Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Tired of fighting...
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:39 pm 
Offline
Rabbit

Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:24 pm
Posts: 15
Hey guys, I'm new to this site and this is my first post. I've been vegan off and on for almost a year now and I'm having trouble. I'm struggling with feeling balanced. I feel like I'm constantly fighting with my diet in regards to energy and feeling full for more than an hour. I eat lunch which might consist of beans, brown rice or quinoa and loads of veggies only to feel "spacey" or lacking in energy/hungry an hour later. I've started logging my daily food intake on my fitness pal which has helped. I'm really torn on how many calories I should be having. Initially I realized I was consuming way too little and since then I've upped my calories to about 1300 ish a day. I do workout as well. I might do 45 minutes elliptical, turbo fire, some weights, I play hockey 1-2 times a week.I try to workout at least 4 times a week. I try to eat more when I workout to compensate for the burned calories. I recently saw a meal plan by robert cheeke for females and thought maybe I should upmy calories to 15-1700 and see how I feel. I'm so tired of feeling off that I've considered seeing a dietician. I don't know what to do anymore.... =( seriously, I need advice guys. I just want to feel balanced, energetic, well and focused. I feel everyday is a battle that im losing. I'm just tired of it. please help?

B


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tired of fighting...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:42 am 
Offline
Elephant
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:10 pm
Posts: 2357
Location: Bakersfield, CA, USA
Try upping it to 2500 and see how you feel then. ;) Your body just isn't getting enough calories!

_________________
Learning how to be compassionate, gain wisdom, and love life.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tired of fighting...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:25 am 
Offline
Gorilla
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:44 am
Posts: 532
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
I know this feeling very well, you need more calories!

For you 1300 makes you spacey, for me it was 2000. After I upped my cals to 3000-3500 that went away. (Note to avoid fat gain up your cals gradually, 100-300 cals more each day until that feeling goes away.

Also are you getting enough nourishment i.e. what are your zinc, Iron, B12 levels like?

Also, are you getting sufficient sleep to recover and repair your body? This is a biggy too!

Hope you feel better and more energised within the coming week! :D

_________________

"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated." -Arnold


My Training Journal:


viewtopic.php?f=24&t=26321


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tired of fighting...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:48 am 
Offline
Elephant
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:10 am
Posts: 2138
Location: New Jersey, USA
You should be eating way more than 1300 calories even if you didn't exercise. But playing hockey/exercising four times a week you should eat much more! At least like 2500!

_________________
Darth Vader from Sandlot once said, "Heroes get remembered, but legends never die." Then he later died.
https://www.facebook.com/LaurenHarrisonAnbfPro
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeeeeech
https://www.youtube.com/user/doctorvannostrand100


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tired of fighting...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:45 am 
Offline
Elephant
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:53 am
Posts: 1481
Location: Scotland
Yeah simply sounds like you're not eating enough. For a girl who exercises regularly you need to be way over 2000. Gradually build up and see how you feel.

_________________
My training log brushteeth


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tired of fighting...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:51 am 
Offline
Rabbit

Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:24 pm
Posts: 15
Fallen_Horse wrote:
Try upping it to 2500 and see how you feel then. ;) Your body just isn't getting enough calories!


Thanks for your imput Fallen Horse.. I appreciate it! I will definitely try that starting today. I've planned my day out so far at about 1700 calories. I just want to avoid fat gain. 2500 would be ideal for a female? Thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tired of fighting...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:55 am 
Offline
Rabbit

Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:24 pm
Posts: 15
Nicholas_Weir wrote:
I know this feeling very well, you need more calories!

For you 1300 makes you spacey, for me it was 2000. After I upped my cals to 3000-3500 that went away. (Note to avoid fat gain up your cals gradually, 100-300 cals more each day until that feeling goes away.

Also are you getting enough nourishment i.e. what are your zinc, Iron, B12 levels like?

Also, are you getting sufficient sleep to recover and repair your body? This is a biggy too!

Hope you feel better and more energised within the coming week! :D


Thank you Nicholas_weir... I'm so glad you responded to my post! I am just happy that I'm not the only one who felt that way. Its such a difficult feeling to describe! Ah thank you for suggesting a gradual increase in calories. As far as my nourishment, I have a high iron binding capacity which i was told last year. Apparently that is sort of uncommon for a girl. I was recommended to take b12 regardless so I usually do daily and I also take iron but infrequently. As far as zinc, I don't take it? what would that help me with?

Thanks again for your input. I appreciate it.

Brandi


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tired of fighting...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:58 am 
Offline
Rabbit

Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:24 pm
Posts: 15
jungleinthefrunk wrote:
You should be eating way more than 1300 calories even if you didn't exercise. But playing hockey/exercising four times a week you should eat much more! At least like 2500!


