONE!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:55 am 
Rabbit

Thanks for putting the spreadsheet up. Nice going on the OHP, when I looked at the spread I assumed that was pounds and thought "still decent". Did you get chin ups in too?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:10 pm 
Stegosaurus

This log is great, love seeing the pics!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:19 pm 
Rabbit

Thanks ya'll!

Actually, Trillium, it's kg. ;) and I didn't do the chins yesterday (it's my least favorite) PLUS, I've been considering skippin' the assistance exercises through this cycle since I am still planning to go back to SL5x5 after once through the 5/3/1 and the point is to give my body the rest it needs to be able to squat three times a week again.

go get 'em! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:07 am 
Rabbit

Today's W/O:

This morning I went for a light jog of 600m just to feel out the knee. It actually felt a little painful, but WAY better than yesterday. Afterward, I spent over an hour rolling out the legs and glutes with the bat and a glass sphere about the size of a softball
(the piriformis got extra attention this morning! :lol: )
Everything was feeling great after all of that, so I figured, "why not get some squats in and get caught up with the schedule!" It turned out to be a great idea and after squatting the knee pain was completely gone. Seems a bit bizarre that the thing that was so painful to do is actually what made the pain go away!

Squats:
1x10 - 85kg
1x5 - 95kg
1x3 - 109kg
1x3 - 116kg
1x8 - 123kg (quite pleased with this, thank you berry much!) :boxer:
5x10 - 68kg

Leg Curls:
5x10 - 40kg

All finished in under 30 minutes. I'm really enjoying the short workouts here.
I hope I'll still want to go back to SL5x5 after this cycle! :lol:
What ever works best! We'll see at the end of this 4-week cycle and go from there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next