Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Most influential Books you've read
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:15 am 
Rabbit

"The God Delusion," by Richard Dawkins....

is certainly one of my most influential books, Dawkins writes with a lucid realism, for life free from the shackles of religious dogma.

Fallen_Horse wrote:
it seems that most of his points are against organized religion, for for atheism...

Clue is in the title of the book :wink:

Most atheists see themselves as realists - their atheism is a part of their willingness to square up to the world as it is and face it without recourse to superstition or comforting fictions about a life to come or a benevolent power looking after us.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:55 am 
Rabbit

For the "God Delusion" to be influential to someone I'd argue that it must have changed the path of their life. If you don't believe in religion and have never felt any kind of religious calling, what influence does reading it have? Surely it's just a warm feeling of confirmation, nothing more.

I read "Walden" shortly after I got my first proper job and had money to spend. It knocked me sideways into ascetism.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:26 pm 
Manatee

johnboy74 wrote:
"The God Delusion," by Richard Dawkins....

is certainly one of my most influential books, Dawkins writes with a lucid realism, for life free from the shackles of religious dogma.

Fallen_Horse wrote:
it seems that most of his points are against organized religion, for for atheism...

Clue is in the title of the book :wink:

I was reared an atheist so anything having to do with infidelity or exorcism movies have no effect on me. Although I will say there is an inverted cross on my blog but that's only for my amusement

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:50 am 
Gorilla

Not exactly a book, but worth reading
http://www.primitivism.com/abolition.htm
AND
http://www.primitivism.com/future-primitive.htm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:29 am 
Rabbit

''Resurrected gods'', about Leonardo da Vinci life.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:09 pm 
Stegosaurus

recently

Born to Run - by Chris McDougall - vegan scott jurek is featured in the book

It's not about the bike - by Lance Armstong

17 hours to glory - some stories are better than others in it.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:20 pm 
Rabbit

Might is right
Deceived Damned & Defiant
The Saga of the Volsungs
The Saga of the Jomsvikings
Havamal

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:46 pm 
Site Admin

Great List MaryStella!

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:12 am 
Finch

The Jungle by Upton Sinclair has probably done more to influence me than any other book. Not only my diet, but my attitude towards social injustice. For animals and humans as well.

Other books that have inspired me:
Hardcore Zen - Brad Warner
Sit Down and Shut Up - Brad warner
Awakening the Buddha Within - Lama Surya Das

(that's the short list, I read all the time, but I didn't want to fill up the board with me, me, me...)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:38 am 
Rabbit

Gonna have to stay the Satanic Bible as the most influential book. The belief that you are fully responsible for your actions and that constant pursuit of knowledge is something not to be frowned upon but held up in high regard agrees with me pretty well. I dont see the Satanic Bible as a religous tool but rather a self help guide for the unique who stand up for what they believe in! Which is pretty much every single person on here!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:27 am 
Finch

Devilbat wrote:
Gonna have to stay the Satanic Bible as the most influential book. The belief that you are fully responsible for your actions and that constant pursuit of knowledge is something not to be frowned upon but held up in high regard agrees with me pretty well. I dont see the Satanic Bible as a religous tool but rather a self help guide for the unique who stand up for what they believe in! Which is pretty much every single person on here!

It's really just a bastardized version of "Might Is Right." Parts of it are borderline plagiarism, but I don't suppose either author should care if they take themselves seriously. I don't subscribe to the tenants of "selfishness" that are in the book(s) myself. It's not really all about "me", even if I want it to be. Responsibility for your actions and the pursuit of knowledge do not require an inflated ego. I'm a Buddhist (or an atheist with allot of rituals if you like) and the foundation of my belief system is grounded in personal responsibility, the laws of cause and affect, and the constant pursuit of knowledge. Without ego.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:30 pm 
Rabbit

Ima check out the might is right asap! I believe in confidence within yourself,but among others I allow myself to be taught and criticized for the simple fact that I say to to myself " who the fuck are you to not hear this persons opinion on the matter?!"Then after I hear their argument I draw my own conclusion. I do believe Anton was a bighead, but I think he did it to achieve a sense of self, but ultimately he comes off being a conceded douche.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:37 pm 
Elephant

el_flaco wrote:
For the "God Delusion" to be influential to someone I'd argue that it must have changed the path of their life. If you don't believe in religion and have never felt any kind of religious calling, what influence does reading it have? Surely it's just a warm feeling of confirmation, nothing more.

I read "Walden" shortly after I got my first proper job and had money to spend. It knocked me sideways into ascetism.

Mostly agreed. The God Delusion was just the same tired argument over and over. Dawkins gives secularism a bad name.

However Walden is definitely the most epic piece on asceticism and transcendentalist thought that I have ever read. Perfect!

"I had three pieces of limestone on my desk, but I was terrified to find that they required to be dusted daily, when the furniture of my mind was all undusted still, and threw them out the window in disgust." - from Walden

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:12 pm 
Rabbit

If you read my list you will see "Might is right" is one of my favs. I've read it about 4 times and yes, I knew that the satanic bible is a rip off of Might is right. Might is right is anti christian but has nothing to do with satanism.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:46 am 
Rabbit

I read a ton of nonfiction books in many categories. The most influential to me were Super Rich by Russell Simmons and Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness by Robert Cheeke.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next