Yes I Can Do This & I'll Show You

Well that was a long week. Early mornings. Late nights. That’s the way it goes. Mostly stayed on course with my workouts except for Tuesday and Wednesday. Tuesday was the longest and hardest. The fall out was felt the rest of the week. But it was good for business so I can’t complain about that.

This happens to all of us. The demands of family, career and other things cut into fitness time. It’s hard balancing it all sometimes. I definitely think being vegan got me through the week. It’s happened before too. How? Exactly I don’t know. What I do know is that I’ve experienced more energy, clarity and calm since making the change. There are probably scientific studies that explain it. Just as all politics is local, all nutrition is personal. To put it bluntly, it’s all about me. How do I feel? How fit am I? When you eat, it’s all about you. Sure we dine together. Sunday dinners with the family are some of the best times. But what we eat is individual – all about ourselves.

Looking forward to the week: I think I’ll stay with my current routine for this week. It’s been good and I can feel the strength gains. I banged out 10 wide grip pull ups for the first time in a long time! I have a somewhat loose shoulder that sometimes makes them difficult. So I hope the fact that I can do them now at will means there’s been some muscle gain. The journey continues.

GO PATS!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Week 3. Started great. Ended on a down note. An old injury reared its ugly head in a big way. Sharp pain from my hip all the way down to my toes. Up my back too. Caused some sleepless nights. So I haven’t worked out since Wednesday. Today is Sunday. Tomorrow it’s a trip to the chiropractor for an adjustment.

I suppose that’s the price you sometimes pay for an active life. You play sports or have other active pursuits you expose yourself to injury. The couch potato alternative is a body of jelly. Besides I don’t do sit still very well. I need to move, lift, walk, run, jump, whatever. I always have. Even if I’m chained to a desk I have to get up and walk around after some time.

Maybe the good thing that came out of this extended period of rest is the whole recovery thing. That is I’m hoping my muscles got some good recovery time in. I did eat well so that should help. Did have some wine with dinner at friends’ house Saturday. Overall though I’m staying away from alcohol during this training period. If you’re trying to get in shape it’s the worst thing you can drink.

Ok going forth: Monday chiropractor. He’ll put me back together! Then we’ll see how hard I can push it in the gym. I swear there’s no better high than a great workout, whatever it is, weights, running, hiking, mt. biking. With weights there’s the added benefit of the next day pump too! It’s the best.

Hope you're back to feeling great again soon!

All the best,

Robert

Thanks.

Saw the chiropractor yesterday. Feel so good! I did do an upper body workout last night and my left shoulder was still a little weak. Pushed hard but made sure I didn't over do it which is why my shoulder has problems now. We live & learn. I expect to be back up to full speed by the end of the week.

• 2 weeks later...

Well this was a long week. I got few workouts in but that was about it. Did some good cardio tonight. I needed it so bad. So I had three awesome workout weeks followed by one of almost none. It seems that's the cycle. Three on. One off. It's not an intentional off. Now I'm dog tired. Relaxed thanks to a good workout, but dog tired.

So I'm going to finish writing this then hit the hay for some badly needed Z's. Ok, it was one of those weeks. A combination of everything scraping me down like sandpaper on balsa wood. I do have to say this, and I've said it before as have other people: a vegan diet gives you more energy. I can only imagine how worn down I'd be if I didn't eat right. Greens & water were priority. Especially water to refresh the body and flush out toxins.

What's next? Lace up and play again tomorrow. It's a long season. Win some. Lose some. Win more. Get back on the horse and ride again. What else can you do? There are no undefeated teams in this year's Superbowl. They didn't get there by whining over loses, or fumbles, or penalties. You just get back up and play again and never quit.

The Pack is Back!

I hope I didn't just jinx them.

Up & down. In the zone. Out of the zone. Drove hard for three solid weeks then as you can see from above things fell apart. Not completely. All you can do is move forward. Don't get in a slug rut. It's not like me to not get some kind of exercise anyway. I don't do sit still very well. All that energy can't stay bottled up. Not in me. I have to move.

What's next? Drive forward as hard as I can. You get knocked down. You get back up. Time to workout.

P.S.

Just did. Feel great! The kid is back!

