Suddenly, lattes, hundreds of lattes.

Cellar Yeti

Tired of getting corn holed 4 bucks at Starbucks for a latte? Tired of playing Russian roulette with the 'beetus from all the sugar in them? Then have I got a deal for you. It's ridiculously simple to make your own lattes, all organic, for just pennies.

Here's what you need.

-1 Cup soymilk

-1 2-3oz super strong cup of tea or coffee.

-1 TSP of sugar

-Cinnamon or Nutmeg for garnish and the flavors

-MUSCLES TO WHISK THE CRAP OUT OF YOUR CONCOCTION.

For this example we will be making a tea latte. To make a coffee latte just brew a super strong cup of coffee. I use a Keurig but you could easily you a coffee pot to make strong coffee, just skimp on the water.

Start by pouring 1 cup of soymilk into a pan and turning it on medium. I use organic unsweetened vanilla or plain soymilk. I add 1 tsp organic cane sugar, it helps to make strong peaks, at this time I also add a dash of cinnamon. Make sure to whisk the ever loving crap out of the soymilk even before it begins to steam, do this every minute or so.

Next heat 2-3oz of water to just under a boil. In my case I nuke it because I am lazy. Chuck a tea bag in there and steep for the duration it takes the soymilk to come to a steam.

Once the soymilk gets hot and steamy pour your super strong tea or coffee into it and whisk with the violence of the Norse Gods.

Pour into a cup, spoon delicious foam on top, and garnish with cinnamon or peppermint or unicorn dust. Sip, and giggle when you get foam on your nose.

You can do white tea, black tea, green tea, coffee, a Vegan creme base made of vanilla, peppermint, orange, a hot chocolate base with cocoa power, you can garnish with orange powder, peppermint, nutmeg, the possibilities are endless.

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/7400/dscn2956.jpg

I only use organic unicorn dust.

Hey, if you want a coffee experience bordering on the mystical, try toddy. It's so delicious, it's almost unbelievable. The method involves cold soaking instead of, essentially, cooking your coffee. The result is a very low acidity level, a slightly higher caffeine rush, and a taste so silky smooth, you'll wonder why in the hell everybody isn't doing it already. Once I tried it, I never went back to regular old Joe. I even got my father, the Original Coffee Snob, to convert.

If you Google "toddy coffee," you'll find all sorts of contraptions for making it but you don't need any of them. It will work in a French Press or even a few things you have around the kitchen already. The end result is a concentrated coffee so sweet and rich (due to the low acidity) you'll be tempted to add it to recipes and indeed, it's perfect for just that. It's almost like a coffee liqueur. Best of all, because you make it all in one batch, it's ready to go from now on. No more waiting for the coffee maker, just add hot water and enjoy!

Here's how you do it quickly and easily:

Grind 12 ounces of your favorite beans to the consistency for drip coffee or a French Press (medium fine to fine but not espresso) and put in a glass or stainless steel bowl. Slowly pour 9 cups of water over the grounds, careful to wet every inch of them. Cover with plastic wrap or some other seal. Soak for 12 hours.

Drain off the toddy twice, first through a fine mesh sieve, then through an even finer sieve or a coffee filter. Put the discarded grounds in your compost pile or garden. Store the toddy in the refrigerator in glass or stainless steel jars to preserve the flavor. Whenever you want java, just add piping hot water in whatever ratio you like to make the strength of beverage you prefer. I personally drink it straight in very small amounts like an espresso, except that it tastes ten times better than an espresso. I use a 50/50 ratio of decaf and regular beans so I don't go ricocheting off the walls like a bottle rocket.

Baby Herc

Edited by Baby Hercules

Man! I need a sieve, strainer, then I am going to make the crap out of that. Gnarly!

Oh, baby, oh, baby, it is sooooooooooooooo good! Sipping it right now. (smacks lips)

Don't waste money buying paper coffee filters. Just get one of those stainless steel strainer replacement thingy's for any coffee maker and use that. I just measured and the first strainer I put the toddy through has holes just under two millimeters wide. The coffee filter holes for the final straining should be less than a millimeter wide. You will end up with a very fine sludge at the bottom of your storage glasses (what the paper filters would catch) but it's so fine, you can't detect it when you shake it up again. I likes me sweet sludge!

Baby Herc