Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Nutrition Question - Can I see what you typically eat?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:05 pm 
Manatee

That looks pretty clean CY! Are you having good results from the warrior diet? How much protein does that work out to? It looks like a good amount.

Last edited by vegimator on Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:34 pm 
Gorilla

vegimator wrote:
That looks pretty clean CY! Are you having good results from the warrior diet? How much protein does that work out too? It looks like a good amount.

I like the warrior diet a lot, I will never go back to eating any other way. I don't think it's super efficient for 'bulking' but I've never believed in the bulking mentality anyway and I am making similar gains on the Vegan WD to my omnivore bulking diet. The biggest reason I love it is because I am able to stay lean while I gain muscle mass and strength. Before about 5-6 o'clock I only consume about 800-900 kcal which is a bit more than I was previously eating as an omnivore, about 600-750. But I need more food compensation as a vegan. After 5 or 6 I just start stuffing food down. Extremely satisfying.

My diet works out to about 150-160g of protein per day. I don't focus on protein too much but I always make sure to at least get my body weight, it's too over rated in my opinion. My body likes carbs better. I think protein has it's place but without carbs it doesn't really mean squat. I honestly think the 200+g of carbs I eat a day spares a lot of the protein I eat making it more efficiently used for building mass.

I find that eating clean as a vegan is incredibly simple and it is nearly impossible for me to screw up my 'diet'. I avoid artificial colors and flavors, trans fat, fried food, preservatives, animal products, HFCS, as much processed sugar as possible, GMO foods, and un-organic food. I also limit soy and wheat to a serving or two a day. Once every couple weeks I'll get some trans fat free french fries from Burger Lounge and a ginger beer though, or a Jamba Juice, or something from Starbucks. =P

As a side note I find being vegan fills me with a greater sense of peace and allows me to focus more on tasks I set.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:05 pm 
Finch

2 slices gluten free brown rice bread
1 TBSP peanut butter
1TBSP hemp seeds
2 dates

Protein Shake (Raw Protein from Garden of Life)
1/2 cup hemp milk
1/2 banana
scoop Amazing Grass Chocolate Drink powder

small salad of cucs, tomatoes, arugula, 1 TBSP pumpkin seeds
veggie burger wrap (brown rice wrap, homemade black bean and wild rice burger) with 2 TBSP avocado, ketchup, and kale

decaf soy latte
Macro Green Apple Lemon Ginger bar
1/2 apple with cinnamon

1/2 cup lentils, 1/2 cup wild rice, 1 cup broccoli, 1 TBSP nutritional yeast, baked tofu

Protein shake with Amazing Grass powder, 1 cup rice or almond milk, 1 TBSP Brazil nut butter, sprinkle of granola and some cacao nibs..and a small piece of extra dark chocolate:)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:46 am 
Rabbit

Ah, I didn't see this sticky thread and first saw another one about daily eating, so sorry for the double post :p. I was vegetarian and am now vegan, and here's a sample of what my diet looks like in 1 day :

Breakfast:
-2 slices toast w/ Earth Balance & Marmalade
-1.5 cups granola & nut cereal fortified with vitamin B6 + 1 cup hemp bliss
-1 glass Kombucha

Lunch:
-4 Burritos w/ veggie ground round, tomatoes, lettuce, orange bell pepper, and a thai peanut sauce

Dinner/workout:
-1 glass Kombucha
-Pita + roasted pine nut hummus
-1.5 cups mixed berry juice with 16g raw hemp protein
-1.5 cups cabbage soup w/ tomatoes & Barley
-Handful of almonds
-1 cup almond milk w/ 8g raw hemp protein
-Deva vegan multivitamin
-1 pill 5-HTP

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:12 am 
Gorilla

I thought my body was telling me to eat more bread but I started feeling sluggish even eating sprouted bread so I replaced it all with fruit. So now I am just pretty much eating fruit, vegetables, nuts, seeds, legumes, oats, soy milk, and protein/now true food vegan.

I don't have a lot of money to spend on food so I mostly buy apples, bananas, and seeded grapes. But if kiwis and mangoes are on sale I grab those, also when they have whole pineapple and coconuts I will grab a few because they last a while in the fridge and can last me a few days each. I don't do well with citrus fruit, it hurts my stomach.

