MoshxDeLaney's lifting log

4/8/2011

bench press - (45x5, 95x6, 135x5, 155x3), 200x5, 225x3, 250x6

incline dumbbell press - 65x5x10

dumbbell row - 90x10, 10, 10, 9, 7 (per arm)

neck harness/dumbbell shrug superset - (15x8/75x8, 25x8/85x8), 35x18/100x15, 12/12, 9/10

Did my rotator cuff work afterwards, no cardio today. It was cold and rainy all day and I felt like I had a good workout, so I left it at that.

BW:234

Notes: I feel as if I've finally gotten my form down really well for the bench. I stayed nice and tight through the set and hit the number of reps I was hoping for. With the neck/shrug superset I did the reps slow and deliberate, just trying to get a good contraction on each rep. I'm sore literally from the top of my neck to the bottom of my calves right now, so I think this week has been a success so far. Now I just have to squat tomorrow

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4/9/2011

squat - (20kgx8, 50x5, 70x3, 100x3), 115x5, 130x3, 150x4

good morning - (20kgx8, 40x8), 70x9, 9, 8, 8, 7

standing cable crunch - 120x5x12

s/s

wide grip pull up - BWx5x6

barbell curl - (20kgx8, 30x6), 45x6, 6, 5

Decided to do some box jumps for a quick cardio/explosive lower body workout. Usually I'll jump, jump back down, reset my feet, repeat, but this week I just decided to go rapid fire. Jump, jump down, repeat. Much better cardio work. I did 5 sets of 8 onto a 32.5" box. After this I did 5 sets of 20 reverse hypers to help keep my lower back in check.

BW: 235

Notes: According to the formula Wendler gives in the 5/3/1 book (which I know is not entirely accurate, but has been pretty useful), this puts my squat max at 170kg. Next week I'm going to max out on my major lifts, except probably deadlifts, as my back is still not 100%.

This week I'm just testing my maxes on my four major lifts (squat, bench, deadlift, military press) and doing some light accessory work just to pump some blood into the muscles. I haven't tried a true one rep max on anything since I began lifting again last year, so I felt like it was time to see where I stand.

4/12/2011

standing military press - 20kgx5, 40x3, 50x1, 60x1, 70x1, 80x1, missed 85 3 times

dip/wide grip pull up superset - BWx8/BWx5 for 3 supersets

tri-set:

dumbbell side lateral - 15lbx10, 10x10, 10x10

dumbbell rear lateral - 15lbx10, 10x10, 10x10

neck curl - 10kgx8, 10x8, 10x8

Notes: Last week I hit 78kgx3 on my military press, so I was hoping for at least 85 for a single, but it just didn't happen. Everything just felt off today. I had an insane day at work and was really worn out from that, so perhaps that had something to do with it. 80 went up pretty smooth, so I know I'm good for more. On my first attempt at 85 I got it to about the top of my head but just couldn't lock it out. The next two attempts I barely moved it at the bottom, so I knew I was done. But at least now I have a jump off point for the future. Tomorrow is deadlift day. I'm still not sure if I'll actually go for a true one rep max with my lower back not being 100%. I will see how warming up feels tomorrow. I need to decide if I want to continue with 5/3/1 after this week. I've been contemplating giving Westside a try, but I don't know if I'm ready for that just yet. I also want to give my joints a bit of a break and start leaning out for the summer as well. Not that aesthetics are my main concern right now. I might give Olympic lifting a try. I have very minimal experience with it but I really like it and I work out in an Olympic lifting gym, so this is feeling like a good option right now. I'll keep the few of you who read this updated on my decisions.

4/13/2011

deadlift - 70kgx5, 100x3, 120x3, 150x1, 170x1, 200x1, 210x1, 230x1

glute ham raise - 3 sets of 5 @BW

hanging leg raise - 3 sets of 8 @BW

BW:233

Notes: I wasn't really sure what I would be able to pull today, as I've only been back deadlifting heavy for a few weeks. I pulled the 210 really smooth and knew I had a lot more in me, but wasn't sure if I felt like putting my lower back at risk. After a minute or two of contemplation and a guy I chat with at the gym encouraging me, I added 10 kilos more to each side and pulled it. It was definitely hard, but I knew right off the floor I had it. I probably had another 10 kilos in me, but I felt satisfied with 230. I see a 250 deadlift on the horizon. Went easy on the accessory work, nothing even close to failure, just wanted to get some blood into the muscles. Overall I'm pretty happy with the work out. Tomorrow I'll max out on bench.

Sorry I've been slacking.

4/14/2011

Maxed out on bench today. Did a few warm up sets then did progressively heavier singles until I hit 275, which went up really smooth. Since it went up so smooth I jumped up to 300. I bombed it. Put 285 on the bar and got it up. Went for 295 but missed. I definitely think I have more in me but it just wasn't my night. After that I just did a few really light sets of close grip presses and incline presses and called it a night.