Thanks Jungleinthefrunk... It's great to have such awesome support here. I've felt so alone and criticized on my vegan journey. But I'm feeling happier now to know that I have support in this quest. So for a girl, would you say 2500 is an ideal amount? It's a bit of a scary number. I'm not going to lie. I don't want to gain weight but I want a nice lean body with some muscle.

thanks again so much!!!

Brandi


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tired of fighting...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:00 am 
Offline
Rabbit

Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:24 pm
Posts: 15
chewybaws wrote:
Yeah simply sounds like you're not eating enough. For a girl who exercises regularly you need to be way over 2000. Gradually build up and see how you feel.


hey chewybaws! Thanks so much for your suggestion as well. You guys are great!!!! I'm glad you realized I was a girl, I totally forgot to mention that haha! I guess I will have to play with my calories and see where I feel my best. If I didn't exercise one day, how would I adjust my calories to fit that particular day?

thanks again!

Brandi


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tired of fighting...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:09 pm 
Offline
Elephant
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:10 pm
Posts: 2357
Location: Bakersfield, CA, USA
I would bump it up to 1800 and see how you feel, but most likely you will still be a bit tired, so maybe 2000 or 2200 is your ideal. You just have to start eating more than you are right now!

_________________
Learning how to be compassionate, gain wisdom, and love life.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tired of fighting...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:43 pm 
Offline
Elephant
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:10 am
Posts: 2138
Location: New Jersey, USA
i cant give u an exact number....would need your height, weight, age, but i use loseit.com to track all calories in and out and it worked and i got superslim.... it told me to net 1500 cals a day so i was eating 2500 cals a day and burning 1k with exercise. i still track but im eating about 3k cals now with less cardio because im purposely bulking up for bodybuilding so u may not wanna go that high, although hockey sounds intense. if anything loseit will help u get an accurate idea of what u burn thru exercise...sounds like ur underestimating. and some ppl say im eating too much some too little. like robertsbook says 4k minimum for bulking females....but some ppl have told me to stay at 2k so i understand all the confusion.

_________________
Darth Vader from Sandlot once said, "Heroes get remembered, but legends never die." Then he later died.
https://www.facebook.com/LaurenHarrisonAnbfPro
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeeeeech
https://www.youtube.com/user/doctorvannostrand100


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tired of fighting...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:30 pm 
Offline
Gorilla
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:44 am
Posts: 532
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
For zinc my best suggestion would be some almonds each day! :D

_________________

"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated." -Arnold


My Training Journal:


viewtopic.php?f=24&t=26321


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tired of fighting...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:24 pm 
Offline
Rabbit

Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:24 pm
Posts: 15
jungleinthefrunk wrote:
i cant give u an exact number....would need your height, weight, age, but i use loseit.com to track all calories in and out and it worked and i got superslim.... it told me to net 1500 cals a day so i was eating 2500 cals a day and burning 1k with exercise. i still track but im eating about 3k cals now with less cardio because im purposely bulking up for bodybuilding so u may not wanna go that high, although hockey sounds intense. if anything loseit will help u get an accurate idea of what u burn thru exercise...sounds like ur underestimating. and some ppl say im eating too much some too little. like robertsbook says 4k minimum for bulking females....but some ppl have told me to stay at 2k so i understand all the confusion.



ok! That would be great!

I'm 25
5'6
137lbs

i need to tone up my midsection a bit but i'm not looking to bulk. I like muscle but I won't be competing or anything like that. :)

today I managed to get to 1700 net calories with exercise and I felt alot better. I didn't get as much of the "weird" feeling until night time right after my dinner but it wasn't as bad.

any input would be great! Thanks again


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tired of fighting...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:27 pm 
Offline
Rabbit

Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:24 pm
Posts: 15
Fallen_Horse wrote:
I would bump it up to 1800 and see how you feel, but most likely you will still be a bit tired, so maybe 2000 or 2200 is your ideal. You just have to start eating more than you are right now!


Today I managed to get to 1700 net calories with exercise and I did feel better. I didn't get that weird feeling as much. I will try to hover around that and increase gradually. Should I be watching the amount of grain/beans I eat? For example, I usually have 3/4 cup brown rice with 1/2 cup leagumes at a meal. The rest of the calories come from veggies and some good fats like avacado (max half at a meal). =)

again THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tired of fighting...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:49 am 
Offline
Elephant
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:10 am
Posts: 2138
Location: New Jersey, USA
Do you want to stay at that weight? Well if thats what you want to do loseit.com says you should eat 2056 calories per day before exercise.

_________________
Darth Vader from Sandlot once said, "Heroes get remembered, but legends never die." Then he later died.
https://www.facebook.com/LaurenHarrisonAnbfPro
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeeeeech
https://www.youtube.com/user/doctorvannostrand100


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  



{ ASACP_CREDITS }
{ ASACP_CREDITS }
{ ASACP_CREDITS } Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group