I have trouble digesting most nuts with my medical condition so I usually just eat walnuts and peanut butter. I need to buy a good compact blender so I can make my own almond butter and stuff, plus for my smoothies every morning. I like hemp seeds and flax seeds best.

As for vegetables I steam them mostly and/or cook them into my dinner, carrots, onions, garlic, celery. Plus some spinach, broccoli, string beans, mixed veggies, they all taste great with just pepper. Lately I've discovered how fun it is to eat a head of lettuce or green pepper like an apple. lol.

I switch between lentils, chickpeas, and beans for dinner. I also add olive oil, cold pressed unfiltered to my dinner. I eat oat meal every couple days too just because it's so tasty. Then there is my protein powder, I don't go overboard with it, a scoop a day, plus a scoop of now true food vegan to cover all my bases, I'll be switching it with an organic super food multi once I am out.

Here's a typical day.

Breakfast:
1 cup soymilk
1 large banana
28g hemp seed or flax seed

Post workout:
1/2 Now True Vegan/ 1/2 Pea/Rice/Soy/Hemp Protein
1 Apple

Lunch:
28g Walnuts or Peanut Butter
Handful of Grapes or Something Else and 1 Banana

Dinner:
325g Legumes or Beans With Lots of Veggies Cooked in and Olive Oil
100g Steamed Veggies or Some Celery, Lettuce, Avocado, or Pepper, Raw

Snack:
Large Banana and Some Oats or Some Other Fruit

Bedtime:
1/2 Now True Vegan/ 1/2 Pea/Rice/Soy/Hemp Protein

Honestly I started eating this way out of laziness. Working on my van it was easier to grab a bunch of fruit and nuts than make something. And my strength has skyrocketed. I'm not even kidding you. My bench is up 15lbs. Which is a lot, considering I was stuck at 145. People look at you funny when you go to the store and most of what you get is fruit and veggies. Durhur where's your potater chipz.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:05 am 
Gorilla

I wondered how your tummy was treating you these days, Cellar Yeti. I'm glad to see you can handle such a variety of food, though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:36 pm 
Gorilla

Adena wrote:
I wondered how your tummy was treating you these days, Cellar Yeti. I'm glad to see you can handle such a variety of food, though.

Thanks, it's doing ok. I ended up in the emergency room a few weeks ago with an obstruction after giving into temptation and eating potatoes. :psycho:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:24 am 
Finch

I found this thread really helpful. I struggle with knowing much much I should eat and I'm a bit paranoid about getting fat which isn't helpful. I'm just getting back to eating carefully but just now I eat:

Breakfast- 2slice toast, glass soy milk, apple
Snack- smoothie- cup soy milk, frozen banana, packed cup spinach
Lunch- wrap with PB, cucumber, handful of spinach, half a cup of lentils
Dinner- some combo of veg and beans that adds up to about 300 calories and 20g protein
Snack- porridge- 1.5 cup soy milk, 1 cup oats

Once I'm working out properly I'm going to work on another snack to get me to about 2000 calories, 100g protein. From there it'll hopefully just be a case of eating bigger portions as I feel I need it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:21 pm 
Gorilla

Cellar Yeti wrote:
Lately I've discovered how fun it is to eat a head of lettuce or green pepper like an apple. lol.

I agree! Recently I figured out you only ruin the taste of lettuce and other vegetables my mixing them with dressing, even if it is only lemon juice an olive oil. Now I just wash the lettuce and enjoy the natural taste :D It feels so right :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:06 pm 
Rabbit

Cellar Yeti wrote:
vegimator wrote:
I honestly think the 200+g of carbs I eat a day spares a lot of the protein I eat making it more efficiently used for building mass.

Do you have any sources for this statement? I really cannot stand scientifically unqualified statements.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:24 pm 
Rabbit

In any event, I am seeing alot of no no's here. Such as bread, granola, etc (both cause prolonged insulin response).

I stay away from an over-abundance of grain and legumes for this very reason.

I do consume 2/3rds cups of oatmeal daily, which I think is reasonable for pre-work out glycogen stores.

