Adena gets strong!

Adena

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I haven't done those in a long time, MaryStella. You must've been reading my log from a long time ago! No momentum situps are pretty much what they sound like. You start from the position of laying on your back with your legs stretched straight out. Then you sit up, ending with your knees still straight and legs still on the ground. They're easier to do without having someone hold onto your feet, but they're a little more difficult in other ways.

I definitely had a fun weekend in the gym.

Deadlift Day

Deadlift:

1x5x135

1x5x165

1x5x190

1x5x215

Rack Pulls (from about knee level):

3x2x245

Farmer's Walks:

3x90

Assisted Wide Grip Pull-Ups:

1x8

1x7

1x6

This time I was using a different assistance machine, and it said I was using 48 lb of counterbalancing weight. See what I mean about the other machine being inaccurate?

Plate Pinches (two 5lb plates pinched together):

3 sets until failure for each hand

Bench Day

Bench Press:

1x5x45

1x5x75

1x5x85

1x6x95

1x7x90

1x8x85

1x10x80

1x11x75

1x11x70

BOR:

3x8x95

Push-Ups:

1x14

1x10

1x7

Tricep Extensions:

1x10x20

2x12x25

Also ran intervals on my rest day before these two day strength sessions, then ran at a steady pace on a treadmill yesterday for 30 minutes because it was raining.

Tonight I'm going to do overhead presses, yes! Then I think light deadlift assistance. I kind of mixed up the order of things last week, but I'm intending to do Overhead Press Day, Squat Day, rest day, Bench Day, Deadlift Day, two rest days. Usually I do cardio on my rest days, but not always.

OHP Day

SOHP:

1x3x45

1x3x50

1x3x55

1x4x65

Press Starts:

3x3x70

True to my word, I'm mixing things up. I did deadlift assistance exercises after my heavy overhead press work.

Good Mornings:

1x12x95

2x12x105

Assisted Wide Grip Pull-Ups (with supposedly 54 lb of assitance):

1x14

1x7

1x5

Farmer's Walks:

3x90

Plate Pinches (with two 5lb plates between thumb and fingers):

3 sets to failure for each hand

Squat Day

Foam rolling and stretching for about ten minutes

Parallel Squats:

1x3x140

1x3x160

1x3x180

Front Squats:

5x3x95

Then I did my light bench assistance.

BOR:

2x10x95

1x9x95

Push-Ups:

1x20

1x18

1x16

Wow, those are way easier when I'm not all tuckered out from benching.

Tricep Extensions:

3x12x30

I think these rather minor changes are breathing new life into my routine. It was just what I needed!

Bench Day

Bench Press:

1x3x45

1x3x80

1x3x90

1x4x105

Lunges with 45 lb plate held overhead:

3 sets

Parallel Squats:

3x10x95

I just couldn't really think of anything better for light leg work. I absolutely hate leg press and leg curls, and I don't feel like they help out anyway. So I figured squatting light would be about right.

Deadlift Day

Deadlift:

1x3x135

1x3x180

1x3x205

1x3x230

Rack Pulls:

3x3x245

Dips (BW = 145):

2x8

1x6

Assisted Chin-Ups:

1x10

1x8

1x5

Now is the week where I do a set of five, a set of three, and a set of one or however much I can muster.

Overhead Press Day

SOHP:

1x5x45

1x5x55

1x3x60

1x4x65

Push Press:

3x3x70

These were pretty wobbly, which made things fun.

Good Mornings:

3x12x105

Farmer's Walks:

3x90

I couldn't make it nearly as far as usual, which I think may be due to my deadlift day being too close to my back assistance day. I might have to rethink how I'm doing my assistance yet AGAIN.

Plate Pinches with two 5lb plates:

3 sets until I dropped them

Tonight is Squat Day, so I'm looking forward to that. I don't really expect to do well. Hopefully I'll just make it through one rep of my 95%.

Squat Day

About ten minutes of foam rolling and stretching.

Parallel Squat:

1x5x45

1x5x135

1x5x150

1x3x170

1x2x190

Front Squats just to practice form:

3x3x95

BOR:

1x12x95

1x10x95

1x8x95

Push-Ups:

1x20

1x15

1x8

Tricep Extensions:

3x12x30

Bench Day

Bench Press:

1x5x45

1x5x85

1x3x100

1x3x110 without a spotter! Yes!

