Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

What's the biggest motivator of your vegan diet?
Animal rights/welfare 60%  60%  [ 21 ]
Environmental issues 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Personal health 40%  40%  [ 14 ]
Other 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 35
 Post subject: What's the biggest motivator of your vegan diet?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:08 am 
Rabbit

What's the biggest motivator of your vegan diet? Please select one choice.

Post subject: Re: What's the biggest motivator of your vegan diet?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:29 am 
Gorilla

The animals lives that I am saving every time I choose not to partake in the consumption of animals or their cruely obtained products (milk etc). Additionally my health as a result of this choice motivates me also.

"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated." -Arnold

My Training Journal:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=26321

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:46 am 
Elephant

For the animals initially...but then you can't help constantly reading about all of the health benefits and the environmental benefits and the fact that the world would be without hunger if we diverted the resources we put into animal farming into farming crops for the rest of the starving world...

https://www.youtube.com/user/doctorvannostrand100

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:33 am 
Rabbit

jungleinthefrunk wrote:
For the animals initially...but then you can't help constantly reading about all of the health benefits and the environmental benefits and the fact that the world would be without hunger if we diverted the resources we put into animal farming into farming crops for the rest of the starving world...

This is my view too. I was curious about the composition of the forum here though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:50 pm 
Manatee

health at first, now animal welfare.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:25 pm 
Rabbit

For me it was an ethical choice.
I don’t buy into the hierarchy that puts Humans above Animals or any other hierarchy that people have made-up to justify doing very bad things to others because they want to.
I just see animals as non-human people with similar feelings and emotions as me. They want to live just as much as I do, and their self interests are as important to them as mine are to me.

Kenny

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:59 am 
Rabbit

Initially cause of health, then I thought about welfare and environment benefits and said to myself - "why not?"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:17 am 
Rabbit

The biggest would be health. I was trying to improve my Diet even more.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:35 am 
Rabbit

Nuff said.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:02 pm 
Rabbit

Interesting. I've never really understood how someone could do it just for health because I think it would be so easy to make exceptions. Your health isn't really going to deteriorate if you have a slice of pepperoni pizza once a month for example. I'm not trying to criticize health vegans; it's just a rationale that's hard for me to fathom.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:44 pm 
Rabbit

Bonn1997 wrote:
Interesting. I've never really understood how someone could do it just for health because I think it would be so easy to make exceptions. Your health isn't really going to deteriorate if you have a slice of pepperoni pizza once a month for example. I'm not trying to criticize health vegans; it's just a rationale that's hard for me to fathom.

It's an identity level change. Another example for that would be smoking. Couple years ago I used to smoke, today I wouldn't touch that crap. When you have a certain self image in your head it will make your behavior match that self image.
I stopped eating junk food and stuff like pizza 2 years before even discovering Vegan Nutrition. The switch for me was much easier than many ethical Vegans I saw. Mainly cause I believe I just did some more replacements to a more healthier Diet.
I don't believe in moderation when it comes to stuff that I think they are junk for my body.
Western science can't see the whole process that creates bad health before something happens. But the process is there. So I don't need to wait for something to happen. I believe in prevention and I refuse to put in my system any foods that I think to be far from natural and human body friendly. So it's very simple when you make a perception switch of that kind. There are some stuff that I used to eat and I don't even see them as food anymore. I used to drink bottle of coke everyday. Today coke is no more than a bottle of poison for me. We learn to eat certain foods and avoid others so we can unlearn it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:06 pm 
Rabbit

AlexNLP wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

It's an identity level change. Another example for that would be smoking. Couple years ago I used to smoke, today I wouldn't touch that crap. When you have a certain self image in your head it will make your behavior match that self image.
I stopped eating junk food and stuff like pizza 2 years before even discovering Vegan Nutrition. The switch for me was much easier than many ethical Vegans I saw. Mainly cause I believe I just did some more replacements to a more healthier Diet.
I don't believe in moderation when it comes to stuff that I think they are junk for my body.
Western science can't see the whole process that creates bad health before something happens. But the process is there. So I don't need to wait for something to happen. I believe in prevention and I refuse to put in my system any foods that I think to be far from natural and human body friendly. So it's very simple when you make a perception switch of that kind. There are some stuff that I used to eat and I don't even see them as food anymore. I used to drink bottle of coke everyday. Today coke is no more than a bottle of poison for me. We learn to eat certain foods and avoid others so we can unlearn it.

Fair enough. I do see what you're saying.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:26 am 
Stegosaurus

I'm onboard with all of the reasons.

I've noticed that most vegans are vegans and the vegans who stay vegans do so because they don't want to hurt animals.

Environmentalists tend toward reducing their animal product use rather than eliminating it.

Health nuts tend not to have a problem with taking in moderate amounts of animal products occasionally unless they are the type of health nut to identify with and base their self esteem on a special diet.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:29 am 
Elephant

Most environmentalists that ive met are huge hypocrites. This one guy i dated would go on these rants about eating organic meat only and then he'd be eating sausage from a diner. I guess that's not as hypocritical as claiming to be an environmentalist and eating ANY meat tho. at least thats what bothered me the most.

https://www.youtube.com/user/doctorvannostrand100

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:24 pm 
Rabbit

beforewisdom wrote:
I'm onboard with all of the reasons.

I've noticed that most vegans are vegans and the vegans who stay vegans do so because they don't want to hurt animals.

Environmentalists tend toward reducing their animal product use rather than eliminating it.

Health nuts tend not to have a problem with taking in moderate amounts of animal products occasionally unless they are the type of health nut to identify with and base their self esteem on a special diet.

Are these statistical facts ? I don't know if you can generalize.
At least here, I actually see many that do it for Ethical reasons. But they are still stuck in their old beliefs regarding what's healthy and what not. Or they don't care about making their Nutrition healthy enough. They just remove animal products and eat Vegan junk. Without including enough replacements or eating healthy Vegan Diet. So it makes them blame Vegan nutrition and sometimes break or go back to an "easier" Vegetarian Diet.