"Growing Larger" is really happening... My online journal

extra sleep = good recovery. good thing when you can get it!

Amen to that. But finding that extra sleep sometimes is tuff!

Today for example MaryStella: I had a really stressful day at work. Stuff coming at me from all directions. Got home-Walked the pooch and back in the truck to the gym. By the time I was halfway thru my workout, my eye lids were getting heavier.. and heavier... Routine still went OK, despite the lack of energy. (But the drive was still there-otherwise I would have stayed home on the couch)

Today was delts and shoulders: (after 5 min warm up)

Moved the dips first as I wanted the most energy to go to these. 1x12-1x12-1x10-1x8-1x6

(all assisted later in the rep count-I use one leg to assist so I can adjust the amount on each rep)

Front delt raises

side dealt raises

rope pulldowns and done as a superset w/

upright rows

lying DB delt extensions

Seated DB behind the head extentions.

Shower-a little dinner and protein drinks-then sleep!!!

Tomorrow is leg day.(actually I plan to work out both legs ) Later all!

Before I forget: One of my post workout drinks-Vega-fozen berries and bananas and Sunwarrior.

IMG_2964.jpg.4984f8b933518c94741511e6268a1d06.jpg

Edited by growinglarger

• 2 weeks later...
glad u got the workout in.way to push through!

Thanks! Even though it may not have been 100%, was glad once it was thru...

Today was chest and bicep day.... BUT... Before I begin,

I did follow thru with workouts last week, but I rarely got my internet time in. Ugh.

But my time in the evenings, has been pretty short, so the last thing to go is the surfing!!!

So today, the gym was packed... Wait times on just about everything.

So had to change things up a bit.

Incline presses on the hammer machine

Then DB chest presses. (Weight was off about 10 lbs since this typically goes first)

Declines

Chest flys

Bicep curls

hammer curls

machine curls w/DD's

Machine chest presses with 30 second DD's to really wipe things out

Ah I do my chest and biceps together also Keep up the good work!

Thanks JB74... Yeah I agree. Good combo for sure.

I got maxed out at work on Thursday (normally tricep and shoulders) and crashed out when I got home... So again, I doubled up with my legs workout today. (Friday)

***On a good note-did about 90% of my first wide bar pullup!!! Stoked about that all the way. I have added (after 3-days rest) some of my tuff movements. So 2x a week, I do the WB pullups / Incline press / and a 4x set of DB presses. Pretty much just about 4 sets and no drop downs. (Except on the main days I do these)

Here's Fridays workout:

4x Wide bar pullups. (90% on the first pullup!)

DB front raises 5 sets (incl. 2 drop down sets)

DB lateral raises 5 sets (weak on this one)

Seated barbell military press 5 sets (incl. 2 drop down sets) 25-30-25-25-25(ddw/15's)-25(ddw/15's)

Overhead DB presses 6 sets (incl. 2 drop down sets)

Seated triceps DB presses behind the head 35-30-30-20-20

and a superset below:

Front cable raises 6 sets (incl. 2 drop down sets)

Rope tricep pulldowns 5 sets (incl. 1 drop down set)

Dips 4 sets (felt good on these-I know they really help)

4x shrugs done on the calf machine (as a superset w/calf raises)

Then the legs

5x sets (8 to 12 reps) on the leg press

One 5 sets (6 to 12 reps) squats with a 50lb bar behind the lower neck.

And a few Zercher squats with the bar in front.

Leg extentions

Hack squat

Sitting hamstring curl. (better for my knees)

Calf raises and shrugs as super set-see above.

Machine leg press (up to 200lbs then dropdown sets)

Chest and Bicep Monday.

DB bench presses 5 sets 45(12reps) 50(10) 50(8) 40w/dropdowns 35w/DD's

Decline bench press. (5 sets including 2 drop down sets)

Incline bench press (4 sets incl. 2 drop downs)

Cable crossovers 30-30-25-25 then 2 drop downs from 20)

BB ez curl bicep curls 5 sets (with dropdowns) 60-60-50-40-30w/DD-30w/DD

alternating hammer curls 25-25-20-20-20 w/DD-17w/DD

Concentration curls on machine

40 minutes of brisk dog walk. (Oh and yes-I also remembered to bring the dog.)

IMG_3021.JPG.55bb5802261fcbee4cc58dff84414c86.JPG

A few status pics from today after my workout...