I consume about 60 grams of pea protein daily along with an additional 60 grams of protein from food. Boca burgers are low in carbohydrates, so I consume a couple of these daily, along with about 20 grams of protein from tofu itself.

The bulk of my diet though is fresh fruits and vegetables, with an emphasis on freshness.

And I consume all my vegetables raw, including the broccoli and cauliflour, but on occasion I do steam broccoli lightly.

My daily food intake looks something like this.

Breakfast:

Usually the oatmeal I mentioned made with a quarter cup of coconut milk and half a cup of water, with ground flax seeds, cashews and mixed berries.

Lunch:
Boca burger with no bun, usually I just put some tomato paste on it with a spoon full of extra virgin olive oil. A large salad consisting of kale, spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms, black olives, tofu and avocado. 30 grams of pea protein.

For dinner I tend to have the exact same thing as lunch with another 30 grams of pea protein.

Between meals I sometimes have some dark chocolate dipped in almond butter or some raw cauliflour and broccoli dipped in hummus.

Listen, fat is not the enemy. You can consume 50-60 grams a day, reduce your carb intake to around 150 and lose body fat very easily this way. I am not suggesting going overboard with fat consumption, but our brains and bodies require fat to function properly. Of course, they require carbs as well, but the ratios most people here speak of are completely out of synch and have no scientific basis.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:14 am 
Finch

this what i had today
1. large smoothie(fruit and superfoods)
2. cucumber lemon juice
3. large smoothie
4. 3 heads of lettuce
5. large smoothie
6. 8 bannanas
7. apple kale juice
8. large smoothie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:11 am 
Finch

Just started and this is the first time I am doing it vegan (last time I was still a meat eater :( )

For now:
Breakfast; Protein shake with Veg soy free powder, one frozen banana, one tsp of almond butter.

Snack; Organic raspberries, 30 gr of pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds (alternate)

Lunch; one of the following, one cup of cooked lentils (stew type) or tempeh like chili with bell peppers, big salad with lemon and almond, olive or flax oil. some steamed veggies.

Snack; frozen banana in food processor with a scoop of srpouted rice protein powder, almond butter and stevia, turns into a super yummy ice cream :D

Dinner; pan roasted sprouted tofu with garlic, cumin and spices, big salad and occasionally a 1/4 of sweet potato.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:17 pm 
Rabbit

jacobh8494 wrote:
this what i had today
1. large smoothie(fruit and superfoods)
2. cucumber lemon juice
3. large smoothie
4. 3 heads of lettuce
5. large smoothie
6. 8 bannanas
7. apple kale juice
8. large smoothie

Seems like a very sugary diet. I know people like to think there is a major difference between natural sugar and processed sugar. But is the difference really that major? High fructose fruits can raise blood sugar levels, which can be problematic in the long term. I advocate not eating more than 1 or 2 banana's a day, and to not couple them with other extremely sweet fruits too often. Berries are not overly sweet. I often mix banana's, cantaloupe and berries with some nuts and coconut milk in a bowl for a healthy breakfast high in anti-oxidants and other nutrients and minerals. But I never go overboard with sweet fruits (though it is tempting considering their cheapness). I consider them like natural candy. They are obviously way healthier than processed junk food, but there is still a threshold someone on a very healthy diet should consider keeping with. I personally would not go over 2-3 pieces of extremely sweet fruit a day. Especially if it causes you to urinate frequently (common sign of high blood sugar) and especially if you're consuming a ton of other carbohydrates already.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:29 pm 
Gorilla

I live in my van and was having a hard time keeping weight on so I bought an inverter for my battery bank and a blender and I make one monster shake every morning and eat that pretty much the entire day. People ask me if I get tired of it but people are addicted to eating and I really only see it as a tool these days.

Uber shake
2 Bananas
1/4 Cup Raisins
2 Cups of Soymilk
4 Cups of Water
2 TBSP Peanut Butter
1 TBSP Coconut oil or 1 TBSP Hemp Seeds
1 Cup of Soaked Oats
35g Now True Food Vegan (Plain)
30g Vegan Protein

I blend it up, stick it in a jar and throw it in the cooler and have about 12-16oz every couple hours.

For dinner it's a cup of rice or pasta with beans or legumes, veggies, and olive oil.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next