Got on the scale. Lost weight. Down to 154.5 from 160 on 1/1/11. No, I'm not trying to lose weight. BF% is at 14 according to the scale. That's about the same as 1 Jan. Sure a BF% reading on the scale is very rough +/- a couple of points. I like to think minus. The real way to tell is the mirror. If you look more cut than before, you've lost fat. I can't tell yet.

Basically like everyone else I'm trying to build lean mass. The thing is, even with the 5.5 lb drop I feel strong and energetic. I think what it comes down to is that I just need more protein. I always do a protein / BCAA recovery smoothie / shake after a workout. For breakfast I usually do a Vega smoothie and it's time to add some protein to it.

During the day is another situation. Eating on the run has its challenges. I don't do junk food. Snacks are usually nuts or fruit. When I'm in my own office I'll start bringing some protein smoothies for the day. Ok, we'll see how things go from here.

• 2 weeks later...

After going full power for nearly a month, workouts have come to a screeching halt. Damn! Once or twice (if I'm lucky) a week doesn't cut it either. Long days at work. Travel. It's hard to workout when you come home at 9 PM after starting work at 7 AM. If it was warmer out I would just go out for a run or a walk. How can I do that and not strength train? I don't know. I just can. You don't have to focus when you run.

So I'm looking forward to a two week trip and more crazy hours. I think I can get in some workouts. Just checked the hotel's fitness center. Dumbells!! Ok good. Usually they only have treadmills. I don't consider treadmills to be a fitness center. Better than nothing, sure.

Other good thing is that before I go next week I'll be able to get in some strength training. I need it so bad. I'm a cranky SOB without it. Life goes on. Keep moving.

• 3 weeks later...

For the first time in years I found out what it's like to go longer than a week without a workout. No joke. The plu$ $ide is that it made my quarter at work. On the other hand I went through a tail spin physically. Gained a couple of pounds but without exercise you know it's flab. Looking at my blog entries it seems that's the way it's been going. I couldn't even get into the hotel's workout room described in my last entry. So today marks yet another beginning to break the threshold. Keep on truckin'.

I know the feeling. I'm taking 7-10 days off right now myself.

Congrats on the work success!

Do what you need to do. The gym will always be there

Thanks. Life goes on and the important thing is to not quit and keep going. The nice thing about the project is that the person ordering lunch every day did take into consideration my vegan ways and ordered appropriately and I was appreciative of her efforts.

So now I'm back in my regular life. Bills are paid. Laundry is done. And everything else that went neglected and forgotten for the past month is done. The moving of cast iron will now continue!

• 2 weeks later...

Cue theme from Magnificent Seven...

Yesterday it was upper body, today it was killer kettlebell cardio. I feel so great!

Now for a little reality check. The long layoff did affect performance. How could it not. I think a week of consistent workouts will get my body fully back in the zone. And for once I'm going to commit to getting a good night's sleep so I'm off now.

Today it was nice & warm (mid 70's F / low 20's C) here in New York. Finally I got to go out for a run after work. It was nice to fly through the neighborhood and see everyone out after a nasty winter. Then it was a hot shower & bean soup for dinner. Life is good.

Weather is nice. Went running twice this week. Feel so relaxed Right now I'm just trying to get my legs back. Normally I sprint a block then jog a block. But with a messed up hip I need to ease back into the hard stuff.

I'm back in the zone too working out consistently for the last two weeks. Been trying to cut coffee. Only had one cup today. What a buzz! That's what happens when you detox and your tolerance is down. Sleep, well lack of it, is still an issue. So since it's almost 10 PM I'm going to sign off and get some rest. Peace.

• 2 weeks later...

It was a year ago I went veg. Lent last year. Hardly seems possible. Yet people still ask me if I miss meat. A full year of BBQ's, weddings, holidays and I don't even miss meat. Physically I feel cleaner, more energetic and healthier.

So I'm still basically the same weight as I was 1, 5, 10 years ago. I gain in the winter and drop in the summer. I feel just as strong. Past sports injuries aside. I get in the workout zone. I fall out of it. Life is like that.

Mostly I like the idea of not having hormones and other chemicals injected into animals and passed on to humans in me. Why do I need them? If they're so safe why are so many American unhealthy?

