Protein powder comparative amino acid analysis

All topics relating to health, diet, nutrition programs and any questions you might have about general health.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

chrisjs
Elephant

Re: Protein powder comparative amino acid analysis

#166 Postby chrisjs » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:19 pm

PdevC wrote:Why is everyone recommending True Protein? Their product pricing is great, but that doesnt matter because their shipping is ridiculous. A 1 pound 50% rice, 50% gemma powder cost me $5.03 with a promotional code, ground shipping? $10. No thanks.
If you know of a place with a better total price, why don't you share with the class?

I doubt most of their customers order a single pound at a time. 1 pound might cost $10 to ship, but 10 lbs cost around $16.

Even with your ridiculous example they're cheaper than GNC who want $16.99 for a pound of soy protein.

PdevC
Rabbit

#167 Postby PdevC » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:27 pm

chrisjs wrote:
PdevC wrote:Why is everyone recommending True Protein? Their product pricing is great, but that doesnt matter because their shipping is ridiculous. A 1 pound 50% rice, 50% gemma powder cost me $5.03 with a promotional code, ground shipping? $10. No thanks.
If you know of a place with a better total price, why don't you share with the class?

I doubt most of their customers order a single pound at a time. 1 pound might cost $10 to ship, but 10 lbs cost around $16.

Even with your ridiculous example they're cheaper than GNC who want $16.99 for a pound of soy protein.

You're right, it's just I wanted to try the powder before I bought it on a large scale. Don't want to have to choke down 10 pounds of something I find disgusting. Don't have a blender or this would be less of a concern, I'm planning on mixing in water or unsweetened vanilla almond milk.

Fallen_Horse
Elephant

#168 Postby Fallen_Horse » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:02 pm

PdevC wrote:Don't have a blender or this would be less of a concern, I'm planning on mixing in water or unsweetened vanilla almond milk.

Good luck! It's hard enough to eat protein smoothies with loads of fruit in them....
Learning how to be compassionate, gain wisdom, and love life.

PdevC
Rabbit

#169 Postby PdevC » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:17 pm

Fallen_Horse wrote:
PdevC wrote:Don't have a blender or this would be less of a concern, I'm planning on mixing in water or unsweetened vanilla almond milk.

Good luck! It's hard enough to eat protein smoothies with loads of fruit in them....
Really? What kind do you use? Pea? I've heard pea protein tastes pretty bad, but what could be bad about rice protein? People eat gluten straight as 'seitan' or 'mock duck meat'.

SAR
Rabbit

#170 Postby SAR » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:52 pm

Does anyone here take MAP Master Amino Acid Tablets? What are your thoughts on it?

Here's the website: http://www.masteraminoacidpattern.com/char/index.php
Attachments
label.jpg
label.jpg (66.51 KiB) Viewed 2630 times
Sarah :)

chrisjs
Elephant

#171 Postby chrisjs » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:04 pm

Never heard of this MAP stuff before but it seems gimmicky. I wonder how many times they can mention that patent number on a single page.

I believe that straight amino acids are a suitable substitute for supplementing whole proteins, but I'm curious how this compares simply to BCAAs or EAAs. The abstracts for those references are pure junk, also curiously published by the same people.

I especially like this FAIL:
8. Q: Are amino acids from animal or vegetable source?
Amino acids cannot be classified as either animal or vegetable. They are, simply, natural compounds.

Bonn1997
Rabbit

#172 Postby Bonn1997 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:22 pm

I'd be interested in how the amino acid profiles of different foods compare with these sources, especially nuts and beans. What's better, for example, having a 20 grams of hemp or pea protein powder or eating beans or almonds?

chrisjs
Elephant

Re: Re: Protein powder comparative amino acid analysis

#173 Postby chrisjs » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:50 pm

Bonn1997 wrote:I'd be interested in how the amino acid profiles of different foods compare with these sources, especially nuts and beans. What's better, for example, having a 20 grams of hemp or pea protein powder or eating beans or almonds?

You can look that up on nutritiondata.com.

Bonn1997
Rabbit

Re: Re: Protein powder comparative amino acid analysis

#174 Postby Bonn1997 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:21 am

chrisjs wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:I'd be interested in how the amino acid profiles of different foods compare with these sources, especially nuts and beans. What's better, for example, having a 20 grams of hemp or pea protein powder or eating beans or almonds?

You can look that up on nutritiondata.com.

Wow; thanks! That will keep me busy for a while. A couple of questions:
Am I reading this right that nuts are basically just a mediocre source of protein? I had always heard that they were a very good source.
Is the amino acid profile much better for raw than for frozen spinach? It looks that way. Freezing it is bad for the amino acids? What about bagged baby spinach?

chewybaws
Elephant

#175 Postby chewybaws » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:13 am

Seeds seem to have a better amino profile;

Pumpkin seeds

Flaxseed

Zenidrawde
Finch

#176 Postby Zenidrawde » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:32 pm

OMG! FANTASTIC POST. The greatest find was of www.trueprotein.com !! I totally flipped when I saw it. So excited now to order Gemma protein! And as for hemp's greater amounts of Tryptophan, I'm going to use hemp milk to mix it.. :D.. What a great website!!!!

Bonn1997
Rabbit

#177 Postby Bonn1997 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:52 pm

Does the amino acid score indicate how "complete" the protein is? If so, am I understanding it right that many, many vegan proteins are more complete than ground beef? I guess I assumed meats were more complete.

Fallen_Horse
Elephant

#178 Postby Fallen_Horse » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:44 pm

Learning how to be compassionate, gain wisdom, and love life.

M_onkeyman
Rabbit

#179 Postby M_onkeyman » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:54 pm

There really should be a Quinoa protein, it is complete and has a lot of nutrients.

Btw, is there a True Protein discount code from anyone on this forum? It'd be cool if we could promote this forum by using the same code for all orders

gnrice
Finch

#180 Postby gnrice » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:27 pm

Check out Growing Naturals whole grain brown rice protein. Organic, Non-GMO, vegan

Return to “Health & Nutrition Programs”