Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Lacking energy especially during the daytime and its not B12
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:17 am 
Offline
Finch

Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:56 am
Posts: 2
Firstly hello everyone.. I'm really happy to see such a lovely forum dedicating itself to helping vegans remain fit and strong.

Ive been vegan for almost 2 years.

I have a problem and I'm hoping someone may be familiar with it; I am severely lacking energy in the morning, I will admit that my body clock isn't the best, I work between 6-10pm at the moment and I normally get to bed around 2pm (sometimes later).. but I sleep as long as I need.. normally 8 hours and I wake feeling pretty drained.. and for the first 5 hours or so if I sit still for a while I am close to needing to lay down cos I feel that lacking in energy.. It feels mental.. rather than physical.

I recently had a b12 intramuscular injection and that didnt solve the problem and before that I was always taking sublingual b12 tablets... I am always all clear on my blood test with everything in the acceptable range.. though I havent had my blood sugar tested.

I train at night around 9pm about 3-4 times a week and with good results.. its just the daytime that I feel so lacking in energy. My diet is vegan (of course:)) and consists of:

Plenty of Bananas, Dates and Almonds, Lite Soy Milk, Muesli, wholemeal Pasta, Tofu, Soy Yoghurt, Avocados, Red Kidney Beans and Wholegrain Wholemeal Bread.

And moderate amounts of Grapes, Apples, Pears and Nectarines, Zucchinis and Carrots, Tomatoes etc.

In the mornings its normally Muesli with Nectarine and Pear with lite soy milk or a banana, date and almond smoothie.

Later would be salad sandwichs with hommus, lettuce and tomato or red kidney bean burritos with tomato and lettuce.

Dinner typically will be a pasta with tofu and veges or a mix of anything in the fridge but with a combination for all the macronutrients.

I eat 5 meals a day mostly.. not huge meals.. but def over 2500 calories a day

Im really stumped as to what it is but I cant go on feeling like this.. hopefully someone has some ideas.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lacking energy especially during the daytime and its not
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:38 am 
Offline
Stegosaurus
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:44 pm
Posts: 3473
Atki wrote:
I have a problem and I'm hoping someone may be familiar with it; I am severely lacking energy in the morning, I will admit that my body clock isn't the best, I work between 6-10pm at the moment and I normally get to bed around 2pm (sometimes later).. but I sleep as long as I need.. normally 8 hours and I wake feeling pretty drained.. and for the first 5 hours or so if I sit still for a while I am close to needing to lay down cos I feel that lacking in energy.. It feels mental.. rather than physical.


Your schedule may be the culprit. Sunlight stimulates people to be more alert and darkness, more sleepy. Some people just don't do well going against their circadian rhythms( sleeping at night, working during the day ). 6 - 10 pm doesn't sound too bad. With a little discipline you can make it to bed at 11 - 12 and get up at 7 -8 am consistently. Try it for two weeks to see if you feel better.

You can also try printing out this vegan nutrition list. It makes a nice single page checklist. Try checking off all of the suggestions for a few weeks to eliminate inadequate nutrition as a culprit

http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/dailyrecs

_________________

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lacking energy especially during the daytime and its not
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:41 pm 
Offline
Finch

Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:56 am
Posts: 2
beforewisdom wrote:
Atki wrote:
I have a problem and I'm hoping someone may be familiar with it; I am severely lacking energy in the morning, I will admit that my body clock isn't the best, I work between 6-10pm at the moment and I normally get to bed around 2pm (sometimes later).. but I sleep as long as I need.. normally 8 hours and I wake feeling pretty drained.. and for the first 5 hours or so if I sit still for a while I am close to needing to lay down cos I feel that lacking in energy.. It feels mental.. rather than physical.


Your schedule may be the culprit. Sunlight stimulates people to be more alert and darkness, more sleepy. Some people just don't do well going against their circadian rhythms( sleeping at night, working during the day ). 6 - 10 pm doesn't sound too bad. With a little discipline you can make it to bed at 11 - 12 and get up at 7 -8 am consistently. Try it for two weeks to see if you feel better.

You can also try printing out this vegan nutrition list. It makes a nice single page checklist. Try checking off all of the suggestions for a few weeks to eliminate inadequate nutrition as a culprit

http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/dailyrecs



Thanks,

I will try to get to bed earlier.. but my lifestyle may impede these efforts, the thing is I also used to work shift (1am starts) when I was 20-25 (I'm now 35) and I did this with no problem at all so that's why I'm leaning towards my diet being in question.

