Can I use both the protein and the performance optimizer?

Hi,

I’m new to the forums. I have both the Vega Sport Performance Optimizer and the Vega Sport Performance Protein. I am not sure how I should be using them. Am I cancelling them out using them both together? Should I take one before working out and the other after? Or in some other combination? How does one use these two products on a daily basis? I would really appreciate any insight on this.

By the way, I am 49, 5’ 10” and weigh about 175. I exercise about one and a half hours every other day alternating between pushing and pulling body exercises. I do push-ups, sit-ups, leg lifts and dumbbell exercises (flys and curls with 25 lb dumbbells). In between these days, I do about half an hour on the elliptical machine and stretching. That is where I am at right now.

I would really appreciate any insight on this.

Thanks in advance… Joe

It all depends... You should always at least have some sort of protein intake after your work out. Up to 50 grams worth.

The optimizer is a pre-drink you should generally drink it about a half hour before your workout. I have on occasion if I was feeling famished and had no time to eat say before running to a fitness class combined the two but It didn't affect the purpose of the pre-drink.

As a general rule (by no means the law) the optimizer is to be consumed pre-workout to give you that extra push. The protein should be consumed after, 1-2 scoops.

I'm drinking two scoops right now as I type this after getting in from a run. It's a great product and my preferred protein powder.

I have also used the pre-drink as an energy drink on days where I've had to work up to 15 hours between jobs.

Thanks. I noticed that the Perfomance Optimizer gave me a better work-out if taken before the work-out. The Performance Protein didn't really give me the same effect taking it before working out. I really like the Optimizer. I'll know in a week or so how I like the Protein. I should have faster recuperation with less muscle ache when taking the Protein post workout? Would that be how I know if it is working or not? Thanks again, Joe.

The protein is what your muscles need to repair themselves. Also the vega sport contains glutamine which helps as well, especially with tendons.

Be aware though a protein powder is just a supplement, to help get you that little bit extra. So as long as your diet is already well rounded. I'm about the same weight and height as you, 5'11, 180 pounds and currently consuming anywhere from 200-300 grams of protein a day depending on how inense my workout is.

As long as you have your diet covered the protein powder will assist with that. The protein powder alone will not.

If I may suggest I got a great iPhone app called Lean Me that let's track the macronutrients in my diet. It also helps me estimate how much extra calorie intake I need each day (Protein, Carbohydrates, and Fat). It's been a valuable tool for me the last two months. I've never eaten as well and as geared for performance in my life.

It's customizable too so you can adjust the macronutrients levels to what works for you best and what you're trying to achieve. I estimate some things input the rest.

The protein powder with a well rounded diet will make all the difference.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the info and suggestions. I am a nutritarian, so I have a nutrient dense diet. I get plenty of nuts, seeds and beans, etc. As I have posted elsewhere, I am still eating 10% of my diet in animal products. I am trying to change that. My diet used to be 90% animal products. I am hoping to find my way to a totally vegan animal free diet by coming here. I think it will help me with the last ten percent. I have had very good replies to my inquiries. It's helping. It's not easy to break old habits that have been ingrained since birth... Thanks again...

Mostly tuna fish with a little mayo on whole wheat bread or chicken with vegetables. Once every few weeks a steak or a hamburger.

For instance, I haven't had any animal products in three days. No meat, no fish, no dairy. I'm not bothered by it in the least. I feel great. But in another day or two I might start getting a craving. The other time I get cravings is when I am around it, lets say a party or a restaurant. Then it becomes very difficult to not eat it. So the first craving seems biological and the second craving seems environmental.

There are alternatives. If you live in a big city there's usually a shop or two in China Town that sells mock fish, I think I've even seen a few products in Whole Foods. Veganaise, or Nayonaise is also an alternative to Mayo. There are tons of substitute products or recipes you can make your self. Veggie burgers are easy to find or prepare yourself. There are vegan steaks, nothing I've been super impressed with but you may want to look at different seitan products to replace it. One of my favorites are Tofurky Sausages, 24 grams of protein a sausage.

There are stores that cater to alot of these things. And I find even in the states every small town seems to have that one awesome healthfood store trying to give people a better alternative to things ( this may just be Vermont and Massachusetts though).

But look around, and google alternatives.

How It All Vegan is a great cookbook to check out. If I can I'll see of I can find an Amazon link later when I'm off work.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have to explore different foods. I am wary of processed foods. It's that whole "fat vegan" thing. I try to stay away from anything that isn't the "whole food". That's not to say I don't cheat here and there, but I try to pick and choose my "cheats". For instance, olive oil is a processed food with 120 calories per tablespoon and negligible nutrient return (too much might even be harmful). However, I'll use a little on a salad if it helps me eat one or two pounds of salad (today I had nearly two pounds of salad for lunch).

So I have to explore but I am still wary. There is more and more information becoming available which suggests that processed foods are even worse than animal products. So movement away from animal based foods and processed foods is one of my goal.