Video: "Vegan Nutrition: What Does the Science Say?"

All topics relating to health, diet, nutrition programs and any questions you might have about general health.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

beforewisdom
Stegosaurus

Video: "Vegan Nutrition: What Does the Science Say?"

#1 Postby beforewisdom » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:40 am

Video: "Vegan Nutrition: What Does the Science Say?" Jack Norris, R.D

Jack Norris co-founded Vegan Outreach in 1993 and is currently the President.

Jack is a Registered Dietitian. He earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Nutrition and Dietetics from Life University (Marietta, GA) in 2000 and performed a Dietetic internship at Georgia State University in 2000-2001. Jack is the author of Vitamin B12: Are You Getting It?, Staying Healthy On Plant-Based Diets, and other health articles found at VeganHealth.org and JackNorrisRd.com.

Jack Norris, RD will be talking about the health benefits and concerns of a vegan diet. He will cover the findings of the large studies following thousands of vegetarians and vegans over time. He will also address nutrition concerns such as Vitamin B12, omega-3 fats, and soy, focusing on published studies.

The Video

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)

TripleH
Rabbit

Re: Video: "Vegan Nutrition: What Does the Science Say?"

#2 Postby TripleH » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:46 pm

Great video, but the streaming was horrible (at least for me, pausing every few seconds to buffer).

Vegan Joe
Stegosaurus

#3 Postby Vegan Joe » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:08 pm

Me like too, no problem with stream here.

Happiness is a personal choice!
I am the sole source of all my sadness and joy.

"The logic of worldly success rests on a
fallacy: the strange error that our perfection
depends on the thoughts and
opinions and applause of other men."
Source: Thomas Merton

kjari
Rabbit

#4 Postby kjari » Wed May 26, 2010 3:43 am

Research into the role of essential fatty acids began in the 1920s. Early studies found that primates deprived of ALA showed depleted levels of DHA, which caused abnormalities in retinal function and visual acuity. Other symptoms included extreme thirst and exceptionally dry hair and skin.

Anyone noticed anything like this?

xjohanx
Elephant

#5 Postby xjohanx » Wed May 26, 2010 4:52 am

Kjari. What exactly are you asking? If someone here ever had dry hair and skin? If so, does that prove anything?
cubby2112 wrote:When someone says you don't train "functionally," you should just punch them in the face. Ask them how "functional" of a movement that was.

penpen
Rabbit

#6 Postby penpen » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:05 pm

Words cannot express how appreciative I am of his realistic approach and ability to set aside his biases rather than just glamorizing veganism.
I'm still learning to vegan and I'm constantly seeing/hearing vegan horror stories... of course I know better because I actually research this stuff, but it's hard to find unbiased information and these stories still worried me a bit.
Especially if I have a kid someday... it's just cruel for them to make up things like that. Where do the dairy and meat industries draw the line? I've never seen them show any sort of conscience about animal OR human rights. >.>

TheFutureOfHealth
Rabbit

#7 Postby TheFutureOfHealth » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:05 pm

penpen wrote:Words cannot express how appreciative I am of his realistic approach and ability to set aside his biases rather than just glamorizing veganism.
I'm still learning to vegan and I'm constantly seeing/hearing vegan horror stories... of course I know better because I actually research this stuff, but it's hard to find unbiased information and these stories still worried me a bit.
Especially if I have a kid someday... it's just cruel for them to make up things like that. Where do the dairy and meat industries draw the line? I've never seen them show any sort of conscience about animal OR human rights. >.>

The thing that is making it difficult for me to want to return to these forums much is peoples inability to separate 'the science' from the animal rights aspect, which I think need to be completely different conversations entirely. I love animals, and I am all for that aspect of it. But this IS the nutritional section of the forum. Wy does it seem that people here have little to day about it other than 'oh thats good' or something similar? Does the science of vegan nutrition mean little to people? I mean I assume that the health outcome of a vegan diet is important to people as well as the animal rights aspect. This is what gives my fellow vegans bad credibility in my opinion. The ones who do it for animal rights reasons tend not to care if they live off preztils and hummus, and similar junk food, hence these 'vegan horror stories'.

horsedoc
Rabbit

#8 Postby horsedoc » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:07 am

I agree that some of us do not eat meat for reasons other than animal rights issues. There is a separate topic heading to discuss those types of things.

