Returning Vegan and New to Bodybuilding

mary2122

Hey everyone! I have been a vegan for year and then had a lot of stress/changes in my life and went to a vegetarian diet for about the last 3 months. But now I am returning to the vegan diet since I am a firm believer in it and I am glad I am back. I am brand new to bodybuilding and frankly I know nothing about it but I am happy I found this forum to help me with that! I am looking to become very toned with a nice amount of muscle, as of now I am not interested in competing but that may change as I see my body transform! I will post before pictures when I can. I gained 5lbs when I went from vegan to unhealthy vegetarianism for the last 3 months but happy to be back on track!

Nice to meet everyone!

Welcome! Glad you're back to veganism. You'll want to read carefully about the correct form for different weight lifting exercises and ideally have a knowledgeable person observe you. For many exercises, it's easy (and dangerous) to perform them wrong. Weight-lifting can be a very rewarding activity, though. As long as I don't totally overdo it, I feel very good afterward. I'm always in a better mood after than before lifting.

thank you! I agree! I have been researching proper form and do not want to start by lifting heavy...rather lift light until I have the form down! I have always wanted to become a personal trainer so may look into getting certified so I could learn even more! Thanks so much!

• 1 month later...

Welcome back,..and I her ya on vegetarian vs vegan. I was vegan for years and for about two plus or so, I was having health issues and trouble with the linings of my intestines etc, and beans and leafy were not an option so I supplemented my diet sporadically w/ egg whites for protein and always felt ,"ehhhhh" about it. While I was training for the competition I recently did, my first and last as I am too busy to compete, but not too busy to train, I upped my protein thru soy and vega performance protein that I was able to finally give up the egg whites.

The 5 pounds will fly off,..they always do if you want them to (unless they are part of the dreaded last five pounds to lose)

As for being a trainer,...I am was..by degree in college and also many certs over the years, but never made my livelihood doing by choice...I was a working mom of three and I always did it here and there, but a most rewarding career path to help others achieve their goals. The downside is when you see clients in the grocery store that have cancelled on you the day before and avoid eye contact with you like the plague because they have ice cream and Oreo cookies in their shopping cart, and don't want to explain why they cancelled and why they have crap food in their cart. Good luck ..many good cert organizations out there, just do your research in the area you live first and see what most of the trainers in that area are being hired with, as it varies by gyms and private clubs as to what kind of certifications are preferred.