Quest for strength!

GLad to see you back! nice squat numbers! remember to be patient and consistent and the numbers will keep going up!

For eating, don't eat to get fat. If you start gaining too much fat, cut back a little bit. Don't watch the scale, watch the mirror! ...the goal should be gaining LEAN mass. PEACE!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll do my best

Today:

OHP:

30 kg 1x5

42.5 kg 4,1

40 kg 5,5,4,5

30 kg 1x8

Deadlift:

50 kg 1x5

70 kg 1x5

90 kg 1x5

100 kg 1x3

105 kg 1x1

Missed the press again. Decided to drop the weight and it went okay. Will just have to push on hard.

Deadlift, went with only one rep of 105. My body told me to stop, and being the nice person I am I said: "Okay, but next time I wanna do 5 reps." And so we made a deal.

Finished with some pull-ups, chin-ups and cable rows.

Bench:

55 kg 5x5

Squats:

50 kg 1x8

70 kg 1x8

80 kg 1x8

Cable rows:

40 kg 1x8

45 kg 1x8

50 kg 1x8

I was really happy that I made the 55 kg. I don't know what I did different from last time where I only managed one set, but whatever it was, it worked.

I wasn't really in the mood for squats, and I was also short on time, so I did squats and rows in between each other, squats/rows/rest/etc. Finished off with some pull-ups.

Nice squat 1RM. Why not start madcow if you're getting tired of squatting? Still 3x a week, only one heavy top set on day 1/3 and day 2 is a light day. Assistance is funner and more solid.

http://www.vicjg.com/aspx/madcowint.aspx

Pop in your numbers give it a look.

Gives you more appropriate recovery time and proper numbers to aim for instead of trying your best for 5x5 at a certain weight and deloading.

I have been looking at Madcow and I will start it after the summer break. I have only 6 or 7 weeks left before the 2 months with no access to gym, so until then I will just continue the ABA-routine with squatting on the bench days. But I am looking to forward to start the madcow program, it looks really pleasant and I have heard good things about it. Have you tried it out, chewy?

Squat:

50 kg 1x5

60 kg 1x5

70 kg 1x5

80 kg 1x5

90 kg 1x5

Bench:

50 kg 3x5

45 kg 2x8

Cable rows:

45 kg 3x10

I have been doing a lot of push-ups the last couple of days (training for one-arm push-ups) so that is probably why 50 kg felt so much heavier than usual. I didn't bother going for 57.5 when I was so tired, so I just did light weight. Will try and rest more until next time so my muscles have time to repair.

Didn't get to train Friday as I was very busy with a lot of things all weekend. Today I only had ½ hour to train in, so I went down to the gym and deadlifted:

50 kg 1x5

70 kg 1x5

90 kg 1x5

105 kg 1x3

90 kg 1x3

DON*T KNOW WHAT IS HAPPENING!! I just can't seem to do those 105 kg, it just feels weird. And even when I deloaded afterwards, I had to stop after the third rep 'cause my back kept bending and I couldn't seem to concentrate at all. Very frustrating!

After that I did military press:

37.5 kg: 3x5

Like mentioned, I only had like 25 minutes, so I had to stop after three sets. After school however, I had a little spare time so I went down again and did 3 sets of chinups, 3 sets of cable rows, couple sets of dips and then a set of pull-ups. I really hope the numbers is gonna go up before the summer break, which I am by the way actually looking forward to. Not being able to use barbells and only light dumbells I am gonna have a hell of a fun time doing bodyweight exercises and more fitness oriented workouts. I am going to work my way up to one-armed push-ups from the floor (right now I can do 5 with my arms on the seat of a chair, so that should be an achievable goal).

Anyways, one positive thing I can report on is that my bodyfat had gone down with 1% since last time I checked and weight had increased with like ½ kg or something. So progress is still slower than before, but it is happening.

Can't wait for my lifting numbers to go up and I can't wait for SUMMER! It's right around the corner

45 minute workout in the morning before class:

Bench:

50 kg 1x5

55 kg 5,5,4,4,4

Cable rows:

40 kg 3x8

50 kg 3x6

Lying leg raises: 3 sets

Went to school. Then 40 minute workout during lunch break:

Squats:

50 kg 1x5

60 kg 1x5

70 kg 1x5

80 kg 1x5

90 kg 1x5

100 kg 1x5

Barbell rows:

50 kg 3x5

Cable rows:

50 kg 3x6

Dead-hang pullups:

3x5

Lying leg raises: 3 sets

Bench was with proper form which means touching the chest between every rep (must admit that I probably don't always to that) and a controlled, focused movement. Even though I didn't make all the five sets, I felt like I was getting stronger on this exercise.

Yesterday:

Deadlift:

50 kg 1x5

60 kg 1x5

70 kg 1x5

80 kg 1x5

90 kg 1x5

100 kg 1x5

Seated Overhead Press:

35 kg 3x5

Standing Overhead Press:

35 kg 3x5

Pull-ups:

3x5

Finished with lying leg raises.

Had to fight for the last rep on the deadlift. It did not feel easy. Tried seated OHP for a change, and I must say I like the standing better. Though, it felt like I was isolating shoulders better when seated.

Gym is closed next week so it's bodyweight training time. Luckily the weather is getting better, so I can run and I can find a playground to do pull-ups at. I will work on one-arm push-ups, do ab work, pistol squats and whatever I can think of.

