Re-gaining control. It's on like Donkey Kong

Guess what?!?!?

I got to do ball squats at PT on Friday- not much but its pretty exciting! =)

walking more without the crutches now but still limping badly- all of my muscles are weak on that leg and my ankle (which a severely sprained a few years ago, that leg of course) is tight making walking harder. I'm thinking I may invest in an awesome massage to help work out the scar tissue issues I have.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome! I love ball squats. Although I don't usually get that excited about them. Congrat! Give yourself some time. You know that recovery is a slow process and we athletes tend to push it. Listen to your body.

While I was doing them I kept thinking, "why haven't I been including these into my usual routine?" they seem like a great alternative to front or hack squats)front squats feel awkward to me and my gym doesn't have a hack squat machine).

yea I'm not pushing it and don't plan on doing any leg stuff until I'm 100 percent better and my docs give me the go ahead and once they do that I'm going to start with a trainer (who trains figure) so I'm headed in the right direction and wont risk re-injury.

(ps thanks for the email!)

Saw my ortho. today. He told me I can completely ditch the crutches now, still not allowed to do any gym stuff. Which I'm okay with, I know I need to take it slow and rehab it all the way.

My workouts are kinda maintenance at this point- I'm still trying to push myself in the gym but my minds just not in it with all of the stress with my hip and school has me studying almost every waking moment. Crunch time before graduation (in May) and I'm feeling it!!!! I'm simply exhausted...

I keep reminding myself of that Paige =)

Today I was told I can start including the elliptical in my workouts so I did 10mins. I could have gone longer since my hip didn't really hurt but my foot is beyond killing me!

Thanks! yea, I'm glad to be rid of the crutches!! makes getting to classes a bit easier (getting around in general). I think my foot is just bothering me from not using it for a while- plus it's never really been 100% since my horrible sprain (not that it ever will be...). I've been icing it and stretching it like crazy!

still need to work on being more consistent with my stretching afterward- also thinking of making Sunday a yoga/stretch day

good news- I passed my first statistics exam!! its really been stressing me out! If I fail this class I can't get my masters this May and would have to wait until next January to take the class again. I've been studying my butt off- so the gym (and my diet a bit) are coming in a bit second. Just keep telling myself it will all be over in May =)

changed my routine up a bit- just getting bored with it not being able to do legs... for now anyway here it is

biceps/shoulders

back

Triceps/chest

20 mins on the elliptical today!!!!!!!!!! that's about all I have to say about that =)

diet this week will most likely be rough since I'm going to Chicago and have every intention of hitting the dinner there

Not a whole lot new here.

On spring "break" for the week. getting back into my ultra clean diet- but including cheat meals every so often since i'm not preparing for a show. Still unable to do any leg stuff =( which I expected but it still sucks!! the other day I ran up my stairs, like an idiot, and realized just how week some of my hip muscles are. I was pretty sore for the rest of the day. won't be doing that again for awhile.

did tris and back today in the gym, felt pretty awesome!

oh man! what didn't I eat?!?!? lol! we went ther about 3 times while we were there. I had pumpkin ravioli a mint choco. shake the 1st night. I had country fried "steak" and a pb choco. cookie dough shake the next. and finally a huge awesome breakfast- tofu scramble with country fried "steak" and gravy with a side of french toast and a pb shake....

I weighed in yesterday at 142...could be worse, I want to be at 135ish next time I compete. instead of the 123 last time- at 5'8" thats just too thin!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Feeling super sore today =)

did tris and chest yesterday...and I did a whole body stretch routine (well what I was able to do with the lower half). realized I definitely need to do that every time I'm crazy tight all over and that wont help me progress!!

PT has been going good and my PT thinks I'm progressing . I'll be meeting with my Ortho later this month to check on my progression. Only think I can complain about is that my hip has been generally sore but it might just be the weird weather we've been having. Also, my glutes are insanely tight so I can't stretch my back the way I want and of course my hip...

Great news- I was given the go ahead to ride a regular upright (not recumbent) bike and was able to do 20 mins no problem! =) I did 10mins incline on a treadmill and realized that was a bad idea..

my husband and I are planning on cleaning out the basement a bit, so we can repoint the stone foundation... but on the plus side I plan on getting some cardio equipment so I can do extra cardio during competition season and watch tv =)

speaking of competing. I haven't thrown the idea of competing this year out, but I know it may not happen. I have found a trainer who will help me get back in the saddle once I'm given the go ahead. I know (unless of course the ortho says I need to do the surgery on the opposite side too) I will compete early next year!

ps.

Diet has been a bit better, but I still need to cut back on the cheat meals. I weighed in at 144lbs. I know I have added some muscle to my upper body, seeing results and gaining strength, but of course I've gained some body fat and lost some leg muscle =(

Maybe I'll post some full body progress photos just to keep me in check...

forgot to mention I signed up for a learn to row event here in Baltimore in June (right before we leave for the UK)- I've always wanted to row and thought it would be a great addition to my figure training.

• 2 weeks later...

sorry I've been MIA for a while. School is kicking my butt!!!! no worries though I'm still training fairly regularly though I have had to miss a few sessions to catch up with some of my schoolwork.

PT is going well and my therapist said I'm doing better than most people at this stage. I meet with my surgeon on Thursday. I'll keep ya posted.