Parallel Squats:

3x12x95

3x16 lunges (8 each leg)

My husband and I are attempting to become urban farmers, but we're starting small (kinda). We have four 4x8 raised beds for vegetables, and a compost bin going at the moment. We're hoping to install a rain barrel so we don't have to pay a huge water bill, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Everything we're doing is organic. Hopefully we'll end up saving some money eventually. This is the first year of veggie gardening for us though, so we're mentally prepared to lose some of our crop due to not really knowing what we're doing yet. But so far it's fun. We also have several berry bushes planted, but they usually don't produce the first year. They take a couple years to really get going. We also have a ton of strawberry plants, but then, we can eat a ton of strawberries. I spend a lot of this weekend watering the gardens and hanging out in our backyard oasis with the dogs, so I didn't make it to the gym for my Deadlift Day. I'll get that done tonight, and then do cardio outside and deloading for the rest of the week.

I'm still intending to start my vegan bakery, but at the moment, I'm way too busy. I did get a couple of ingredient labels ready and saved on our computer, and I have a good amount of packaging to get started, so I'm almost ready. I just need to set aside one evening during the week to bake over at the commercial kitchen I use, and then deliver the stuff. I'm thinking Thursday nights are looking good for baking, and maybe Friday for delivering. That way my stuff can sell first thing in the morning on Saturdays.

Deadlift Day

Foam rolling and stretching for about ten minutes.

Deadlift:

1x5x135

1x5x190

1x3x215

1x1x240

Rack Pulls:

3x1x255

Dips (BW=146):

1x8

1x7

1x5

Assisted Pull-Ups (42 lb counterbalancing weight):

1x10

1x8

1x5

All of the tomatoes and most of the bell peppers in our garden died! Oh well, it's a learning experience. At least we still have all the berry bushes, strawberries, sugar snap peas, snow peas, green beans, cabbage, pac choi, kale, brocolli, carrots, radishes, yellow onions, shallots, Hungarian sweet peppers, jalapenos, cold-climate kiwis (for real!), stevia, chamomile, lavender, parsley, fennel, garlic, and some other random herbs that are doing just fine. Ok, I'm not so sad anymore! It's all a learning experience. In the future, we'll leave our tomato and pepper plants indoors until we're absolutely sure it's going to stay well above freezing overnight and not transplant them into the ground until at least May, just to be safe. Perhaps June.

Chewy, I estimated my 1RM as 255 this month, even though I was worried it was a little high. Might not be, though. I rack pulled 255 without much of a problem. I'm not totally sure what my actual 1RM is currently, though. Bodyweight is still 146.

MaryStella, thanks! I thought my dips were kinda wimpy, actually!

Lobster, maybe you can have a garden, too. Did you end up relocating to California yet? Also, if you're in an apartment right now, container gardening is the way to go. There's nothing wrong with starting with a window sill full of herbs, and learning from that.

I've been in California since Oct - definitely loved my snow-less winter. We have a couple herbs in a window box. I'd like to get some tomatoes going or something in a container on our balcony, but it doesn't get much sun so I'm worried that would be a giant flop. I should do some reading and figure out what would do best. We get some early morning light but that's about it. Which is nice if you want to sit outside in the cool shade, not so nice for growing things.

And everyone is right, your numbers are super impressive!

Aww, gee, thanks! Some tomato varieties do well in partial shade, actually. May as well try it, a packet of seeds is pretty cheap! We get ours from High Mowing Organic Seed Company. Also got some stuff from Raintree Nursery so we didn't have to start everything from seed this year. They have a catalog with some detail regarding growing conditions you need for different varieties.

http://www.raintreenursery.com/

http://www.highmowingseeds.com/

Thanks goob! I've just finished my Deload Week where um.....I didn't even go to the gym. I just helped my husband with the garden all week and spent a nice Mother's Day with his mother and mine. The garden looks pretty good, now. My husband just fertilized it with his extra special secret fertilizer.

Anyway, I'll be heading to the gym tonight to start a new four week cycle! Overhead press, here I come!

Kinda funny nobody asked about my husband's secret fertilizer. He peed in a bucket and diluted it with water. Not as gross as you might have been thinking. Maybe. What's funny is everything shot way up in the week following the application of said fertilizer. He's pretty proud of himself.

Aaaaaanyway, here's what I accomplished last week:

Overhead Press Day

Bodyweight: 144

Assumed 1RM: 75

Military Press:

1x5x50

1x5x55

1x6x65

Push Press:

3x5x70

Good Morning:

1x12x105

2x12x115

Farmer's Walks:

3x90

Plate Pinches:

3 sets each hand, to failure

Squat Day

Assumed 1RM: 205

Foam rolling for about ten minutes

Parallel Squat:

1x5x45

1x5x135

1x5x155

1x7x175

Oly Squat:

3x5x135

BOR:

1x12x95

1x10x95

1x8x95

Push-Ups:

1x16

1x12

1x8

Foam rolling for about ten more minutes

Bench Day

Bench Press:

1x5x45

1x5x80

1x5x90

1x7x100

Light Parallel Squats:

3x12x105

Lunges with 45 lb plate held overhead

4x12 steps

Deadlift Day

Deadlift:

Assumed 1RM: 260

1x5x135

1x5x170

1x5x195

1x5x220

Rack Pulls:

3x1x255

Dips:

2x8

1x6

Chin-Ups:

3 sets of about 1 1/2 chins (wanted to see what I could do without assistance....kind of pathetic, actually.)

Kinda funny nobody asked about my husband's secret fertilizer. He peed in a bucket and diluted it with water. Not as gross as you might have been thinking. Maybe. What's funny is everything shot way up in the week following the application of said fertilizer. He's pretty proud of himself.

He has magic urine evidently!

Overhead Press Day

Foam rolling for about ten minutes, then...

SOHP:

1x3x55

1x3x60

1x4x70

Push Press:

3x3x75

Farmer's Walks:

3x90lb in each hand

Plate Pinches with two 5lb plates:

3 sets to failure, each hand

Good Mornings:

3x12x115

Squat Day

Parallel Squat:

1x3x45

1x3x145

1x3x165

1x3x185

A2G Squats:

1x5x155

2x4x155

BOR:

1x12x95

1x9x95

1x6x95

Push-Ups:

1x20

1x16

1x10

Tricep Extensions:

2x12x30

1x8x30

Bench Day

Bench Press:

1x3x45

1x3x85

1x3x95

1x4x110

I'm very happy my bench is finally starting to show some miniscule progress! Yeah!

Light Parallel Squats:

3x12x115

3 sets, about 12 steps

So for some reason, the last week or two has been kicking my butt. I'm not exactly sure why. I felt like my knee was a bit sore in a bad way after my heavy bench/light leg assistance day, so I skipped my deadlift day on Saturday. It was hurting me to walk up and down the stairs, but by the middle of the day on Sunday it felt completely fine. I think I'll start up where I left off tonight, and do only three days of lifting this week, or maybe just lift every other day until I complete this cycle, just to give myself a little more recovery time. If you can't tell, I've been trying to be a little more diligent about foam rolling, which should help recovery. I'm wondering if doing the light assistance on a different day is too much for me, or if I'm just not used to it yet. I'll keep doing it for a little longer, because I think it's a little early to tell.

In other news, our garden seems to be doing well. Our compost still does not smell at all, and the strawberry plants are blossoming. We're having lots of fun watching veggies and berry bushes take off, and have hardly had to weed. Or water. It's been pretty rainy this spring. We did set up a rain barrel to take advantage of it. It's hooked up to our drainpipe, so it fills up in about one or two rain showers. Yay for watering our garden for free!

Yeah, I felt fine in less than 48 hours so I figured I didn't do anything too serious to my knee. I think you're probably right that it's the lunges, I tend to wobble around and have terrible balance while doing them for some reason, but my squat form is really good so I don't think that would have done anything to it. I've been trying to just slow down when I do lunges so I don't lose my balance but it's still not helping.

I didn't lift that much yet this week, but I'll post what I did a little later.

• 2 weeks later...

OK! Back to business. I decided to redo the last cycle's weights since I missed part of it.

Overhead Press Day

SOHP:

1x5x45

1x5x50

1x5x55

1x5x65

Push Press:

3x3x75

Overhead Shrugs:

1x8x65

2x10x65

Dips: