Mixing protein powders

RoadToSoy

What kind of protein powders do you guys use?

Are there any specific benefits to a source? (I'd imagine that pea/rice proteins might not be "whole" by themselves, is it at all true?)

I've been mixing up roughly even amounts of soy, rice and pea protein (with fruit and stuff) for my post workout shakes, imagining it's a decent combo, supplementing each other.

Is it a good idea? Or is it possibly better to use a specific kind every time or possibly the same source for a period of time?

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, my questions might seem very basic, if not stupid:

- As we are talking of processed food (hemp protein, rice protein, pea protein, soy protein...), wouldn't it been even better to take soy protein powder and have hole cooked brown rice, pea and hemp next to it (in order to get the variety and nutriments that can be found in those hole foods rather than in their processed products)?

- If one plant protein powder is better digested, is better used by our organism and has higher amino acids values: what are the good things that brings the other plants protein powder in the game? (in other words, what does "variety" means and why is that good thing?)

Taking only soy powder also imply that a smaller quantity of protein powder would be consumed in the total (as the soy has the best profile of them all), so it lowers my intake of processed foods (which from what I understand is good). Or am I wrong?

I do Garden of Life's Raw Protein Powder, just because I have sensitivities to soy and pea (and hemp just goes right thru me - so disturbing to see in the morning! ). So really, you should just use whatever protein powder that works for you. There are just so many variables to say which one is the BEST one for you (your genetics and immune system), your lifestyle (availability and $$), and/or your exercise workout routine (building, endurance, health, etc.).

If you are just looking for the best profile, a blend of 70/30 pea/rice scores higher than just soy.

And as much as I think the whole phytoestrogen thing is overblown, I eat enough soy protein in edemame, tofu, and soymilk. I'd rather use something else if using a protein powder but I don't have any hard reason for that.