• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Sad face, where did cubby go? Also I am offering to update the thread, but I would need a mod to give me thread privileges! Also I just posted an idea on the VF forums for their thread, and I will re-post it here too!

I was toying with the idea of adding another column to the chart, one that takes into account relative strength? AKA the strength relative to the bodyweight, not just the max strength. It would just be the weight of the combined lifts (say 400kg) divided by the weight of the lifter (say 150kg), giving a strength per weight ratio (say 400/150=2.67).

The only reason I thought of this is because I think relative strength is also a great way to measure personal progress over time. If your relative strength is going up, then you are either getting stronger at the same weight, you are losing weight and keeping most of your strength, or you are gaining weight but gaining strength comparatively quicker. Either way, a good measure of performance (I think).

Like I said, it's just an idea I had, and I thought maybe other people here would like to see that as well. I am also offering to calculate the relative strength number for all of the current members on the list!

It's a good idea but you can't just divide the total by bodyweight. There's a system already;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilks_Coefficient

set up to address the imbalances whereby lighter lifters tend to have a greater power to weight ratio ... lighter lifters tending to lift more weight in relation to their own bodyweight. This occurs for a number of reasons relating to simple physics, the nature of the makeup and limitations of the human skeletal and muscular system and, the shorter leverages of smaller people.

There's calculators online as well you just pop in a few details and it'll give you the points out.

It's a good idea but you can't just divide the total by bodyweight. There's a system already;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilks_Coefficient

set up to address the imbalances whereby lighter lifters tend to have a greater power to weight ratio ... lighter lifters tending to lift more weight in relation to their own bodyweight. This occurs for a number of reasons relating to simple physics, the nature of the makeup and limitations of the human skeletal and muscular system and, the shorter leverages of smaller people.

There's calculators online as well you just pop in a few details and it'll give you the points out.

Hey thanks for the info, and I would also love to add a 'Coefficient' column to the table, but I take a personal issue with it, only because the variables used in the formula don't seem to have an up-to-date scientific basis. An FAQ page says, "Generally, [what he has] done is to use various regression methods to fit a curve to the world's records for all bodymass divisions, with no attempt to explain any underlying physiology." This is fine, but how long ago did he do this, and with how many worlds records, and over what time period? Of course I know that no measurement is perfect, I just think that a simple relative strength page is a great way to measure personal progress over time. Also, I wasn't suggesting we RANK the table by relative strength, only that we include it in the table! So I am up for including both, but keeping overall total weight as the ranking column is fine by me....

• 5 weeks later...

As mentionned this table hasn't been updated in over a year (since cubby left the boards), so unless he comes back this thread isn't going to be updated. There are barely any active members on that list that are still here, and only a small handful have posted updates in the long space of a year.

To anyone interested there is a frequently updated, competitive and busy strength table over at the Vegan Fitness forums;

http://www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=22315

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
how does this work? is this just one rep personal bests for squat,bench, and deadlift? Or do you have to do more reps?

Please tell me so I can do it tomorrow and add my numbers...

Depends what you do.

Would either be one rep max (heaviest on one perfect lift) or heaviest reps (some people do lighter but more reps for competitions).

• 2 weeks later...