Any other opinions would be greatly appreciated


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lacking energy especially during the daytime and its not
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:52 am 
Offline
Elephant
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:41 pm
Posts: 1228
Location: Piscataway, NJ, US
You had a B12 injection even though your levels checked out ok?

_________________
Facebook


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lacking energy especially during the daytime and its not
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:23 pm 
Offline
Gorilla
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:27 am
Posts: 722
Location: Ontario
It does sound likely to be behavioural/related to your schedule.

On the subject of B12, a healthy person (without crohn's in the terminal ileum and without an Intrinsic Factor deficiency) has a roughly 5-year store of B12 in their liver. Being vegan for 2 years, even if you had had 0 B12 intake at all, could not lead to deficiency, and B12 deficiency tends to take years to cause symptoms. Just a small public service announcement to try to reduce some stress and avoid getting shots of B12.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lacking energy especially during the daytime and its not
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:43 pm 
Offline
Rabbit
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:09 pm
Posts: 72
Location: Rural Arizona
[quote="Atki"

Plenty of Bananas, Dates and Almonds, Lite Soy Milk, Muesli, wholemeal Pasta, Tofu, Soy Yoghurt, Avocados, Red Kidney Beans and Wholegrain Wholemeal Bread.

And moderate amounts of Grapes, Apples, Pears and Nectarines, Zucchinis and Carrots, Tomatoes etc.

In the mornings its normally Muesli with Nectarine and Pear with lite soy milk or a banana, date and almond smoothie.

Later would be salad sandwichs with hommus, lettuce and tomato or red kidney bean burritos with tomato and lettuce.

Dinner typically will be a pasta with tofu and veges or a mix of anything in the fridge but with a combination for all the macronutrients.

[/quote]

Wow, I could not eat that way and have any lasting energy. Come to think of it I have eaten that way and my energy level was a roller coaster. I would have to eat often just to not crash.

Where are the greens??

I suggest you try adding in a large amount of greens, eliminate the refined carbs like pasta, bread and try replacing that breakfast with a big Green Smoothie. That will give you fruit for calories and tons of greens for sustained energy. Might stick to low glycemic fruit like apples or pears. Adding the minerals and fiber from the greens should help a lot. I have lots of recipes if you want suggestions.

My morning brew is 1 bunch greens (I prefer kale), 4 stalks celery, 2 apples or pears, 1 lemon (peeled), 1 jalapeño, small piece of ginger root, a handful of parsley and/or cilantro. Not for the faint of heart! But extremely energizing, filling and it will wake you up!

Just try to start with a huge green smoothie to which you can add some ground flax or hemp powder or something along those lines and see how you feel.

I'm sure the night hours don't help but since you can't change that then it is even more important to re-think your diet.

_________________
Eating my way fit! (And working my buns off...)
Dr. Debra
http://drdebratibbitts.com
Lose 10 Pounds in 21 Days and Keep It Off


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lacking energy especially during the daytime and its not
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:28 am 
Offline
Elephant
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:10 pm
Posts: 2357
Location: Bakersfield, CA, USA
No one here has mentioned diabetes and I am surprised.

_________________
Learning how to be compassionate, gain wisdom, and love life.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lacking energy especially during the daytime and its not
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:38 am 
Offline
Stegosaurus
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:44 pm
Posts: 3473
The original poster has been in the care of a doctor. Blood sugar issues would have shown up in tests.

_________________

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lacking energy especially during the daytime and its not
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:43 am 
Offline
Elephant
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:10 pm
Posts: 2357
Location: Bakersfield, CA, USA
beforewisdom wrote:
The original poster has been in the care of a doctor. Blood sugar issues would have shown up in tests.

Not according to them!

Atki wrote:
... I am always all clear on my blood test with everything in the acceptable range.. though I havent had my blood sugar tested..

_________________
Learning how to be compassionate, gain wisdom, and love life.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lacking energy especially during the daytime and its not
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:14 am 
Offline
Stegosaurus
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:44 pm
Posts: 3473
Maybe. IMHO, diabetes is such a common thing these days that even the most average doctor would be on the lookout for the symptoms of it ( i.e. thirst, tiredness following a meal, etc ), especially with a young person complaining about fatigue and would order up the appropriate tests.

_________________

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron



{ ASACP_CREDITS }
{ ASACP_CREDITS }
{ ASACP_CREDITS } Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group