Not a big fan of strength training lol!

MagnoliaDee

I've been vegan since the beginning of May (for ethical reasons mainly), and actually have gained a lb or two since then. Not my intention as I'd like to lose about 10. I'm a little under 5'3" tall, and currently weight about 120ish lbs, 37 years old. I got down to 108 in the beginning of last year by reducing the total calories I eat each day to 1200 and drinking diet coke like a fiend. This time I'm trying to do it right... nothing but h20 and wholesome vegan food.

In the past I've tried to do Zuzanna workouts. Not sure if you know who she is, but she's on youtube. I'm not aiming for her muscles... but would generally like to gain functional strength. I've got about none right now... can't do a single pull up. Anyways, I was doing the Zuzanna workouts and ended up killing my knees and lower back to the point I could barely walk. These are both weak areas of mine. When I start doing strength training I always end up with MEGA mega sore muscles... which hurt terribly for days and days. This is ultimately what kills any strength training program I've attempted before.

Is there a way to do strength training without creating such pain? How does one begin a routine which won't kill my muscles for days, and which I can grow strength from? Any suggestions for a total nubie?

Thanks,

Sandra

If every time you do a strength workout it consists of exercises you have never done before or in a while, you're going to be sore and there's not much you can do about it.

Stretching and active recovery between workouts can help ease it a bit.

You just gotta pick a routine that starts you off light and stick to it, and most likely within a couple of weeks you'll be getting barely any soreness.

Hi Sandra, I am a vegan personal trainer and gym manager and work with a lot of people who are using the gym for the first time. I always encourage people to start lightly with just a few exercises and only 1 or 2 sets. See how sore you are the next day and from there you will know whether you need to do more or less. I love Zuzanna's website and workouts but I wouldn't say they are for beginners. What tends to happen is people don't exercise that often, they feel guilty and then go to the gym (or do a home workout) and overdo it to try and make up for their guilt. Really we need to be consistent and gradually overload the muscles which will make them stronger (and ultimately change shape to produce a more aesthetically pleasing body). I hope this helps