Bench Press

Hi,

I've come to ask what I can do about increasing my bench. I don't go to a gym with a spotter and I am shy and uncomfortable asking anyone for a spot. I'm at a weight now that I'm uncomfortable increasing without a spotter. What's a guy to do? More reps at current weight? Complimentary exercises?

Thanks!

If you're serious about your progress you'll need to ask for a spot. Your numbers increase my lifting heavier weights.

You'll never get a "feel" for the heavier weights by getting tired with a lighter weight, and you probably already do other exercises that at least hit your tri's, shoulders and/or chest.

I would ask for a spotter. I'm usually the only female lifting weights when I workout and guys have no problem asking me to spot them and vise verse. Having a spotter helps me have more confidence to try more weight then I ever would on my own. Plus its better to have a spotter then having to have someone help you lift a bar that is stuck on your chest!

Thanks for the input. I've asked the staff for a spot before and were always happy to do so. I just feel so weird asking... just the way I am. I asked the only staff member at the gym today, and she had to get me to show her how to spot! Yikes. I thought for sure all staff members AT A GYM would know about giving their patrons a spot!

Other option, if you can set up a flat bench in a power rack, you can improvise. That's how I manage with lifting after 11 PM most times, set the bench in the rack, put the spotting pins at a height where the bar can sink about 1/2" into my chest (enough to get a full ROM but not enough that I can't roll it down to the end of the rack if I get stuck), and that usually gets the job done. I'm lucky enough to have someone available for a spot about 1 of every 10 sessions for my training, so you learn to work around it!

Shouldn´t be to hard to just say "hey, could you gimme a spot?"

But if you don´t want to you just don´t need to train to muscle failure.

Get to know the feeling you have directly before muscle failure and then you´ll learn to stop 1-2 reps before that.

And since you didn´t ask that same question for the squat: squat!