Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Stephanie's Figure Journal
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:05 am 
Rabbit

Hey friends - I'm currently on the train to Maine to spend the weekend with my family. This morning I got up bright and early and trained legs. Leg days have been brutally awesome, Joe actually suggested we go down to one leg day a week for now instead of two and really kill it. I'm fine with that. Last week I did hard legs on Monday and again on Friday...couldn't walk normal for two days!

Here's my WO this morning:

BB squats 65p - 12r x4 (working on slowly adding more weight as I perfect the form)

Leg Extensions 75p - 10r x2, 90p - 10r, 75p - 10 rep (wow totally fried my quads!)

(Super Set)
DB Splits 15p - 10r x4
DB SLDL 20p - 10r x4

Hack Squats 60p - 10r x4/ calves inbetween each set 15r (this was brutal for me, for the first time in awhile I felt like I wanted to puke...love it!

As far as my diet goes, I've been talking to Jason of Committed Fitness (all the way in Australia...gotta love social networking) and he's really helped teach me the science and importance behind my nutrition. And the best part is that he's just as dedicated to helping me compete as a vegan as I am.

The diet is a little more regimented then what I'm used to but I feel like I need that.

I mentioned on here the struggles I'm going through with my dad being ill and the toll it's had on me emotionally. Through this process I've been learning so much about myself is really remarkable.

I've had really low days where I just don't want to go to the gym. I want to eat sugary carby things that I somehow in my mind think will make me feel better or somehow make it all go away and just curl up in bed. Coming to terms with being an emotional eater I think has helped me this week in realizing that I need to re-focus that energy into something more positive. Because eating that way, skipping workouts; only make me feel worse.

I left the gym this morning feeling so amazing that it's just hard to put into words. Training for this competition at the same time dealing with my dads battle with terminal cancer has kind of turned into something bigger then just a figure competition for me. I'm really learning a lot about myself, what I can handle and how I overcome those things.

These next six months I have no doubt will be an incredible journey for me and today I'm just feeling so inspired to really go hard and when things get tough, to go even harder.

It feels good knowing how proud of me my dad is that I'm even living this lifestyle and training like I do. I pray every day that he can be there to see me compete and see the results of how hard I've worked. It's something I look forward to every day.

But enough of what sappy stuff is in my head...tomorrow I'm planning on paying for the day to use the Y near my parents, I don't want to miss another day and I really need to focus on consistency.

Tomorrow is Bi's/Tri's and cardio. My bag is packed full of vega and lots of food, pretty sure the food in my bag take up more space then both gym clothes and clothes for the weekend!

I'm ready for whatevers next. Bring it!

XO,
Steph

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Stephani ... 1450376118
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/stephanieberard

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:24 am 
Elephant

I'll keep you family in my thoughts. Thanks for being so open and helping others like me have someone to relate to. Train hard friend and do your thing. We're with ya ;)

Joelk wrote:
But as long as people stay away from our cooler bags with our meals and not ask silly questions, we're all pretty tame

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:04 pm 
Manatee

So sorry to hear about your dad. My thoughts are with all of you.
Great training log. Looks like you're doing great so far! Hope you're able to get in some good training this weekend!

Follow Me on Twitter!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:08 pm 
Site Admin

Hugs as always. Thanks for keeping in touch since we met in Boston too.

Good stuff.

Catch up soon.

Heading out on tour again....Have a great week!

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:19 pm 
Rabbit

Thank you everyone for all the warm thoughts! You guys rock!

Saturday I ventured into another Maine snow storm to the Y near my parents house for bis/tris and some cardio.

(super set)
DB Inc Curls 15p - 12r x3
DB Inc Skull Crushers 12p - 12r x3

(super set)
Dips on the bench 12r x3
Preacher curls 15p -12r x3

Rope Tri 35p - 12r x3
Rope Curls 30p -12r x3

After that I jumped on a treadmill I bumped the incline up to 8% and did a fast walk for a half hour until the gym closed.

I wanted to do the new routine that I had that included burpees between each set and really work hard but I brought my baby sister with the gym so I was half keeping an eye on her.

She's 12, and very overweight (as are my two other sisters and little brother unfortunately). Last time I was up she asked me if I could bring her to see a gym sometime...who am I to say no to that! So she was very excited when I told her we were going to the Y. Give kids the access to be active and healthy and they WILL do it! I showed her how to use the elliptical and the treadmill...she looked so giddy with her little ipod jamming away.

So though my workout wasn't crazy intense, it was still a good one and nice to spend some time with my little sister.

Today was a rest day and spent most of my day traveling home from Maine. Every time I go up, it becomes harder to come home. :(

I came home and did all my prep work which I feel really great about! I haven't been doing so well with that lately so I felt so accomplished to get it all done! Everything was chopped, weighed and portioned for all 7 of my meals for the next three days. YAY me...and all without a kitchen! double score!

Well I'm off to go unwind for the night and chug more water...back to the daily grind tomorrow!

Happy Super Bowl Sunday all

xo
steph

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:30 am 
Elephant

StephanieBerard wrote:
I wanted to do the new routine that I had that included burpees between each set and really work hard but I brought my baby sister with the gym so I was half keeping an eye on her.

She's 12, and very overweight (as are my two other sisters and little brother unfortunately). Last time I was up she asked me if I could bring her to see a gym sometime...who am I to say no to that! So she was very excited when I told her we were going to the Y. Give kids the access to be active and healthy and they WILL do it! I showed her how to use the elliptical and the treadmill...she looked so giddy with her little ipod jamming away.

So though my workout wasn't crazy intense, it was still a good one and nice to spend some time with my little sister.

Good for you!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:05 am 
Rabbit

Hi Stephanie! I'm new to this site and also new to competing. I'm aiming to do my first show late summer/early fall. Right now I'm trying to get my diet/training plan ironed out and I'm aiming to officially start as of March 1st. A few weeks ago you mentioned that you felt like you had a much better understanding of what to eat/when to eat after talking with the Australian guy... if you don't mind, could you share with me what you've learned? (here or PM, whatever works for you!) You and I seem to be in a similar position: access to help with the training end, but no help on the diet front!

Also, thanks for the PB tip! I LOVE PB!!! lol, I can eat a whole container in one sitting and that is most definitely not going to fly during contest prep!

One other question: what type/flavor of Vega are you using? I hear so many good things about Vega protein products but the one little trial packet I had did not sit well with my taste buds. I'm hoping it was just the flavor and that there's still hope for Vega and I... I know they make a quality product!

And finally, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. Stay strong and focus on the iron! :) :)

Oh wait, one more thing... I'm so impressed that you can keep it together without a kitchen!!! YOU ROCK!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:52 am 
Site Admin

Nice to see you figure girls connect!

Awesome stuff!

Hope training goes well for both of you! Steph had a super funny birthday cake photo I saw last week. Awesome! That's how competitors roll!

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:43 pm 
Rabbit

Hi Steph just wanted to say hope all is going well with your training and with your family! :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:17 am 
Site Admin

Sup girl?

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:25 pm 
Rabbit

WOW!!!! I'm almost embarrassed that it's been so long since I've last posted in my journal!

@luvpitbulls hi and thank you so much for stopping by. I hope you're going strong with your training!!

I'll be honest, I disappeared because things got a little difficult personally. I was hoping to come back and share some great news, but my good news turned into more bad news :(

Since I've been fairly open on this forum I feel okay sharing with you what's been going on. Mid March I surprisingly found out I was pregnant. And by surprise I mean, I was on birth control and of course with training for a competition, was in now way planning to extend our family at this time. We were excited though, even with it not being at the time we planned. It was also a nice break and a joy to think about considering the stress of my dads condition (which I'm happy to say he's doing very well right now considering).

I was able to continue on with my training for the first few weeks after I found out I was pregnant, it's always been a goal of mine to continue my fitness as much as possible for my health and of course the health of the baby. After a few weeks though I got very sick, and then began having complications. In the end I did end up losing the pregnancy a little over a week ago.

Needless to say it's been an emotional roller coaster the last month and a half and I've fallen very behind on my training. Well honestly it's been pretty non-existent.

So long story short...that's why I disappeared. It's a little typical of myself to retreat when things get overwhelming tough.

Now that I've had some time to heal emotionally I've had to come up with a new game plan as far as my fitness goals. At this point, I think it's fair to say that I won't be ready to compete in July so my plan now is to focus on bringing down my bodyfat %. Then build lean muscle. I'm thinking by early next year I'll be ready to compete, or at least be in a much more comfortable place that I would feel I could physically be ready to compete.

@luvpitbulls to answer your question about Vega, I use the vanilla flavor (though I'm still crossing my fingers for chocolate). It doesn't blend very well in smoothies, but I actually don't mind the taste mixed simply with water. I use it chug it right down and it's a smooth taste.

Oh and yes, as Robert mentioned I did celebrate my birthday back in February in true competitor fashion, I don't know how to post pictures here, but I enjoyed a giant salad complete with candles as my birthday cake ;) Sadly no real cake for me.

Aside from my bummer news, I do hope everyone has been focused, driven and working every day these last few months towards their goals!

I'm hoping that you'll see a little more of me around here now :)

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:22 am 
Gorilla

Hi Stephanie,

I also abandoned this forum for a long time, so this is the first time I've read any of your posts, but I just wanted to say that I am sorry for your loss. And that you must be a very strong person to share it with us. Good luck with getting back into your training routine. All it takes is a few days in a row, and then boom, you're back in the saddle! Take Care!

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:21 pm 
Stegosaurus

Very sorry to hear about your loss. Glad you came back and I look forward to reading your journal!