Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
 Post subject: Re: Adena gets strong!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:20 am 
Gorilla

I just looked that up, and it sounds similar to GVT, which is a 10x10. Yep, something like that is around the corner for me...Do you have a suggestion? I was just going to do GVT since I've done it before.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:36 pm 
Elephant

It's just supersetting multiple barbell exercises without putting the bar down. For high intensity cardio mostly.

Like do 5 of each - deadlifts, hang cleans, front squat, push press

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:22 pm 
Gorilla

Oh, without any rest between sets at all? Sounds challenging! I might have to give it a try. I think I might just make up my own training program using supersets, I guess. Does 40% of my 1RM sound reasonable for like, over 12 reps of each exercise? Well.....if I was going to start with deadlifts and eventually get to a push press without changing the weight, it would obviously have to be less, but I could do something a little different than that example. Maybe one minute rest between each set and an appropriate weight for each exercise so the deadlifts and hang cleans would still be as challenging as overhead pressing. Hm...I'm deciding whether to continue with my cardio outdoors after work tonight. It looks rainy, so I think I'm going to head back to the gym cardio with weights tonight! I'll let you all know how it goes. I'm going in without much of a plan. But I'm re-reading some articles on German Volume Training just in case I end up getting to the gym and not wanting to "wing it."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:16 am 
Gorilla

Well, for the last two weeks I have focused on cardio. I missed it. :wink: I did some interval training, and also some distance just because it's a stress reliever for me. I also went on a few long bike rides with the husband, and long hilly hikes with the dogs. Fun "vacation." Anyway, so far I have only lost 5 pounds, but it's better than nothing. It would be really nice to get under 132 for the meet at the Iowa State Fair I'm hoping to enter. I can't seem to get a solid answer from anyone about how to register for it, so it may not happen. But anyway, it's been nice to try to slim down and give my digestive system a bit of a break. It's kind of funny how good it feels just to allow myself to be hungry some of the time. My stomach is much happier with me right now.

We picked our first zuchinni and round of cucumbers, as well as probably the last round of green beans, snow peas, and sugar snap peas. Our cauliflower is finally looking like cauliflower, and we have a wee little baby watermelon forming. So the garden is becoming a pretty fun hobby, and helping me stay healthy. Plus, it's really nice to have almost free organic produce all the time.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:56 pm 
Gorilla

Ok, I'm back! The garden got pretty out of control so I ended up spending the summer doing cardio and lots of time was spent in the garden. We got a lot of use out of it, it just takes time to weed, water, harvest, and preserve everything. Aaaaaanyway...I really missed lifting heavy so I went straight back to the 5/3/1.

Strict Overhead Press:

1x5x45
1x5x55
1x5x60
1x5x65

Push Press:

3x5x65

Overhead Shrugs:

3x10x65

Dips:

3x5

Assisted Chin-Ups (48 lb assistance):

1x12
1x8
1x5

Not too bad on the main lift, but I definitely lost steam throughout the training session. I'm way sore, so I'm not sure when I'm going to get to squat day. Oh, and I turned 31 yesterday, happy birthday to me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:06 pm 
Elephant

Great to see you back. Happy Birthday! :occasion4:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:03 pm 
Gorilla

Squat Day

Parallel Squats:

1x5x45
1x5x95
1x5x115
1x5x135
1x5x145
1x5x155

That last one was kind of a grinder, so I figured I better not try 165 right away on my first week back. I didn't lose tooooo much strength, though...

A2G Squats:

2x5x135
1x4x135

Lunges with 45 lb plate held overhead:

3x10 steps (5 each foot)

We just got a GHR machine in the power room but I forgot to use it! Oh well, there's always deadlift day.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:00 pm 
Gorilla

Bench Day

Bench Press:

1x5x45
1x5x65
1x5x75
1x6x85

1x6x80
1x8x75
1x10x70
1x10x65
1x12x60

Hm. Way to go. Didn't see that coming.

BOR:

1x10x85
1x8x85
1x7x85

This was about the point when I decided to lighten the weight on most of my assistance exercises in general so I can do higher rep work.

Push-Ups:

1x8
1x5
1x4

I figured I about had it at this point, and went home. I intended to do some more tricep work, but there's always next week.

Deadlift Day

Deadlift:

1x5x135
1x5x155
1x5x185
1x3x195

Thought I'd be able to do a little more than this, but my hands just can't hold onto the bar since I took so long off. My back felt pretty fresh still at this point, though.

Rack Pulls:

1x2x205
2x1x205

Farmer's Walks with a 45 lb plate in each hand:

3 sets

GHR

3x5

Plate Pinches with two 5lb plates:

3 sets each hand

Ol' lefty sure is wimpy these days. But still, after looking over my journal it doesn't seem as though I went backwards too far from taking the summer off, so that's a nice surprise. This week is going to be a little tough since they're asking us for overtime, which means I'll get into the gym even later than usual and it'll throw my night off, but I'm going to do my best to get four solid training sessions in this week anyhow. If I do it like last week and make Saturday and Sunday two of the four training days, it shouldn't be too difficult.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:21 pm 
Gorilla

Wow, I'm terrible at updating my training log sometimes. I'll just give you the highlights of my Week 3:

My best strict overhead press was 1x1x70.

My best parallel squat was 1x2x165.

My best bench was 1x5x90.

My best deadlift was 1x2x215.

It'll come back. This week I'm deloading, which has been fun so far. Last night I got to see one of my favorite bands, Bane, so that was pretty sweet. I'll be rockin' this really goofy Bane muscle-T at the gym tonight.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:27 pm 
Manatee

Haha ok you definitely just answered my question about Edge Day. I didn't realize you were into hardcore. I love Bane, they're so good live.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:17 pm 
Gorilla

Haha, yeah, the dude has "old man mouth" and was wearing a patriotic teddy bear sweatshirt, then got hot and took it off so he was wearing this T-shirt that said "Grillo's Pickles" with a dancing pickle on it. His dance moves are pretty sweet. My neck is still sore from all the enthusiastic head banging, but I think I'll make it in to bench day. I forgot my regular shoes, so I'm going to have to wear my slipper shoes I wore to work. They must think I'm really goofy at my gym. Or if they don't already, they will now.

I've been losing weight this whole month, so I'm going to have to up the calories for next month. I started at 144 and now I weigh 141. It's not a huge difference, but my bulking appetite is starting to come back. Here's to hoping my belly doesn't get any huger!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:04 pm 
Manatee

Yeah, Aaron is a rough looking dude, but so insanely positive. Haha he loves that Grillo's Pickles shirt. I'm surprised he wasn't wearing an unbuttoned plaid shirt two sizes two big over it. I've seen them so many times and it never gets old. I'll let you get back to your work out log now.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:23 pm 
Gorilla

I am terrible at updating this thing, lately! Oh well, I can assure you all I have been continuing to strength train four times a week and I'm struggling a little with getting enough calories, but a lot of things are going according to schedule. Bench has been feeling pretty easy, which is unusual, in a good way.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:43 pm 
VBB Moderator

Its been a minute since you've posted. How has your training been going?

-Dylan

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22