Now that Osama is dead....

If *any* of those are your editor you are fighting the battle that time forgot. Almost everyone on some kind of unix has a GUI and access to nicer tools. For the sysadmin on some clunker box from the past who needs to edit a few lines in a file ne is so modern and friendly nobody would even bother having a debate.

This might be slightly off topic, but... I use emacs daily for work, if there is a nicer tool that can do all the things emacs can I would like to hear about it . I also use vi extensively whenever I have to edit something over ssh, which is also more or less daily. GUIs are overrated.

There has been quite a lot of outrage in the UK - admittedly from the usual suspects: Yasmin Alibhai-Brown, the Archbishop of Canterbury - about whether OBL was assassinated, had already surrendered when shot etc and whether OBL should have been taken prisoner.

I think it was the right decision as can you imagine the bloobath and hostage situations that would ensue as his followers would try to ensure his release... How many more Daniel Pearl's, Nick Berg or Ken Bigley's would there have been if OBL was held in custody?

Also his death was instant rather than deciding whether to be incinerated or jump from 100 floors up. I doubt many of the Americans here would of followed the 7/7 attacks in London too closely, especially six years on, but the inquests were concluded just 48 hours ago and again OBL's death was much cleaner and quicker than slowly bleeding to death in some hot, dark and acrid tunnel.

This might be slightly off topic, but... I use emacs daily for work, if there is a nicer tool that can do all the things emacs can I would like to hear about it . I also use vi extensively whenever I have to edit something over ssh, which is also more or less daily. GUIs are overrated.

No love for vim?