Please tell me the very best recovery protein powder!

Hey guys, I"m sorry if this has been asked and answered a bunch of times. I tried scouring the forums but I'm not finding my answer!

So, what is THE BEST recovery protein a bodybuilding chic can take after her intense workouts?! I've heard about Vega, but honestly, I can't afford that right now. Is there something better or comparable that's not so expensive?

Also, this is what I've been eating and I don't know if it's good for cutting while maintaining and building lean muscle. I'm winging it..

meal 1 - 1 scoop 28g. pea protein, w/ water, ice, stevia for sweetness, 1/2 cup frozen blueberries and 10g plain, unsalted, almond butter.

meal 2 - post workout - same shake as above w/ 1/2 cup 5 minute oats in water.

meal 3 - usually either a black bean burger w/ veggies (17 gram protein) it's a frozen kind from costco..i'm guessing it's not conducive to shedding fat? but it's convenient and quick and gives me protein. OR may sautee some cubed up tofu in about 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and eat that with some green veggies of some sort

meal 4 - Another meal like meal 3

meal 5 - Another pea protein drink w/ water, ice, stevia, 10g almond butter and NO BLUEBERRIES with this one -- this is usually my last meal of the day,

although I'd like to get another in, it usually dosen't happen that

now, I seem to feel hungry quickly after my protein drinks..?

I know I need to figure my calories, haven't yet. I work out 6 days per week .. HARD. I've been throwing in HIIT several times a week, right now too. I have a layer of FAT on my stomach and it's not cute..

Anyone help me? I have robert cheeke's book but his meal plans are so high in calories (because that is what his needs are) but mine are certainly not in the 3500 calorie range..

I'm sort of discouraged because I really would like to enter a figure show in March 2012 but I know how to loose this fat with the basic bodybuilding diet (done it before with GREAT results) but I do not want to break my vegan diet. but I really want to do a show, at least once, in my life too..ugh.

thanks all..

The tastier the better? Yes, I'd agree but..that doesn't answer my questions!! hmmm.?

It answers the question, just does not explain

The idea to drink protein is to restore the nitrogen balance (i.e. the level of amino acids) in the muscles after your anaerobic workout. The point is to get about 20-30 grams of protein after the workout. 30 grams is quoted as the maximum amount of protein we can digest at once. That is why almost all protein powders have a 30 grams dose. Depending on our digestive system, steroid uptake, mana points and other factors like that, this quantity may vary but remains in this area.

After workout you would want a fast protein to recover the muscles asap, while for daily consumption, you'd want a slow protein to give you a steady supply of aminoacids. (Whatever is not utilized from the 'fast' protein, goes out of the body with the urine). A 'fast' protein, for example, is pea protein.

There are two main types of protein: Isolates and concentrates. Isolates are obtained through fine processing (usually chemical) which removes the non-protein content from them to a very high degree. Concentrates are mostly dehydrated substances with more or less removed non-protein content (carbohydrates or fats). This only means that isolate is the purer form and has less carbs and fat in it. This does not make it the better source but since the process of obtaining it is more expensive and complex than that of obtaining concentrate, the production companies now have a good reason to take your money! (Since 50% of say $12 is more than 50% of $8). Apart from this, some valuable components are removed in the process of filtration of isolate. If we were not vegans, whey protein isolate would be better than whey protein concentrate because it would have less lactose (indigestible) and animal fats. This doesn't seem to be the case with vegetable proteins unless you have intolerance to something (but then you wouldn't pick this source at all). Some valuable nutrients are lost in the process of filtration of isolates too. Usually, proteins with too high a percentage of protein content are somewhat denatured but this depends on the manufacturer and processing. It may or may not happen. 80% whey protein is stable and soy stays stable at even 90% (to be verified, general numbers).

As to what type:

Soy protein is a complete protein, containing all of the essential amino acids. It also has a high glutamine content. Glutamine is an amino acid which is widely used in the muscles and very essential for muscle recovery. However soy protein is harder to digest and absorb than the other plant sources.

Hemp protein is very easy to digest and does not involve genetic modifying, therefore being the more moral choice. It is very close in structure to the proteins found in the blood plasma, which supposedly gives the body building blocks for its immune cells.

Pea protein is the fastest to absorb protein out there (better than whey) which makes it the perfect post-workout protein. However, pea protein is poor in methionine (peanuts have a high methionine content) but has a high lysine content.

Rice protein is easy to digest and is processed with enzymes at low temperature which preserves it against denaturing. However it is poor in some amino acids, among which lysine. Therefore...

...the combination of pea + rice protein is very good. I myself love Pro Sana's 3-component (rice, pea and soy) protein ... because of its extremely low price and wonderful vanilla flavour!!! This is a German company and I doubt you can find it in the US. This forum works with some good US protein powders. You could look into the forum for more details on them.

With that said, you just want 10-30 grams of protein after your workout and it doesn't really matter where it comes from as long as it's there. Food is actually the best source. And apart from the nitrogen balance, you'd want some glycogen restoration, which is why some fast carbs after the workout give good recovery. I'd recommend fruitarianism with all my heart but that's another topic.

Therefore, what matters is ... the taste! Because it makes your life better. The protein's function is only to be there.

And to conclude...

The boss of a very large company was looking for a secretary. 3 girls showed up for the interview. The adviser of the boss was conducting the interview. "What do you get when you add 2+2?" he asked the girls.

- 4. - answered the first girl.

"This is one is accurate and honest". - said the adviser.

- The same you get when you multiply 2 x 2. - answered the second girl.

"This one has a rhetoric talent." - said the adviser.

- What result do you want me to get you? - answered the third girl.

"This one is an experienced and has imagination" - said the adviser. "Now, boss, which one do you want to be your secretary?"

- The blond one with the big boobs! - answered the boss.

Same with the protein powders. They all get you protein, just pick the one you like drinking.

Also, I'd suggest you eat some good amount of fruits (bananas, oranges, melons, water melons, anything sweet in a good quantity) in the morning. This will give you glycogen for the liver, muscles and brain. Keep the protein shake. Maybe take it some minutes after the fruits for better digestion. Also, take some sweet fruit after your workout. One orange, one grapefruit, something like that. Again, to restore the muscle fuel - glycogen. Then drink your protein shake. While bananas will be good before the workout, something with more water and vitamins would be better after the workout - hence the citrus ones. The carbohydrates in fruits (mainly fructose) are simple sugars but they follow another metabolic path than the other sugars (they form glycogen in the liver directly) and they almost never turn into fat. Just make sure you eat them at least 15 minutes before the other food so they can be digested and absorbed without obstruction from other foods. You could also move the almond butter earlier in the day to avoid having to metabolize fats during the night (sleep) when your metabolism is slow. You could replace it with a huge salad/fruits/both. Again, do not worry about the fruits, their sugar is 'good'. This is your last meal for the day but if you still have some hours till bedtime, I guess just add the salad/fruits. I suppose the fructose (glycogen) from the fruit will alleviate the hunger issue. If it doesn't, then keep the fructose and add some salads to your diet to fill your stomach.

Good luck with the competition too