Anybody here outdoorsy?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a person who has always wanted to be super outdoorsey so I am working on becoming that now. I am learning to white water kayak and rock climb and hike/backpack. It is helping me get back in shape too. An organization I am involved with is summiting Mt. Hood in June, and I would love to do it but I am just not sure if I am up for that one yet.

Lisa, that is awesome! Mt. Hood is so amazing; I'll be up there, myself, all summer, bagging the rest of the trails that connect to Timberline Trail. It's the closest place that offers above-treeline views and actual geothermal activity. I'll be scoping out fumeroles as I hike. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fumarole

Regarding summiting Mt. Hood: know how to tell when you are ready to summit something? When it seems like the most natural thing in the world to do and you are so excited, you look forward to it constantly. If your mind is mostly filled with fear and what-if's, you're not in the sweet spot yet. When you get to the place of "I was MADE to do this! Why haven't I done this earlier?" you know you're there. You can get someone else to teach you climbing technique but only you can train you mentally, and trust me, that's the biggest part of scaling a mountain. Ain't nothing like standing on that summit, girl! You're gonna love it! Woo-HOO!

Plenty of good stuff to do on Hood in the meantime--as soon as they open up Cloud Cap Road to vehicles this spring, get up to Cooper Spur and hang out as much as you can at elevation. It will condition your body as well as acclimate your mind to that kind of topography. When it feels "normal" to be hangin' out with eagles and glaciers and rocky precipices, it'll be an easy walk over to the wilder side. Barrett Spur is another fun little pointy spot that you can get to from Elk Cove Trail, Pinnacle Ridge Trail, or Vista Ridge Trail. The roads for those will suck for a while yet, though. If you can get to the Sisters, I have a lot of friends who like to train there, too. Then, there's always the ultimate, Smith Rock. http://www.smithrock.com/

Baby Herc

Edited by Baby Hercules

Theres nothing like doing some yoga in the wide open spaces.

Mmmmm...that sounds delish, Jacob. I'm imagining Corpse Pose in a field of tall waving grass on a mild summer's day. Of course, it can easily turn into Nap Pose!

Baby Herc

Edited by Baby Hercules

I really favored it to dwelling in a house. Then, certain thing occurred and I abruptly started worshiping warm wash rooms and clean, dry sheets. I still have all my equipment but I don't understand when it's going to arrive out of hibernation.

I'm with you. I experienced a shift wherein my need to live out of a tent was exchanged for a need for hot showers and a dry, warm room to stretch in each morning. I'm a daytripper now, with occasional overnights in friends' houses on the coast. Nothing like a six-bedroom mansion on the beach for a Base Camp.

Baby Herc

I'm going hiking in Muir Woods this weekend for the first time ever! It made me think of this thread. I hardly ever go hiking, so I'm really looking forward to it.

You lucky duck! I saw a documentary on Muir and all the natural places he helped establish, especially through his friendship with fellow nature lover, President Theodore Roosevelt. Muir Woods was the first private parcel of land that was named a national monument; the story is kind of funny, read it in Wiki. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muir_Woods_National_Monument

The Pacific Northwest above California is my current haunt and our forests are pretty much a spitting image of Muir Woods except much, much denser and wetter. The movie "The Hunted" was filmed here for the near-impenetrability of the undergrowth and the darkness of it's interior. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hunted_(2003_film) There are places so dark and dense that at noon, you can barely see where you are going. It's the reason I stick to the volcanoes for hiking--at least with rock, there's a view! Ha, ha!

Have lots and lots of fun. Post a pic.

Baby Herc

Lisa, that is awesome! Mt. Hood is so amazing; I'll be up there, myself, all summer, bagging the rest of the trails that connect to Timberline Trail. It's the closest place that offers above-treeline views and actual geothermal activity. I'll be scoping out fumeroles as I hike. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fumarole

Regarding summiting Mt. Hood: know how to tell when you are ready to summit something? When it seems like the most natural thing in the world to do and you are so excited, you look forward to it constantly. If your mind is mostly filled with fear and what-if's, you're not in the sweet spot yet. When you get to the place of "I was MADE to do this! Why haven't I done this earlier?" you know you're there. You can get someone else to teach you climbing technique but only you can train you mentally, and trust me, that's the biggest part of scaling a mountain. Ain't nothing like standing on that summit, girl! You're gonna love it! Woo-HOO!

Plenty of good stuff to do on Hood in the meantime--as soon as they open up Cloud Cap Road to vehicles this spring, get up to Cooper Spur and hang out as much as you can at elevation. It will condition your body as well as acclimate your mind to that kind of topography. When it feels "normal" to be hangin' out with eagles and glaciers and rocky precipices, it'll be an easy walk over to the wilder side. Barrett Spur is another fun little pointy spot that you can get to from Elk Cove Trail, Pinnacle Ridge Trail, or Vista Ridge Trail. The roads for those will suck for a while yet, though. If you can get to the Sisters, I have a lot of friends who like to train there, too. Then, there's always the ultimate, Smith Rock. http://www.smithrock.com/

Baby Herc

Thanks Baby Herc! Sounds like you have some awesome hikes planned out for this summer! I am not sure if I am quite at the sweet spot yet, unfortunately. I need some more time to get in better shape I think to not have the "can I really haul my fat ass up a mountiain?" thoughts. If they do the trip again next year I will be ready for it though! I really want to move out the Pacific NW sometime, to have all that amazing stuff out in your backyard to play in would be so cool! Ocean and mountains, doesn't get better than that. But its not like I lose if I don't go on the Mt. Hood trip, the other option is a week long kayaking trip down the Main Salmon River in Idaho, so still an amazing trip!

