Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: It is against nature!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:09 pm 
Stegosaurus

Fallen_Horse wrote:
I have to disagree. Without eating lots of dirt and living in a sunny environment, many vegans would die without supplementation. B12 and vitamin D just aren't found in vegan foods, and they are required by our body...

Tell me about it. As having been recently tested to have rock-bottom vitamin D levels despite even taking the occasional supplement containing adequate amounts of D2, I've learned a valuable lesson this past month since my results came back. They're not sure yet, it may be that the drugs for my eye condition are affecting my absorption, or, it could be that my body just sucks enough to not want to process D correctly for what it needs. Finally, a possible explanation for the aches and pains that I've had for no apparent reason, as well as the mood swings and bouts of depression I've endured this past year. Not fun, and something fairly simple that can really screw up how one feels, to where you're constantly wondering what's wrong with you!

Here's to hoping the new vegan D3 product one of our manufacturing partners is about to unleash this summer will keep me in a better spot from here on out!

Post subject: Re: Vegans owning non-Vegan animals?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:11 pm 
Stegosaurus

Fallen_Horse wrote:
I have to disagree. Without eating lots of dirt and living in a sunny environment, many vegans would die without supplementation. B12 and vitamin D just aren't found in vegan foods, and they are required by our body...

Tell me about it. As having been recently tested to have rock-bottom vitamin D levels despite even taking the occasional supplement containing adequate amounts of D2, I've learned a valuable lesson this past month since my results came back. They're not sure yet, it may be that the drugs for my eye condition are affecting my absorption, or, it could be that my body just sucks enough to not want to process D correctly for what it needs. Finally, a possible explanation for the aches and pains that I've had for no apparent reason, as well as the mood swings and bouts of depression I've endured this past year. Not fun, and something fairly simple that can really screw up how one feels, to where you're constantly wondering what's wrong with you!

Here's to hoping the new vegan D3 product one of our manufacturing partners is about to unleash this summer will keep me in a better spot from here on out!

Post subject: Re: It is against nature!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:59 am 
Manatee

Fallen_Horse wrote:
Duncan_Idaho wrote:
We are vegans by nature, cats and dogs are carnivores by nature. Cars eat gasoline, diesel and gas. It's as simple as that :)

You don't have to disagree. Humans are made to live outdoors in a sunny environment. Otherwise they don't feel good whatever they eat or take;)

Post subject: Re: Re: Vegans owning non-Vegan animals?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:21 am 
Rabbit

chrisjs wrote:
SpartanDiva wrote:
it is going against nature.
The physical world isn't some moral authority and it is not capable of being harmed by going "against" it.

It may or may not be in everyone's best interest to feed cats a vegan diet that's synthetically supplemented as necessary, but the observation of their natural diet shouldn't preclude engineering a way around it.

True. My 2 kitties have been eating Veganpet biscuits for 5 years, no problems. 5yo male, 10yo female. Both had cat flu when I adopted them from the refuge, it's been latent since they got over it.

Post subject: Re: Vegans owning non-Vegan animals?
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:20 pm 
VBB Moderator

Interesting thread, I'm surprised I haven't seen it before. I recently got a hedgehog for my gf. This means, I recently got a hedgehog haha, we don't live together but I am definitely going to be held to 70% of the responsibilities. I have owned one before many years ago. I love the little guys. After they get used to you they are really fun to play with. I like flipping them on their backs and petting their stomachs (they are soft like bunnies).
They are definitely not herbivores. I am on the side of not messing with nature and trying to convert an omnivore into a herbivore. I think that is risky towards the animals health. Feeding him live meal worms is pretty weird but I fished as a kid so its not so weird. I also have it ingrained in me through nurture that bugs and worms don't really count as animals. I know this is a terrible way of thinking but for many of us it is hard to think about a worm with the same caring as a dog, cat, pig or cow.
Anyone else own or have ever owned a hedgehog?

-Dylan