BW: 232

4/15/2011

Maxed out on squats. A few warm up sets then progressively heavier singles. Hit a 180 kilo squat smooth enough that I think I had 190 in me but when I hit depth with 180 it bothered my sacrum a bit, so I left it at that. I was anticipating a 170-175 so I was still very happy, but am always left wanting more. After that I did a few light sets of good mornings and standing cable crunches.

BW: 232

4/18/2011

decided to stick with 5/3/1 for now. I'm still making gains, so I'm not going to fix what isn't broken.

military press - 20kgx6, 40x5, 50x3, 55x5, 64x5, 72x6

pull up - BWx12, 8, 6, 5, 4

dip - BW+25x12, 10, 10, 8, 7

neck curl - 15kgx12, 12, 8

After this I went home and did 3 sets of 21 tire flips superset with 3 sets of 20 sledge hammer hits. I really engaged my core on the sledge hits. This felt awesome.

BW: 233

Notes: I didn't quite hit the reps I was hoping for on my lifts today, but everything felt great. I changed up my grip on pull ups, going from wide to shoulder width, and I also made sure every rep I got my chin well over the bar as opposed to just bringing it to the bar, getting an awesome squeeze at the top. All assistance work stopped about one rep short of failure.

4/19/2011

deadlift - 70kgx5, 90x3, 110x3, 135x5, 155x5, 175x9

glute ham raise - BWx10, 8, 7, 6, 4

barbell lunge - 60kgx10, 10, 10

hanging leg raise - BWx12, 12, 10, 8, 7

After lifting I did 5 sets of 10 box jumps onto a 32.5" box, rapid fire. Got me breathing pretty heavy and left my lower body feeling worn out. Success.

BW: 234

Notes: I feel like I probably had a 10th rep in me on the deadlift, but I think my form would have started to break down a bit, and I'm still trying to protect my back. I've also been going without a lifting belt, however. I wold typically throw it on for my heavy set of my big exercise but I want to leave it out. After doing hanging leg raises for so long, I've finally found my stroke, using nothing but my abs to pull them up. I would never use momentum, but I think before I was using some leg strength to help, and holy crap were my abs screaming. I think they were also a little worn out from the tire hits yesterday, but either way it felt amazing.

4/21/2011

bench press - 45x5, 95x5, 135x5, 175x3, 185x5, 205x5, 225x9+1 forced rep

close grip press - 135x5, 185x5, 205x4, 225x3, 245x3

incline press - 135x5, 155x5, 185x4, 225x2

dumbbell row - 5 sets of 10 per arm w/90lb dumbbell

Did 3 sets of my 21 tire flips/20 sledge hits. Felt pretty satisfied after 3 sets so I left it at that

Notes: Took a friend to the gym today who had basically no experience in weight training, but after today he's really excited to go back. I'm going to have him follow 5/3/1, as I think it's a great routine and it makes it simple because it's what I'm doing. For some reason I kept hitting the rack with the bar on my last set of bench press, which threw me off really badly, and I never do that, otherwise I know I had probably two more reps in me. That got me really angry but I didn't let it get to me. This was my first time doing close grip presses and barbell incline presses in years, aside from last week, which was a deload. The close grip presses felt great; I still have to find my stroke on the incline.

4/22/2011

squat - 20kgx5, 50x5, 70x3, 90x3, 105x5, 120x5, 135x6

good morning - 70kgx10, 10, 8, 8, 8

standing cable crunch - 120x10, 10, 10, 10, 10

superset with

wide grip pull up - BWx6, 6, 6, 6, 6

barbell curl - 45kgx6, 6, 6

After lifting I did 5 sets of 10 rapid fire jumps onto a 32.5" box

BW: 233

Notes: Brought my buddy to the gym again today. This should be a regular thing now. I forgot how hard it is trying to teach proper squat form to someone who is rather out of shape and has basically zero lifting experience. I did a lot of demonstration which I think actually took something out of me for my actual work sets, but I'm glad to help a friend. Normally I will throw a belt on for the final set of each of the 4 major lifts, but I've decided not to rely on the belt anymore. It was clearly giving me some assistance, as I probably could have hit 8 reps at 135 kilos with the belt on. I feel in the long run it will definitely pay off

...but I've decided not to rely on the belt anymore. It was clearly giving me some assistance, as I probably could have hit 8 reps at 135 kilos with the belt on. I feel in the long run it will definitely pay off

I agree, Mosh! Just make sure not to get greedy with gains. Slow and steady wins (read as finishes) the race.

Personally, I've never used a belt and don't even know how to wear one! ...or any other gear for that matter.