Enough of that. Another good thing is that I've gotten into cooking and food in general. Lots of good recipe ideas on this site. Me, someone who mostly avoided cooking now exchanges recipes with family & friends. Let's not forget restaurants, bakeries and other vegan eateries and shops. I don't look for vegan food that mimics meat either. I don't want soy whatever as a substitute for meat whatever. I like my food to taste like what it is. I was the same as a meat eater too.

Of course there are also the issues of cruelty to animals and the environment. Knowing I'm doing something positive for animal and the environment is good. But, I've said this before, to convert I had to try it. It's a think globally, act locally issue. It always is. To put it more bluntly, what's in it for me? All I can say is try it and find out for yourself. I can tell you about factory farms, for example, but really most people need to experience things themselves.

All I can say to people who are even thinking of becoming vegetarian / vegan is to try it for a month. See how you feel and take it from there.

Well, that was a long entry. Happy Vegan Day to you!

Saw the trailers on the main page for Forks Over Knives and Vegan Brothers In Iron. Great job!

In Forks, we see exactly what's gone wrong with the American diet and how to fix it. But no one listens until they're stuck taking all those pills and medications, undergoing operations, getting cancer, etc. It's sad and hopefully the movie will reach people.

Here we go again. I would do great at NASCAR. Just keep going around in circles. So now the goal is Abs By August, with muscle of course. In the past three months I've been through more stops & starts than I count. Everytime I get going and get into the zone there is something to interrupt the program. So I just keep getting up and trying again.

I'm still determined to succeed. Sometimes it's a matter of just doing something at the end of a long day. Get up at 5 AM, work regular job, do some freelance work, go to bed late. I think it's a matter of time management, focus and determination. There is a way to balance everything during the week. Finding a way how is the key. With my workout motivation high I'm off to pick things up and put them down.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw Food, Inc. over the weekend. Nothing surprising or that I didn't already know, mostly. It just reinforced everything I knew.

In addition to the animal cruelty, it was interesting to see Monsanto, Tyson Foods and other large corporation put a stranglehold on the little guy. For example, for thousands of years, farmers saved seeds from previous seasons to use in the next season. Monsanto will not allow this and will even send thugs to strong arm any farmer who does. The monolith will also sue for patent infringement. F.U. Monsanto!

Anyway, I was thinking what a good lesson it would be to treat the executives, board members and lobbyists of these companies they way they treat their animals AND employees. Without the chopping of course. Maybe just lock them in a small dark room and stuff them full of nothing but corn.

Enough ranting. I'm off to workout and burn some steam.

Heading into Memorial Day Weekend! Looking fwd. to it. Just finished a workout and feel great! So back to the weekend. It's about focus. I'll be away helping a friend move. Good for physical activity. Bad with beer. Moving people usually goes like this: Help me move & I'll give you food & drink. I'm in the Zone now with my workouts. Alcohol would kill it. Focus. Focus. Focus. Show the six pack. Don't drink it.

• 4 weeks later...

Been on the bench the last two weeks with a groin pull. Lifting? No running either. Hurts too much. But I can still walk and NY is a nice city to just walk around and take it all in. I can bike too. So at least I get some exercise. Doing nothing drives me crazy. I have no idea how couch potatos can do it. Sitting still was never one of my characteristics. So life goes on.

Looking forward to July 4 weekend. Found some tasty looking recipes for grilled veggies. I'll be out of the city in the middle of farm country and looking forward to hitting the farm stands!

Have a great summer

• 2 weeks later...

Seems my workouts have been up and down for the past 9 mo. or so. Back up and running now, full throttle. Just pushing it has hard as I can. Still want to do something in the morning before going to work. Light cardio or whatever. Then do strength after work. Two jobs makes this difficult and I haven't done it yet. I just tell myself that rest is important too. Recovery builds strength and replenishes the body. Deal with it.

My goal now is to be in killer shape for an upcoming family reunion. I should quantify it somehow, weight, bf%, etc. It's in six weeks. So the big question is, "what can I reasonably accomplish in six weeks?" Staying focused is the key. Everything else will fall into place after that.

Speaking of which, I found the following quotes somewhere and taped them on my wall:

*Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated.

* If you want to do something, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse.

Don't quit. Ever.