How many meals per day do you eat?

summer

I eat two larger meals a day usually (lunch and dinner). If I get hungry between those meals I have a protein shake or some fruit or something.

It's been working great for me. I tried eating 5-6 smaller meals, but I just never felt satisfied and it led to me overeating. This way I eat two large meals and I'm nice and full and satisfied.

Why do you think it would not work long term?

@ lobsteriffic well when i try 2 meals a day i can usually go 3-4 days eating 2 meals but then i always cave after a while and fall off the 2 meal thing. buttt it is the best option for me as i too, will over eat if eating 5-6 smaller meals but i just always keep hearing 5-6 is better for you??

I have my food budget and I eat pretty much the same format every day, a few apples, bananas, some raisins, oats, protein shakes, etc. But I don't limit myself to a specific meal pattern, some days I will eat a bunch of small meals and split all my food up, other days I will eat only a few big meals and just merge all my food choices together.

I try and listen to what my body is saying verses what other people say. I think the problem is people are too regimented, your body will tell you what it needs and needs to do to be healthy and it will always fluctuate with weather, exertion, stress, hormones, etc.

If I feel off on a given day and am not feeling dinner I'll skip it. It's my body telling me it's not cool with another meal.

Hasn't failed me yet.

@ lobsteriffic well when i try 2 meals a day i can usually go 3-4 days eating 2 meals but then i always cave after a while and fall off the 2 meal thing. buttt it is the best option for me as i too, will over eat if eating 5-6 smaller meals but i just always keep hearing 5-6 is better for you??

We used to have a few members on here who were using 'intermittant fasting' (check out leangains.com if you are interested) and were having pretty good progress eating a few times a day rather than 5-6 'mini meals'. A few of those members don't post that much anymore.

What makes you fall off the 2 meal thing? Hunger? Although I only eat two meals, they are typically pretty big meals. Sometimes I get hungry in the AM, but I have coffee or tea and usually my hunger goes away.

At the end of the day though, I think Yeti has a point in that if you find smaller meals works better for you on some days, I don't think you need to feel badly about that.