The first is relaxed... (gotta keep working away at that middle!!!)

IMG_3022.JPG.5a6d091d449dafb6617f0d4dbd430fd4.JPG

IMG_3024.JPG.bb186c807d7dcafac35a88b104ff56ab.JPG

Pull ups. (wide grip-5 sets. Almost completeing my first full rep!)

T-bar rows 5 sets (incl. 2 drop down sets)105-120-120-105-70w/dds-70w/dd's

Dead lifts. W/ dumbells only. 35 for 3 sets

Upright cable rows, 4 sets (incl. 4 sets w/30 sec. rests between)

abs

hanging leg raises. (4 sets and 18 down reps per)

Front cable pulldowns (as a superset w/ below) 6 sets

behind the neck pulldowns 6 sets (70-70-55-55-55dd-40dd)

Calf raises-3 sets. (part of my 2x plan to enahnce a few muscle groups)

3 sets of different ab crunches. 60 sec./45 sec./45 sec.

I was still a little sore from chest and bicep monday... But feels good knowing I'm staying with the plan.

Starting to mix things up a bit.

Thanks MarySella... And that $20 is in the mail to you for saying that!!

Ahhh... Another Thursday of Triceps and Shoulders.

I am trying to do these from home once a week to give me a little less drive time

and a little more time around my awesome dog.

Dips-6 sets with dropdowns. Between the washer and dryer.

DB lateral raises

DB front raises

Seated military presses

Overhead DB presses

Bent over raises

skull crushers

laying down DB kickbacks. (harder than it sounds)

Behind the head t-cep extns

DB floor presses

DONE! Also includes a 40 minutes fast paced walk with one happy dog.

Another 10 grams of protien to consume before this evening.

Later all!

GL

• 4 weeks later...

WOW-It's been 27 days since I updated my journal.. Yikes!

Been busy traveling to best friends in Philly and sitting on planes for cross country flights.

Kinda fun though because this was a solo trip and wanted to stay true to my plant based diet as well as maintaining workouts.

My friends were super cool and lucky me there was a Trader Joe's nearby AND within walking distance.

There was no issues at all and my collection of Cliff Bars made the "in-between" meals a snap.

Sorta nice too not having to stand in line for some terrible airport food. (Going back to non-stop flights a must)

Funny but I forgot I packed a soy yogurt in my carry on luggage... Lucky me the screeners at PHL let it go thru!

Back on my routines at the gym and despite a little hand injury at work, on track.

I am soooooo close to complete a full rep on the wide bar pull up.

OK-More soon!

• 5 weeks later...

Been busy insane!! But workouts are coming along great.

Now eating at "SEED" in Venice Beach. More info soon!

Been traveling thru southern California. Great vegan places. The Vegie Grill-the real food deli-Seed and others. They all seemed busy too. Which is pretty cool for this area. 

Workouts have been coming right along. Lucky to have decent gyms around. Had great session using a Smiths machine. The one at my regular gym is always busy so a nice change to have to myself. 

Blasted legs This morning for the long drive in the car today. Day before yesterday hammered chest and biceps.  

Should be at 55's for chest DB presses in a few weeks. 70's here I come!!

watching a little tv and trying to lay out my next workout plan.

sticking with the basics of my previous workouts... just adding in more different routines and doubling up on some key moves. really trying to figure a way to hit the wide bar pull ups-DB presses and squats. I feel like my workouts have got me to a point I'm happy with, but need to get to another level of appearance. Legs are way to skinny compared to my upper body. (but the fat is way low!)

going to be more attentive with my diet too. I like Octopussoir's plan especially the evening quinoa and tufu...

I am having a tuff time with my food intake. Up the calories/carbs and end up with a heavy waist. drop them down and not enough to fuel muscle growth. Going to figure it out though!

Only question now is how long do I really need to wait between workouts. A full 7 days I think is too long between workouts. going to try 4 days and see how that works.

So far some great workout's in the gym...

Wednesday did back and abs and really got after the pull up's

Thursday back at it and worked a long tri's and shoulder routine.

So that's Saturday chest and biceps / Sunday cardio / Monday legs and back-abs / tuesday Shoulders and tri's / Wednesday back and abs / Thursday off (or chest and biceps)/ Friday will be legs and evening workout will be back to chest and biceps.

Today I hit 2 workouts...