After an extremely active week with running everyday and lots of push-ups and pull-ups, I've decided to try and follow this program for some time: http://www.fiftypullups.com/ It is a 3 times a week program, so it will fit in nicely with my weightlifting routine. I am taking a pull-up test tomorrow, and I should be able to do 6 good pull-ups which is what it takes to qualify for level 3. I will then start the program Monday (gym doesn't open until Tuesday anyways) and then hopefully it will fit so that I can do both the pull-ups and the weights Monday, Wednesday and Friday as usual, and progress on both. I love bodyweight exercises, and it is what I will have to rely on during summer. Also today I took a long run in the forrest, stopping and finding big branches that I could press and curl. Felt nice and pumped afterwards!

• 2 weeks later...

Warmed up with my pull-up program.

Bench:

57.5 kg 5,5,4,4,2

Squats:

60 kg 1x5

70 kg 1x5

80 kg 1x5

90 kg 1x5

Cable rows:

50 kg 3x7

Bench is okay, will nail it in one or two more attempts. Squats SUCK! I am getting so fed up with these. I used to really like to squat, but I really can't find the enthusiasm for it right now. Think it will come after the summer break when I start Madcow. Right now I will just focus on getting my bench and deadlift up.

Warmed up with pull-ups.

Deadlift:

50 kg 1x5

70 kg 1x5

90 kg 1x3

100 kg 1x3

110 kg 1x1

90 kg 1x5

DB ohp:

15 kg's: 4x7

Front squat:

40 kg 3x8

Not that bad of a session. Deadlift was not as easy as they should be, but they went up. Will need to eat more.

Tried dumbbells for the overhead press. Felt a really nice pump even though using a bit lighter weight. The balance work was a nice change from the usual. Finished with front squats, cause I have to get used to them for madcow. Did not feel it so much in the legs because of light weight, but it's hard holding the barbell up. Went really low, which is the good thing about these. Will get better!

Friday:

Bench:

57.5 kg: 5,4

50 kg: 3x8

Barbell rows:

60 kg 5x5

Leg press 130 kg 5x5 (did these inbetween the rows)

Monday:

Deadlifts:

50 kg 1x5

80 kg 1x5

95 kg 1x5

105 kg 1x5

110 kg 1x1

Finally got the 105. Looking forward to deadlifts again Friday. Felt pain in my right elbow when attempting military press, so I skipped that. Will go for a run in a moment and then attempt some dumbbell press when I get home.

Today:

Squat:

50 kg 1x5

70 kg 1x5

90 kg 3x5

Military Press:

35 kg 5x5

Deadlift:

50 kg 1x5

70 kg 1x5

95 kg 1x3

110 kg 1x5

Finished with planks and sit-ups.

Okay, so I've decided that the last month before the summer break is going to be a 3x5 routine for most lifts. Will do 5x5 on OHP untill I stall and then continue with 3x5, same goes with bench press where I will deload probably to 52.5 kg on Thursday, do 5x5 and then continue from there till I stall and then do 3x5 instead. I have about 5 weeks left before the 2 months without barbells, so my goal right now is basically to get as far as I can so that I can start Madcow in the autumn with some good weight. My goal right now is 125 kg for deadlift, 110 kg for squat and maybe 62.5 for bench. I don't really know, the squat felt weak today cause it's been a while since I've done it, but I'm just doing what I can and taking it easy. Deadlift felt great, except for my grip which seems a bit weak and slippery. It's getting better though, and I have come to like the deadlift again - great!

Bench:

52.5 kg 5x5

BB row:

52.5 kg 5x5

Squat:

50 kg 1x5

70 kg 3x5

Bench was eeeeeasy. Took short rest between set. Really nice feeling. The rows were also easy. I had really bad DOMs in my legs yesterday, as it was a long time since I squatted last, so took it easy today. Will go for a run tomorrow and then rest over the weekend so I am ready for squats and deadlifts Monday.

Friday:

Squat:

50 kg 1x5

70 kg 1x5

100 kg 3x5

OHP:

40 kg kg 3x5 (did not have time for two more sets, but I will do 5x5 Wednesday)

Deadlift:

50 kg 1x5

70 kg 1x5

100 kg 1x3

115 kg 0 (fail - squats had me worn out, better do the deadlifts first thing next time)

100 kg 1x5

Monday:

Bench:

57.5 kg 5x5 (yes! hope to make 60 kg in first attempt on Friday. Felt really strong today)

BB row:

57.5 kg 5x5

One set of dips and chin-ups to failure.

Finished the first 5 weeks of my pull-up program Friday. Will take a max test Wednesday I think, and then continue the program next week.

Wednesday:

Deadlift:

50 kg 1x5

70 kg 1x5

90 kg 1x5

100 kg 1x5

115 kg 0 (argh! fail again! don't know what happened!)

OHP:

42.5 kg 5x5 (FINALLY!)

Friday:

Bench:

60 kg 5,3,4,3,3

BB-row:

60 kg 5x5

Bench:

60 kg 1x1

65 kg 1x1

50 kg 1x10

Wide-grip pull-ups: 1x9 (that's pretty good I think, considering it's wide grip and after workout!)

• 2 weeks later...

Monday:

OHP:

45 kg 4,3,1

Deadlift:

50 kg 1x5

70 kg 1x5

90 kg 1x5

100 kg 1x5

115 kg (fail)

Wednesday:

Squat: