I am struggling to get cuts in my legs- any thoughts

OK, I am cut and lean everywhere but my legs--always my absolute worst body part---, I started lifting about 4 months ago, seriously- and most of my gym time is my legs with a variation on a theme. I have been unable to lunge with anything heavy due to years of running and a tendency to shear on my right knee, and I am going for the everyday, ;ess weights high rteps and have just started working with heavier weights and feeling more of the fatigue. I also needed to build up those knees from 28 years of running so I could. ( I marathoned and did 1/2's and have replaced my cardio addiction with a love/ hate relationship with teh stairmill, so cardio isn't my problem, usually). Its protein and life ( lots of loose skin it seems, too--and finally seeing the last of the cellulite go--there is still some. I need help with loose skin on my thighs and I need them CUT. I see a win or a place in Oct and July is practice ( but I still want to place)- any help is help. The grainy photos were two weeks ago with an iphone and I can already see progress in my legs and the purple competition suit was June 9, 2011. I am now off to read the "diet and cut" portion as I KNOW that is key and crucial if I am going to see any results with these bless'ed thighs (as opposed to damn thighs) that the good Lord gave me. Thanks,

Amy

Well I am not a 'figure expert' but your legs look quite strong! If you are trying to lean them out, then I would suggest working them less, not more, in order to shrink the muscle. If you are trying to increase the definition, then as far as I know you just have to diet. You seem to be at a low bodyfat already though, so I'm not sure how much dieting you can reasonably do!

Thanks for the reply. Ya, cutting and bulking....I figue if they won't slim as quick...I may as well get "cuts"....Trust me, I have been at this "blessed" ( as opposed to DAMN) thigh thing for YEARS...only this time, because I am NOT running and I switched from carbs to protein- I am seeing the difference. And quite lean...the trick at almost 50 is to not get so lean you look like a hardened old woman ( no body fat--and you end up w/ a face that looks manly and you look like you chain smoked Marlboro's for 15 years plus because its so taut--NOT at all attractive, I tell ya) ---so, part of that delicate balance. Keeping at it...and again, thanks.

• 2 months later...

Alright my dear, my two cents worth for you is this:

1) Don't fear the weights!!!! Hit 'em hard!! Bulking isn't something that is going to come easy, if that's what you're concerned with, even a little, STOP IT!!! If you want to bulk than go harder than you think you "can". Personal experience: I have within the last two months decided nothing is stopping me from getting REALLY defined quads, calves, hamstrings, and triceps! I mean NOTHING!!! I have upped my weights outrageously. And, guess what? I'm starting to see better definition!! I used to do walking lunges with a 10lb weight plate. Now, I'm carrying two 20 lb dumbbells I used to only use body weight for calves, now I've got 45 lb plates on EITHER side of the calf press!! and so on....

2) Muscles are torn up while you're working out, they're rebuilt when you rest. so... REST!

3) Diet, diet, diet.... They usually say it's 80% diet... try 90-95%!! It's imperative you are getting enough protein, amino acids, vitamins etc. If you're not sure what you're lacking I would seriously suggest looking into the Rainbow Light One a Day Prenatal vitamin.

4) Remember that quote from Einstein.... "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results" If you go to the gym 5 days a week, say three days are legs and two days are upper body. You go in do lunges, squats, leg press, leg extension and leg curls, in that order, with the same weights... you guessed it, nothing is changing!!! Even changing the order a little, tweaking the weight, sprinting in between sets... anything can really spark a HUGE change!!!!

5) Stay focused! You got this! Sometimes results don't come when we would like them to, but all in due time. If you can just hang in there, I PROMISE you will not be disappointed!!!!

6) I believe in you, and I'm positive there are at least a handful of people near you that support you too. Remember that,& the board! You're not alone.

*I can't see your pics for some reason, are they still up?

Keep it up! You are guaranteed to succeed!!!!

xxox

M