Question about punching bag gloves

Hello all, I'm new here, so I hope I posted this in the correct forum

I have a question about punching bag gloves:

I've recently decided to get into boxing, so today I purchased a 30 kg punching bag.

I was also looking for gloves to use while training, but all of the heavier gloves they had available in the store had a leather exterior. The only non-leather gloves they had where lighter, gel padded gloves. The man responsible for the boxing equipment in the store assured me these would be sufficient for a beginner, so I purchased these as well:

http://www.domyos-fitness.com/EN/dc-aero-gloves-21193613/

The wrists are quite well protected, the tape at the bottom wraps around 2 to 3 times and the wrist feels well supported. It's mainly for the knuckles that I wonder if it gives sufficient protection against injury when hitting the bag; the gel padding is about 1.2 cm thick.

Do any of you have any experience with these type of gloves? Are these sufficient for a beginner that doesn't hit very hard yet, or should I already wear a heavier type of glove with wrappings underneath?

Thanks for any advice on this,

kind regards,

Maarten

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Yeah I agree with the 16oz or even 14oz idea, I have ripped through many of pairs of gloves wasting on a heavy bag. The smaller gloves "bag gloves" used to make my knucles bleed after 30 mins of use! So do the 14 & 16 oz gloves but not till at least an hour of heavy hitting. And remember, most of the time you get what you pay for.