MelRae's Gonna Get Muscles!

I have previously kept a training log on my computer that I haven't shared with anyone. The reality is that when it's only mine, I don't feel as bad about skipping a workout or eating an extra cookie (and the logs have been completely ineffective, and I will often update them for only one month before dropping the habit for a couple months until I start feeling bad about myself again). I hope you will all hold me accountable to keeping this training log!

As I start this blog I am active (I love to hike, bike, run, etc), but I'm not consistent. Further, my inconsistencies in activity have made it super-hard for me to see any real results. I've been vegan since 2008, but I've been one of those not-too-healthy- vegans who hasn't paid as much attention to my diet (other than checking labels for sneaky ingredients like casein). After reading Robert's book I have been really inspired to do more: to be an example of health and fitness that makes others really second-guess any misconceptions they have about vegans.

My longer-term goal is to have the physique of a figure model. I know this is a long, long, (long!) term goal, but I want to include this in my intro so that you can provide feedback based on that goal (I know that I'm not going to take in as many calories as you hard-core heavy-lifters!).

I will be online later tonight with today's fitness/nutrition results. I look forward to seeing your input!

My first log!

Main question here is regarding the protein amount. I calculated this as 75% of my body weight (currently 130 lbs), but the amount of protein I consumed today (even being conscious of trying to increase my protein) is very low versus that target, and it seems that reaching my goal amount will be difficult... so do you think I'm targeting the protein correctly? If so, the first stop I will make in the morning will be to the grocery for some protein powder so I can kick it up a notch.

Any suggestions/feedback you can offer are appreciated!

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd73/mrgers/Workout%20Logs/11.jpg

I cut out stuff like soy cream cheese, diaya, nasoya, lightlife products. Well I guess lightlife gives a lot of protein but the "cheese products' basically just add calories, fat and salt and very little protein. Try subbing peanut butter. I used to only get like 100 grams a day just with food, but with changing my food and adding pea /rice protein powder I'm getting 200-260 a day and i weigh 134. I also eat like 2400 calories a day though, but im fairly confident burning a lot of it with running and heavy lifting. i eat a lot of clif builders too. yummy. i eat ezekiel bread instead of regular bread, 4grams/slice and 80 cals.

If you only weigh 130lb (60kg) then you only need about 70g protein (1.2g per kilogram of body-weight). The max you would need would be 84g (1.4g per kilogram of body-weight) and this is only if you are looking for a lot of muscle growth. A lot of people over estimate protein requirements but for your current weight your protein intake looks fine. Any more than 1.4g/kg and your body will just convert it for energy use, which is a very inefficient process. If you want to increase your intake a bit further then swap almond milk for soy-milk and add in some extra protein at dinner... 9g isn't very much. Try tofu/beans/legumes/seitan/tempeh instead of the ?bacon strips.

I cut out stuff like soy cream cheese, diaya, nasoya, lightlife products. Well I guess lightlife gives a lot of protein but the "cheese products' basically just add calories, fat and salt and very little protein.

Yeah, I know this stuff has got to go; I have a whole fridge of it that I'm going to get rid of and then I won't be buying it anymore. The exception will be when I go to family events where I'm the only vegan and the host insists on having something vegan for me (and since they are overwhelmed by the task of cooking for me they always rely on the no-fail processed stuff!). My theory is that if I'm not using the processed stuff as a large portion of my intake I shouldn't have to be "too" concerned with it in the long run.

If you only weigh 130lb (60kg) then you only need about 70g protein (1.2g per kilogram of body-weight). The max you would need would be 84g (1.4g per kilogram of body-weight) and this is only if you are looking for a lot of muscle growth. A lot of people over estimate protein requirements but for your current weight your protein intake looks fine. Any more than 1.4g/kg and your body will just convert it for energy use, which is a very inefficient process.

Thanks for the info! I had taken my previous calculation from the guides on veganbodybuilding.com; the way it was written ("Of course, protein is important in fitness and "working out" so eat about .75-1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight each day.") I took it as the gospel of protein intake; do you know why there are different guidelines? Are the guidelines mentioned on the web site just meant for the heavy-lifters?

My next log will have a reduced protein target of 70g; this seems much, much more attainable.

do you know why there are different guidelines? Are the guidelines mentioned on the web site just meant for the heavy-lifters?

My next log will have a reduced protein target of 70g; this seems much, much more attainable.

I am a Dietitian and for strength athletes we would usually recommend a person to intake 1.2-1.7g per kilogram body weight. I'm sure there are plenty of forums out there where people will say you need more (more does not equal bigger muscles). In early stages of bulking it would be better to aim for the upper range, however for the type of exercise you are currently doing, the lower end would be fine. It really depends what your goals are. Females also have lower requirements than males (~15%) hence 1.4-1.5g/kg would be the upper end of the range

Here is a good link to read http://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/nutrition/factsheets/basics/protein_-_how_much although the protein sources they suggest aren't necessarily vegan

Cheers

Today's log isn't too impressive from the nutrition side (not enough calories, too many carbs... I need to do some major fridge revamping to get to where I need to be). But I feel pretty good about my workout, even if the nutrition could use some help. I was exhausted when I left the gym, which is a good sign.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd73/mrgers/Workout%20Logs/11-1.jpg

Making up for my lack of calories on Tuesday with a few extra last night. Still looking for ways to increase my fats intake (the nut butters and spreads seem to be a good option). I need to grab some avocado and more almonds next time I go to the store to help with that purpose, as well.

For fitness, just a short run yesterday; hoping to get in a more intense workout this evening.

Hope to post my next log tonight. In the meantime, anyone ever been to Panama (the country, not Florida)? I'll be there next week; hope that there are some great vegan options for me.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd73/mrgers/Workout%20Logs/8-3-11-1.png

Today I realized the importance of having easy-to-make meals available. I had a family (pet) emergency that resulted in me not having dinner until 11:00 pm (and then only having some cereal...). On the bright side, I got a pretty good workout in before everything happened with my dog (who is going to see the vet in just a few minutes ).

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd73/mrgers/Workout%20Logs/8-4-11.png

Skipped any semblance of a real dinner last night... not really on purpose, but more because I ended up at a bar with some friends to watch the UFC fight, and the bar didn't have anything I could eat (the veggie burger wasn't vegan... sigh). I'm pretending my post-run protein bar is a good substitute for dinner, but I know it's not.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd73/mrgers/Workout%20Logs/8-6-11.png

Weekends are so hard for me! Nothing too special in this log.

Leaving for Panama today... everyone wish me luck on finding healthy vegan food and having a decent hotel gym. If neither of these work out you'll see my logs come back with nothing but the Clif Bars and PB & Pretzels I've packed for emergency.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd73/mrgers/Workout%20Logs/8-7-11.png

Travelling is rough... travelling when you don't speak the language is more rough... travelling when you're vegan and don't speak the language is... well, you get the point. Here are my two logs for yesterday and today. Workout today was mediocre, but I'm living off three hours' sleep and simply too exhausted to get more in. Hopefully Thursday night will be better.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd73/mrgers/Workout%20Logs/8-8-11.png

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd73/mrgers/Workout%20Logs/8-9-11.png