I tried to give up Veganism, mental breakdown ensued.

Cellar Yeti

I was having a really hard time with Veganism. The constant effort and thought that was required to maintain this diet was getting to me. With everything on my plate with my van conversion and my health I decided to go back to Vegetarianism. I was still going to continue buying pretty much Vegan food but not hassle with take out or food people gave me, save for meat.

My sister invited me out to dinner with her and her husband just an hour or so after deciding this. I ordered a veggie burger but I KNEW there was cheese and egg in the patty. I sat and waited and when the burger finally arrived I had a mental breakdown. I was about to eat it when I just snapped and started crying.

I remembered the whole reason I took up Veganism. It wasn't for the convenience of it, it was for the pain, malice, neglect and complete abhorrence surrounding the creatures we take for granted. Every time I saw a commercial, an article, a tv show about animal abuse and the food industry I felt the pain and neglect of those animals. I remembered how horrible and gut wrenching it felt to try and imagine what kind of misery these creatures went through. It all flooded over me as I was about to make the shittiest fucking spineless mistake in my life and I started crying, right there, in a fucking restaurant. I got up and left with people staring at me.

I don't know why I am sharing this, I know it seems spineless because I tried to give it up just because it was too hard, what turned me back on the straight and narrow was how spineless it was, I would become one of them if I gave up Veganism. I guess I realize now Veganism is more than a lifestyle to me, or a trend to me. It's not about the health consequences. It's about the brutality that these creatures endure, I boycott animal products for ever poor creature that has suffered and been exposed to this brutality. Veganism is part of me, its indelibly etched into my soul. I can never go back with how the other side makes me feel.

I guess I'm done with my rambling. I know how devout Christians feel now. I'd take a bullet to the face to defend my Veganism after that episode.

Never give up, if you truly believe in something, die for it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It doesn't have to be difficult to be vegan, but lots of people make it that way for themselves. Many of them don't feel as strongly about veganism as you do and end up giving up forever. You don't need to eat raw foods or mostly raw foods, or even mostly whole foods to be healthier than the average person today.

The human body is very adaptable and can thrive on a variety of diets, which is why we can survive in so many different environments. If you are having trouble keeping up with your "healthy" vegan diet, then you are making it too hard on yourself.

Everyone needs to remember that veganism is not a diet and it is not about food. It is and has always been about eliminating unnecessary suffering. It just happens to be that the easiest way to stop the most suffering is to eat a purely plant based diet.

• 2 weeks later...

As you know you're not alone. There are vegetarians who do eat things like yogurt or cheese. It can be trying too. Last week I was starving and at this restaurant late in the day for lunch. I wanted lentil soup and asked if it had meat as they sometimes do. The waiter said it had chicken stock. So I had the only vegan thing on the menu, salad. Anyway, you do what you can.

• 2 weeks later...

Well currently I am living in my van and traveling around the United States, so I know all about traveling and eating Vegan.

A lot of restaurants and grocery stores have very limited Vegan options, especially not organic. It's even tougher when you refuse to support restaurants that have a lot of meaty crap on the menu. I kind of split hairs here but if a restaurant doesn't offer a few vegan or vegetarian options I won't eat there. Which means there are no big chains I eat at.

But when I find awesome deals on dried soups, canned soups, peanut butter, nuts etc. I buy a bunch and store them all over my van (limited storage)

Either way, traveling as a Vegan has given me a very strong sense of pride and peace. the challenge for me has become but a whisper. It's even more interesting when people who live out in the countryside away from people know what Veganism is, it's spreading!

For memorial day I stopped at a nice campground and made fake hot dogs and beans. I tend not to eat meat replacements but it was memorial day. =P

Oh, and thanks guys! I hope everyone remains steadfast in their beliefs and values, whatever they might be!