Thanks for this thread. Love the outdoors and hearing about your adventures. I'm not a mileage junkie or peak bagger. I'm more likely to take the shortest trail to a waterfall, cave, swimming hole, panoramic view or whatever else is interesting. Love to hike rivers and creeks, rock-hopping, wading and swimming rather than following a trail.

As for hot showers and clean sheets, I'm fine without them. Have lived outdoors for months at a time and never showered, just dipped in some creek, river, lake or ocean every day. I'm just as likely to sleep on the ground under the stars as to bother with a tent. My favorite was in New Mexico a couple of summers ago, sleeping on the ground in a thunderstorm, dozing in and out catching glimpses of the amazing light show in the sky. The best part was that by the time I got out of my sleeping bag, almost everything was completely dry including me. Gotta love the desert!

We're planning some hiking and camping in Shenandoah National Park this summer. It's the park in Virginia where I first started hiking and backpacking over 20 years ago. Can't wait to share it with my wife and kids.

As for hot showers and clean sheets, I'm fine without them. Have lived outdoors for months at a time and never showered, just dipped in some creek, river, lake or ocean every day. I'm just as likely to sleep on the ground under the stars as to bother with a tent. My favorite was in New Mexico a couple of summers ago, sleeping on the ground in a thunderstorm, dozing in and out catching glimpses of the amazing light show in the sky. The best part was that by the time I got out of my sleeping bag, almost everything was completely dry including me. Gotta love the desert!

That sounds awesome Michael. Were you living outside for months just for fun, or did you have some type of guide job?

That sounds awesome Michael. Were you living outside for months just for fun, or did you have some type of guide job?

Thanks Lisa, it was just for fun. Intentionally jobless and homeless summer of '07, living out under the trees. My two youngest daughters don't remember it very well, hopefully we'll get to do it again.

Thanks Lisa, it was just for fun. Intentionally jobless and homeless summer of '07, living out under the trees. My two youngest daughters don't remember it very well, hopefully we'll get to do it again.

Sounds awesome! I would love to do something like that.

I'm from Russia, from Siberia. In our area we have high mountains, the highest point of 4506 m, Belukha Mountain ( info about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belukha_Mountain ), because of it with childhood, with parents or friends, go hiking. Different types of outdoorsy, on horseback, rafting down the mountain rivers, rises to the top. hiking is a super puper!!!:)

I'm from Russia, from Siberia. In our area we have high mountains, the highest point of 4506 m, Belukha Mountain ( info about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belukha_Mountain ), because of it with childhood, with parents or friends, go hiking. Different types of outdoorsy, on horseback, rafting down the mountain rivers, rises to the top. hiking is a super puper!!!:)

Nice mountain! Hiking in Russia sounds great, maybe someday.

We had a relaxing adventure on Big Wheeling Creek a couple of summers ago. Planning to do it again this year. This section of the creek runs through a few miles of completely uninhabited area. No roads, no houses, no people. Surprisingly, nobody tubes, kayaks or canoes this area. Oh well, all for us!

Photos: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.88751442450.81761.553697450&l=1b6c63d4ae

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You are all so inspiring! I actually did my first ever "mountain" hike over the last weekend, up the Appalachian mountains. It wasn't extreme by any means (there were man-made trails for much of the trip), but it nonetheless gave me serious motivation to get out and try it again on a bigger level. Any recommendations for a beginner challenge in the midwest?

For camping I'm blessed to live near such a beautiful part of the country. If you've never been to the Appalachian mountains they are simply stunning. There are lots of great places to camp (state parks, county parks, and rogue sites, too).

• 1 month later...

Did my first 10+ mile solo dayhike in over 15 years. Wasn't even all that tired, just a tad sore in the sciatic, which was gone in the morning--but that's what hiking almost 32 miles in a week will get you. It'll probably go smoother next time when I actually bring food. Ha, ha!

Is everybody getting out there? How did that Muir hike go?

Baby Herc

Edited by Baby Hercules

Among the woods, waters & winds is where I thrive ... My research, work, waking hours, professional & personal time is in the elements ... I do My workouts outside, weather permitting ...

You are one lucky son of a gun, Tribe. Post pics of your wilderness or give us your website. Are you a smoke jumper?

Baby Herc

I am not a Smoke Jumper ( Squad Boss Trainee on a 5 person Initial Attack Squad ) ... I recently returned to university & am now attending grad school ... I still work for the US Forest Service in the summers except this year ... I am currently in NY but will be returning to Oregon this Fall ... ...

