Breakfast

MikeyPod

Hey everyone!

So after 3-4 YEARS of false starts I am inching my way back into an exercise routine. I just finished my third week of every other daily (MWF) 2.5 mile runs and I am FINALLY relieved to say I am getting back into that zone where working out is a necessity, not just that thing I used to do and wish I could back to. (I think I have made intro posts to the forum once or twice before, so I shall spare you those mundane details.)

After two and a half years of veganism, I feel like I have outgrown most cluelessness about what the heck to eat except... BREAKFAST! I have some go to things (tofu scramble, steel-cut oats w/fruit and nuts etc) but I need some new things. i found myself again eating a bagel and hummus this morning and all that white flour...no bueno.

My thing with breakfast is I want something great and healthy that is really REALLY easy to put together. As much as I love to cook, sometimes I feel like I want to devote that early morning energy to something other than cooking and cleaning up.

So...what are your favorite things to eat for breakfast, or better yet do you have a routine that gets you fed in the morning and quickly on your way?

Thanks!

Breakfast is a tough one. Do you ever do fruit or protein shakes? I find those to be very simple and a good start to the day. If you have more time, I recently tried a 'french toast' recipe out and I thought it turned out great! Now it does require a very small amount of oil, but I'd say that's the unhealthiest part of it. It's just to prevent the batter from sticking to the pan, it cooks pretty quick!

Here's the link if you are interested:

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/339

They have several other vegan friendly breakfast ideas you could look at as well.

Good luck! Hope this helps!

I second the smoothie idea! Cleaning is a bit of a hassle but the other prep time is so small that I think it works out, plus I feel like smoothies are a great way to get some greens early in your day. Here is a recipe I like and one that seems to please most people. You can't even taste the spinach!

1 banana

1 cup blueberries (I prefer frozen)

1/2 cup orange juice (or juice of choice)

2 tbsp flax seeds, ground (you can buy them pre-ground)

3 cups spinach (or about 100 grams / 3.5 oz)

ice, to taste

Just throw it all in a blender and blamo, you have a tasty morning meal.

Nutrition Info:

390 cals

10g fat

74g carbs

15g fiber

10g protein

3:1 o-3 to o-6 ratio

Over 100% DV of 4 vitamins and minerals

Over 25% DV of 9 more vitamins and minerals

• 2 weeks later...

I love putting frozen spinach in a smoothie, gives it a nice thick consistency. A "go to " breakfast of mine is from Thrive by Brendan Brazier, its his cereal.

1 TBSP hemp protein powder

1 TBSP ground flax seed

1 TBSP chopped ginger

1-2 dates chopped

1/4 C nuts chopped (I use almonds or a mix of almonds/cashews or almonds/walnuts)

1 banana cut up

Soy, almond or hemp milk to the consistency you like

I mix the hemp powder and flax together real well, usually in a shaker or blender. Then add everything else. Optional add ins - cacao nibs, blue berries... I'm actually eating right now, did it different this time and definitly a winner. I did the hemp powder, flax and took frozen blueberries added the soy milk and blended it then added everything else. Awesome.

• 1 month later...
Breakfast is important for health. Morning time is the start of the day and our body needs lot of energy to do lot of work during the day so breakfast should be healthy. I drink fruit juice and eat bread with eggs.

>bread with eggs

>eggs

>veganbodybuilding.com

>chickens menstrual cycle

>eats chicken period for breakfast

Lewis u listed whey, yogurt and cheese wtf.

Banana smoothie is my favorite breakfast.I put 6 bananas in it and apricot juice.Sometimes i add ground flax seeds in there.Oats are good for bulking.But i feel better just with the smoothie.

Edited by Cold Fission

Nick's AWESOME Oatmeal/Porridge (Note: rolled oats work the best)

Ingredients:

1 cup rolled oats measured dry.

1.5 to 2 cups of water (to cook them)

a piece of fruit of your choice; diced into small cubes (apple of pear works best)

1-2 tbsp of chia seeds or pepitas

cinnamon to your preference (1-2tsp)

a drizzle of soy or another alternative vegan milk (for at the end)

Method:

put 1 cup rolled oats into a pot on the stove, if you want the sweetness of the fruit to come out put the fruit in now ( note that the fruit will go soft if added now). If you like your fruit still crunchy add it at the end with the chia seeds/pepitas.

Submerge with 1.5-2 cups of water. Bring to boil, stir and cook til ready; usually 3-5 minutes.

(A tip of you want to speed the process up: boil the jug/kettle and cover with boiling water instead of cold water).

When cooked, stir through the chia seeds or pepitas as well as the cinnamon.

Scoop into a man sized bowl, drizzle some milk of your choice over the top (just so the oats look like an ice-berg surfacing through it).

Eat up!

P.S. Don't be afraid to add some agave or maple syrup!

I am going to bed now because it is 11pm over here!

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I always work out within 30 minutes of waking up in the morning so the first thing I take in (other than plenty of fresh water) is a scoop of Vega Sport PW recovery just mixed with...(you guessed it)..more water!

...then I shower...and then I eat...

and it always seems to be either steel cut oatmeal with 1 tsp raw cashew butter, 1 tbs of ground flax seed, and fruit (either a chopped up apple or pear, or blueberries)

OR

Lentils or tofu, with quinoa and plenty of vegetables.

• 2 weeks later...

My personal favourite for breakfast is as follows:

1 large scoop protein powder (now will be hemp, pea or whatever I can find)

1 block Acai

1 frozen banana (this makes the smoothie silky)

Handful berries

Lite coconut milk

Blend in a Vitamix and there you have it. Pretty simple and tasty. I occasionally add some peanut or almond butter to it to make it especially awesome.

• 2 weeks later...
Since I'm allergic to bananas, what might be a good substitute to still make the smoothie silky like you said the bananas do?

I often use avocado's in my shakes, and this gives it a silky, smooth texture much like a standard dairy milkshake.

For me, just a 1/4 to 1/2 of an avocado is enough to give it the right texture.

Since I'm allergic to bananas, what might be a good substitute to still make the smoothie silky like you said the bananas do?

I often use avocado's in my shakes, and this gives it a silky, smooth texture much like a standard dairy milkshake.

For me, just a 1/4 to 1/2 of an avocado is enough to give it the right texture.

when i mention avocado someone always says "oh that is too much fat" yet almonds have 7x more fat per 100g serving.

p.s. i have never heard of anyone being allergic to bananas.OP What type of allergy do you have when you eat bananas?

Rob, Taro is a good substitute for bananas to make things creamy in a smoothy as well. Hmm what else, similar to bananas, do you know if you are allergic to plantains as well? Those are pretty close to banana-like. I would go with the taro for a try though. For a lot of people if we are allergic to something then our body rejects the taste and smell so plantains even if you aren't allergic to them might not be the best idea.

-Dylan

So...what are your favorite things to eat for breakfast, or better yet do you have a routine that gets you fed in the morning and quickly on your way?

1 scoop Vega One chocolate, 1 scoop tropical strawberry Shakeology, 1/2 cup frozen strawberries, and water.

I mostly just do fruit smoothies and supplements, helps with hydration and is far better than caffeine IMHO.

HELP, I discovered cookie butter. It is vegan but it is super unhealthy made of margarine and lots of oils and sugar. So...I have a healthy breakfast of quinoa bread, bananas, and celery....but I cover them all in cookie butter hahaha. Someone help this sweet tooth out with a super sweet healthier alternative. I like almond butter but it just doesn't satisfy the sweet tooth