Article: Is Sugar Toxic?

I have a short attention span, I need the cliff notes version. As much as I read, it was interesting but I gave up. Although obesity has many factors. I think inactivity seems to be a larger factor in the US but processed/refined foods have a part as well.

I have a short attention span, I need the cliff notes version. As much as I read, it was interesting but I gave up. Although obesity has many factors. I think inactivity seems to be a larger factor in the US but processed/refined foods have a part as well.

It's actually not about obesity really, but about the toxicity of sugar....

"Lustig’s argument, however, is not about the consumption of empty calories — and biochemists have made the same case previously, though not so publicly. It is that sugar has unique characteristics, specifically in the way the human body metabolizes the fructose in it, that may make it singularly harmful, at least if consumed in sufficient quantities.

As Lustig points out, sugar and high-fructose corn syrup are certainly not “acute toxins” of the kind the F.D.A. typically regulates and the effects of which can be studied over the course of days or months. The question is whether they’re “chronic toxins,” which means “not toxic after one meal, but after 1,000 meals.”"

Gary Taubes is the same guy who helped bring back the low carb craze that started Atkins off on his last cycle.

Irrelevant to the judgement of the article quality.

Maybe not. Taube's original article about low carb diets was filled full of non facts. He has a history of talking out of the side of his mouth.

"Toxic" has a technical definition that likely does not fit sugar.

People have known for decades that eating lots of sugar is not healthy. Taube isn't saying anything new. Having a candy bar or a teaspoon of sugar in your coffee isn't going to hurt anyone.

Sloppy eating habbits are.