I will post some pics soon ... Sadly, I rarely take pictures ... ...

I am fortunate to have been literally face to face with a Mountain Lion in Colorado ... An amazing experience ... ... Long story short ... My first fire season was in Colorado ( Pike NF ) ... For many months ( Exploring & on local fires ), we came across Mountain Lion scat & tracks ... During some days off, myself & another would seek out the Lion or its den, from a distance because we did not want to disturb the Lion ... One random day towards dusk, I was walking back to the bunkhouse ( the Fire Crew was stationed in the middle of the national forest ) & rounded a bend on the two track trail & there She was, 4 feet away ... Both of us startled, but either of us did not move ... We stood there for a minute or so before She walked off ... Once in a lifetime ... I have since seen many scat, tracks & have heard the calls, but have not seen another since ... ... ...

Wow, how cool to see a mountain lion! A friend and I visited Olympic National Park last summer and wanted to see one so bad that we had ourselves "seeing" them everywhere. Two marmots sunbathing together, a deer, etc...

Sah-weet! Big kitties! I've only seen pugmarks, but they were huge. Story here: http://allthoughtswork.wordpress.com/2009/03/07/deschutes-river-playdate-3-07-09/ I felt that prickly sensation at the back of my neck a couple different times, too, the one you get when you sense you are being watched, but I never saw the one who was watchin' me. Bears I've been close enough to pet. They are wonderful animals and not at all the monsters people think they are.

Tribe, have you ever manned a lookout? I recently read "Fire Season," by Philip Connors. http://www.amazon.com/Fire-Season-Field-Wilderness-Lookout/dp/0061859362 He was in the second-highest lookout in the Gila Wilderness in New Mexico for many seasons. His writing makes you suddenly wish you weren't in front of a computer but outdoors, steeped in the smells of pine and granite. I envy the hell out of you being in Colorado.

Speaking of Pike, I was there, literally in the forest, when the famous Hayman Fire broke out in 2002. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayman_Fire There were a couple other smokes on the horizon at the same time and I had to haul ass out of the area where I was four-wheeling and bushwhacking because they would have socked me in. The cloud rose behind me and spread out in the sky like the biggest cumulonimbus in the world. Denver was heavy with smoke for several weeks and the sunlight was turned a weird yellowish shade in the middle of the day, like the off-color from fluorescent lights. Sunsets were orange for a long time--not that they aren't incredible all the time there, anyway. :) The smell was thick but I loved it, actually opened my windows so my furniture would smell like wood smoke for as long as possible. My friends thought I was nuts. I moved to Portland, Oregon, in 2005 and never made it back to the Hayman area to check out the burn zone. I probably wouldn't have, anyway, because I distrust mudslides and landslides but I've seen a couple burns afterwards. I toured the aftermath of the big one in Great Sand Dunes National Monument with the resident geologist who was mapping it. What a tedious job that guy has.

Closest I ever got to flames was a sobering moment. I was stuck in gridlock traffic on I-70, bumper to bumper with no shoulder, no where to run, no where to hide. There was a fire literally right on the hill next to the highway, about five hundred feet away and a hundred and fifty feet up. I was sitting in my truck cab and watching 70-foot Lodgepoles light up in seconds like Jersey torches. It was June and drier than an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting out there. Fire tornadoes were whipping up into the evening sky every few seconds. I downshifted into four low in case the wind shifted and I had to do something about it quickly. I had a few more options than the low-riding cars around me but I still wouldn't have made it very far--you've seen I-70. Crazy thing was, the whole time they kept telling us not to worry, that the wind was pushing it away from us. But I was watching those trees and counting. I was counting how long it took for the flames to reach the next tree closer to me and the next. Moving away, my ass: in less than an hour, it would be melting the paint off my hood. Turns out, I was right: they called in a team to cut a line shortly after we passed by that area.

Now I'm up in the big mud puddle of the Pacific Northwest. Not as much fire but not as much lightning or thunder, either. I miss all three. (sniff!)

Baby Herc

Never manned a lookout but certainly hauled gear & supplies to many ...

The acreage from the infamous Hayman Fire was literally across the road from Our bunkhouse ... My Ranger District as had a large percentage of the Fire ... I arrived on the Pike in 2003 ... Needless to say, many folks around the area were not happy with the Forest Service ... My introduction to Fire also included public relations ( I Am not so good at that ) ... ...

I Loved CO ... But, I didn't like the general pop or attitude ... I found the Pac West people more to My liking ... You do have to give up on " better " weather though ... I have to all the lower 48 & still haven't found the perfect place ... I refrain ... The perfect place is among the flora & fauna ... Far enough away from civ but close enough for travel to get basic supplies when needed ... ...

& Bears ... Not scary @ all ... I found a stampeding herd of buffalo to be the scariest ... & not so scary but amusing ... Getting head butted by a Mountain Goat in Glacier NP ... He was playing around but kept head butting Me every time I turned around ... ... ...