Older beginner

pawnjuggler

Hi everyone,

I've been a vegetarian for about 18 years, and just recently started moving toward vegan.

I've also just started working out at a gym about a month ago after being sedentary for quite a few years. I'm 59 years old so it's a bit of a challenge starting a fitness program at this age. However it is going very well and I'm looking forward to making good progress. I don't think age is any excuse. I started learning to play classical guitar at age 48 when many people said I was "too old". Nonsense.

Any suggestions from anyone on training and transitioning to vegan are welcome.

Joseph

dont take crap from anyone regarding protein. you can easily get 200-300 grams a day with rice protein and eating correctly. what specifically are looking to learn about? not like im qualified to tell u lol...although i went from last year being a 180lb lacto-ovo-pescatarian who rarely exercised to a 130lbs vegan who can lift more than a lot of guys at the gym. ...

I'm trying to get a better handle on my workout routine. Right now I do upper body one day, and legs the next day. I workout 5 days a week. I do aerobics daily. How often do I change up the routine? I've heard that at my age (59) rest days are more important; true or false? I feel fine with my current routine, with plenty of energy etc. I have been adding new exercises a little at a time. I'm just not sure how to structure my workouts for maximum effectiveness.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

sorry if this late but I just wanted to add my thoughts. I am 41 and just getting back into things after a long lay off and severe back problems. Just go for it is my advice, maybe you could become a role model for the "older fitness fanatics". also i am learning classical guitar after playing rock guitar since age of 14 so another reason why i had to post a response. (You heard of pumping nylon?)