My reason for not eating meat has nothing to do with animal rights and everything to do with personal health and preferences.

I too appreciate the separation of these 2 things.
Eating my way fit! (And working my buns off...)
Dr. Debra
http://drdebratibbitts.com
Lose 10 Pounds in 21 Days and Keep It Off

sebastiaan56
Finch

#9 Postby sebastiaan56 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:54 pm

Great video, thanks.

I actually think it critical that the science and emotion get separated. The PETA website virtually encourages junk food eating and will turn plant based eating into a political event with no appreciable health improvement outcomes. If information isnt properly referenced I no longer pass it on.

A couple of the influences for me have been The China Study, T. Colin Campbell, Skinny Bastards http://www.skinnybastard.net/ and Dr. John MacDougall. Hans Diehl is another science based guru of mine.

beforewisdom
Stegosaurus

#10 Postby beforewisdom » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:41 pm

sebastiaan56 wrote:Great video, thanks.

I actually think it critical that the science and emotion get separated. The PETA website virtually encourages junk food eating and will turn plant based eating into a political event with no appreciable health improvement outcomes.

FWIW, the word "vegan" was coined by Donald Watson to refer to a person who believes it is wrong to exploit ( use for our selfish ends only ) animals. The word and movement never had anything to do with health.

PETA tries to make a vegan diet seem as normal and appealing as possible to get people to give it a try. I agree with you are coming from. If people don't learn to eat right they will feel like crap, blame it on vegan diets, quit and bad mouth vegan diets to other people.

If information isnt properly referenced I no longer pass it on

You are on the side of angels.

I read that book last year. They state several things as nutrition fact, but those things are flat out folklore. I wouldn't recommend that book to people.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)

sebastiaan56
Finch

#11 Postby sebastiaan56 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:57 pm

Which bits?

Skinny Bastards http://www.skinnybastard.net/

I read that book last year. They state several things as nutrition fact, but those things are flat out folklore. I wouldn't recommend that book to people.

hunkmiller
Finch

#12 Postby hunkmiller » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:32 pm

beforewisdom wrote:I read that book last year. They state several things as nutrition fact, but those things are flat out folklore. I wouldn't recommend that book to people.

I was about to read that book but now i changed my mind

Fallen_Horse
Elephant

#13 Postby Fallen_Horse » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:33 pm

beforewisdom wrote:

This is similar to their previous book, Skinny Bitch, as well.
Learning how to be compassionate, gain wisdom, and love life.

pv vegan
Rabbit

#14 Postby pv vegan » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:17 pm

Agree with BeforeWisdom on all counts.

The PhytoAthlete
Manatee

#15 Postby The PhytoAthlete » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:39 pm

"TheFutureOfHealthThe thing that is making it difficult for me to want to return to these forums much is peoples inability to separate 'the science' from the animal rights aspect, which I think need to be completely different conversations entirely. I love animals, and I am all for that aspect of it. But this IS the nutritional section of the forum. Wy does it seem that people here have little to day about it other than 'oh thats good' or something similar? Does the science of vegan nutrition mean little to people? I mean I assume that the health outcome of a vegan diet is important to people as well as the animal rights aspect. This is what gives my fellow vegans bad credibility in my opinion. The ones who do it for animal rights reasons tend not to care if they live off preztils and hummus, and similar junk food, hence these 'vegan horror stories'.

Very well said, I agree 100%.
Last edited by The PhytoAthlete on Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Health & Nutrition Programs”