Started off with my back and abs routine. (About 45 minutes) This was done on 5 days rest (instead of 7) and felt just great.

Also did a heavy legs workout... This was done however on 7 days rest and will be shortened up when I hit legs again in 4 or 5 days. Prior to this workout, I have started running and hitting the bike machine for 30 to 45 minute hill sets. TUFF!!!

I think overall this will be a good start to my program change. I know that most people here like Robert can hit the gym hard everyday for weeks with no breaks. But as I am in my 40's, I really do need some recovery time between workouts. and unlike most, my muscles certainly take awhile longer to rebuild than most.

I have been eating as clean as I can and getting down 225 grams of protein a day. (I weigh 175lbs)

Today is Wednesday June 8th and just doing cardio. (Including a fast paced mile with my doggie)

Yesterday was a hard back and abs session. But worth it!

Tomorrow will be chest and biceps done on 5 days rest. (Going to try the 55's again on the DB bench press!)

Checked and since fall of last year, have gained 2.5" on my chest and 2" on my biceps!! Yee haw this is REALLY WORKING!

Shoulders are bigger too. Never before have I ever had a chest and shoulders to be proud of. Ok-Ok... I'm not at my goal by any strech, but super happy I am moving in the right direction. Love seeing those veins pumping vegan goodies to rebuild my muscle tissue...

Great couple of workout sessions the last few days.

Wednesday hit the cardio and Thursday nailed chest and biceps.

*Tonight will hit shoulders and tri's.

Working towards 5 workouts per week and so far so good.

Now just have to eat enough!

Oh! Tried the 55's and pulled off 7 reps and 3 partial ones. Pretty happy with that.

*update-did not hit shouders/tri's.. will do those today (saturday) triceps still felt a little sore-but good today!

Today was actually back and abs day... I was a little off on my last post.

Did great and felt good today for some reason.

Best day on the T-bar rows Just eeked out 10 reps at 150lbs. (followed by 135x2 & 120x2 each with DD sets)

Pull ups are still a struggle but grinding them out.

Tomorrow will be shoulder and tri's. Plus legs

Still dealing with waist fat! Probably ok as is with the greater amount of workout's I'm doing now.

We'll see after the July 4th weekend.

IMG_3145.JPG.45f4f113043c1b10a46eee77eef9643c.JPG

IMG_3144.JPG.eca01eb0d0ff5c2b21f235ee04a547e3.JPG

Today I was back at it and hit shoulders and tri's. (on 5 days rest)

I think this step of hitting each workout every 5 days will really pay off. That is roughly 4 extra workouts per month.

And the rest time seems to be working.

I hit a personal best on the tricep pull downs. 100lbs for 8 clean reps and 3 partials. (down to 85 after that)

hitting 60lbs on my military presses. Don't know why but my overhead work is the slowest to increase weights on.

I'm ok with it though as long as I am adding more weight or a few more reps each time.

Ran the dog today too. Good workout for me because she loves to play fetch. She just doesn't run back to me after catching the ball! So I have to run to her. Hmmm... I think she knows exactly what she's doing. hey-it can't hurt to run a little more!

• 2 weeks later...

Been out of the gym (except for legs) due to a forearm injury on the top of my left arm.

Went to do a second set of 55's for my DB bench press and felt something really wrong.

Ugh!! I can't grow if i don't add weight/reps. At a loss for what's next...

Hopefully can work my way back up... Just don't want to loose 8 months of gains.

I believe it was either the Extensor Digitorum or the Extensor Carpi.

Either way gotta lay low till they heal. it's been just a week, so hopefully I can get this behind me.

Bummer on the injury, I had a similar problem with my elbow that in the end amounted to 3 weeks of lost gym time until I got it sorted.

If you're not already doing them, I suggest light forearm stretches. If you Google it you should come up with plenty of examples, but the two that I do are pulling my hand and fingers towards my body facing down (outer forearm stretch) and facing up (inner forearm stretch).

Thanks asparagus.

Yeah major pain to have something like that happen when you are seeing results little by little.

Will certainly try those forearm stretches and be more careful about proper warmup.

Most times I workout at the end of the day and take being warmed-up for granted.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Hitting the gym again...

Went with a nnice back and abs workout.

Pull up's-rows-pull downs... felt really good to be back in the gym.

And yes-plenty warm up this time. 5 minutes on the eliptical machine and streching.

will hit shoulders and tri's tomorrow.

Later!