BTW, what have you got going diet-wise?

Yeah, I was never one to use a belt until I injured my sacrum. I've never used any other type of supportive gear. I work out in shorts, a t shirt and chuck taylors. As far as my diet I'll give you a typical training day:

4 AM - 2 packets 365 brand oatmeal, 1 field roast applewood sage sausage, 3 dates, 1 cup orange juice, 1 cup green tea

7:30 AM - kale smoothie: 2 cups almond milk, 1 kale leaf, 1 scoop protein powder, 1 serving wheat grass powder, 1 tbsp flax oil

11 AM - 1.5 Tofurky kielbasa links, 1 cup cooked brown rice, 1 small-medium yam, 2 servings coconut milk yogurt

2:15 PM - pre workout meal: peanut butter and agave nectar sandwich on whole wheat bread, 1 cup almond milk

5 PM - post workout: 2 cups chocolate almond milk, 1.5 servings nitro fusion, 1 piece of fruit

7PM - large green salad made with spring mix, avocado, carrots and 1/3 of a field roast celebration roast. This is really the only meal that can be vastly different day to day. Sometimes it's a double quarter pounder Amy's veggie burger with daiya cheese on a whole wheat bin, sometimes it's a giant burrito from chipotle

Also, I drink about 20 ounces of water after each meal, as well as sipping it throughout the day. I drink one electrolyte drink during my workout. Recently I've been making my own based on a recipe from the Thrive book. I try to drink As much water as I do of the electrolyte drink during my workout. I probably drink close to two gallons of water every day

Man! Compared to you, I am severely lacking in the water department!

I know I really need to get on that... not even at a gallon a day...MAYBE 3 liters -

IF I count all the green tea I drink throughout the day.

How well does the peanut butter sit with you just before a w/o?

I know for me, I'll heave if I have it pre-w/o especially on a heavy squat day...

I think everyone is severely lacking in the water department in comparison to me haha. I'm just a thirsty guy, always have been. I can drink water until my stomach is so full I feel like I'm going to vomit, and still feel thirsty. I actually think I have some sort Pf glandular issue, as I'm also a very slow eater because I have to chew so much. I should really get that checked out.

As far as the peanut butter goes, I do eat that sandwich an hour before I start lifting. I definitely had to get used to it though

4/25/2011

military press - 20kgx6, 20x5, 30x5, 40x5, 50x3, 60x3, 68x3, 77x4

pull up - BWx10, 7, 6, 5, 4

dip - BW+25x12, 10, 10, 10, 10

neck curl - 15kgx12, 12, 10

Did 3 supersets of 21 tire flips and 20 sledge hammer hits. It got really hot today, about 85, and I was definitely feeling it. I was pouring sweat. My hamstrings and hips were also really tight from my squat session on Friday and the multiple tire flipping sessions I did last week.

BW: 235

Notes: I typically do my pull ups from a straight bar on the top of the squat rack. Today I did them from an actual pull up bar, which I on the reverse side of the dip bar, shoved up against the wall. I pulled the apparatus out so I could use it. It's super wide and the handles on the end angle downward. It had been a long time since doing pull ups from a bar like this. I wasn't able to get as many reps, but I felt a much better stretch and contraction in my lats

That's crazy. Sometimes I wish I had a desk job so I could just eat non stop. I literally just don't have more time to eat during the day. I'm running around all day at work unloading palettes and things like that. I'm not sure how many calories I take in, I never count really, I just eat, but I think I probably take in more than you might think. I'll have to count someday and get back to you on that one.

4/26/2011

deadlift - 50kgx5, 70x3, 100x3, 120x1, 145x3, 165x3, 185x5

glute ham raise - BWx10, 8, 7, 6, 6

lunge - 65kgx10, 8, 8

hanging leg raise - BWx12, 12, 10, 9, 8

Got home from doing my deadlift work out a bit ago. I recently started adding in some sort of cardio after every one of my weight work outs. I did tire flips 3 days last week and yesterday and my PC was a little burnt out, and I really didn't feel like hill sprints at all, so I found a big tote bucket, filled it up with some spare mulch I have, and did a Hussafell stone type carry for a length of my driveway, part of which goes around a circle. The implement only weighed about 60 pounds (yes, I brought my scale outside and weighed it), but it was just wide enough so that I couldn't quite lock my fingers. I would estimate the distance at about 300 feet or so. I did this for five rounds. Not particularly taxing cardio wise, but it was pretty fun nonetheless.

BW: 236

Notes: my posterior chain is still completely fatigued from all the tire flipping I've been doing. I think I need to keep that to one or maybe two days per week, and definitely not the day before I deadlift. Still not using a belt at all and resting 90 seconds between accessory work sets.