Trying to build some muscle without the gym!

Hi! Until thre months ago I hadn't attended any real physical activities for quite a long time, but then I began to do Muay Thai-classes. They are quite physicly demanding, but I got really hooked quite fast and I really do love the sport. Right now I do Muay Thai three times a week (5 hours totally). I like it so much it has really inspired me to begin living a healthier life overall and adopt a healthier diet et.c, I'm gonna go out running one day a week as well now when the weather is a little nicer. I want to get bigger and build some muscle, but what kind of diet should I been following if I want to build some muscle (and hopefully get rid of that little belly I managed to get during my one and and a half inactive year) with only martial arts and running as my primary workout? Got any ideas? I bought Robert Cheekes vegan bodybuilding-book, but I'm not quite sure if the "eat 8 times a day"-diet he speaks about is that healty unless you really hit the gym 5 days a week doing hardcore weight lifting? What do you think? Thanks for any feedback!!

//Per

Hi!

Many Dietitians recommend to eat small meals every few hours no matter what fitness level. They even recommend that to people who do no exercise at all . I eat 6 times a day. I started doing that when I was only running about 1km a day and doing body building (doing weights and strength training for an hour every night), I noticed a huge difference, I had more energy and lost all excess fat. I now follow a raw vegan diet, still eat 6 times a day and am running 24km a day and doing no bodybuilding. Good luck

Hello! I think if you want to build muscle then distance running is not the way to go about it. Definitely keep up with the Muay Thai, and then try to add some strength training to your routine if you have the time. Compound exercises and lots of weight should get you stronger and get your metabolism up!

Hi!

Many Dietitians recommend to eat small meals every few hours no matter what fitness level. They even recommend that to people who do no exercise at all . I eat 6 times a day. I started doing that when I was only running about 1km a day and doing body building (doing weights and strength training for an hour every night), I noticed a huge difference, I had more energy and lost all excess fat. I now follow a raw vegan diet, still eat 6 times a day and am running 24km a day and doing no bodybuilding. Good luck

What kind of meals did you eat/are you eating right now? If you could just give an example it would be great, so I can have something to work on (gotta be able to make the whole thing fit with working full time etc). Thank you!

Eat fruit before and after workouts. Oranges and bananas for example. Strawberries, pears, melons, water melons - anything sweet. You could restore your water and glycogen levels with sweet juicy fruits. Fruit is full of vitamins - who needs the Animal Pak? You might get some vegan protein or just eat more in general:) Make sure to be loaded with protein after the workout. There is protein in each living cell so combining some plant sources usually gives a good amino profile. The good thing about fruit is that you can eat as much as you want

As to the workout, yes, it is possible to gain muscle/weight without the gym. Get a vest with weights and do dips and chin ups. Or have someone hang on your back/waist and do the same

Only bodyweight will give you a nice body but not mass.

I bought the Dr Max Powers 15 Day Cleanse with the duo goals of detoxing and losing 5 pounds. One previous review had mentioned the reduction of love handles. I totally agree.

I am 5 foot 5.5 and 125 pounds. I did not stay on the whole plan for the recommended days, but I still reaped the benefits and felt better.

I think, and if anyone knows more please correct me, that the best way to run is to do sprints. I like to sprint a block, walk half, jog half, then sprint another block. When you look at the Olympic sprinters they've got muscle vs. marathoners who are leaner.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I think, and if anyone knows more please correct me, that the best way to run is to do sprints. I like to sprint a block, walk half, jog half, then sprint another block. When you look at the Olympic sprinters they've got muscle vs. marathoners who are leaner.

Exactly. I usually post this in comparison:

http://sourcecrossfit.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/sprinter-vs-long-distance-runner1.jpg

If you do larger amounts of distance running, it will do pretty much nothing good for building muscle, as the body has zero reason to hold on to any muscle beyond that which is essential for long-term aerobic work. I've challenged people in the past to show me pictures of muscular individuals who engage in long-distance (or long-on-time) regular aerobic work, and so far, the challenge has gone without anyone giving a good example

Being able to run 30 miles won't do any more to build muscle than if you were to curl a soup can for 3 hours straight every few days, so running = bad for trying to gain lean mass. A little bit here and there is one thing, but regular long-term cardio work is counterproductive to trying to really add on mass. The body typically goes to town on cannibalizing precious muscle tissue for long-term aerobic training and doesn't do anything to rebuild it with such training, so unless someone truly loves running for the sake of running, it is completely non-essential for any program where someone wants to gain lean mass. Of course, running has its own benefits, but it's a matter of deciding whether you want to accellerate your progress for gaining lean mass, or, keep up the additional cardio work at the chance that it may hinder your gains.

One day a week of running for an hour won't ruin progress for building some size, but at the same time, it sure won't help you gain any lean mass, and you may end up having to eat more to make up for the caloric deficit from doing longer distance running so as to not have it affect your mass gaining negatively.

• 4 weeks later...

For building a muscle u don't have to go to GYM u can also done by your self. You just have to take meal at every few hours. U have to do the running of about 1 km per day morning. U have to do the weight lifting exercise every day. If u follow this process u can see the changes in your body in few days.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...