Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Fit Before 40 , We Can Rebuild Him.....2012 Log..
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:43 pm 
Rabbit

I am starting this log to chronicle my process recovering from injuries to my Left Ankle and Achilles Tendon.I was getting back into shape (my previous Log) but back in April a recurring Injury popped up and i went and had a MRI done and my left Achilles Tendon had a heel spur poking right through it and said it was damaged beyond repair.My doctor also noticed my outer ligament in my ankle were damaged from rolling my ankle a few times over the years.It is an injury I have had for awhile but decided enough was enough and went ahead and planned for surgery , So in June I had Achilles Tendon Replacement surgery where they take the tendon off my big toe and replace the damaged tendon.Surgery went well and obviously i was sore.In July I had Ligament repair surgery done to the same foot.Recovery has been slow but consistent.

I had since the middle of August been doing some walking and going to physical therapy.September I returned to my job at a warehouse, was on 40 pound weight restrictions for the first 3 weeks and this past week was my first week back on full duty, though i still have a no overtime restriction do to major swelling around my ankle as the week goes on.Doctor says this is do to both the surgery and my foot basically being weak still.It will take time for it to go away.Range of motion is improving and now here are my short term goal...

My goal now is to lose fat and slowly increase muscle while recuperating. I will slowly increase my cardio and weight lifiting and get myself back in shape without reinjuring myself. I am starting to do more cardio on my spinning bike now and I plan on trying slowly doing some StrongLifts 5x5 workouts, though it will be more like 3x5 for Squats at first, obviously the Squats and Deadlifts will be more slow going as I gain more confidence in what I can handle, so at first I am going to add only 5 pounds a week to these exercises and see how it goes, not sure if I should do the same for upper body too?

Well that is basically my plan for the last 3 months of 2011 hopefully by January I will be back in the thick of things.It takes a year for it to fully heal but I would think that is more toward running and other vigorous cardio activity...

Did some measurements today too

Weight 217
Bodyfat 26.9%
BMI 30.5
Neck 15 1/2
Chest 42
Shoulders 49
Waist 43 3/4
Hips 43 1/4

yep got some work to do....

Last edited by jbrickzin on Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:24 am, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Jesse's Achilles Tendon Recovery
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:06 pm 
Rabbit

Today I had my first real workout since April, I went to the gym last week too but i did some real light circuit stuff on the machines just to get the feel of being back in the gym.today was a bit more of a challenge.I had one of the trainers working with me to help with rehab(I think he actually told me he has been on this site)

Exercise Bike 25 minutes Did this while I was waiting for my session.

Squats 45x5 form was awful, slight tightness in my Achilles and Calf and I wasn't sitting back enough in the squat.So we changed to doing some Front Squats.
Front Squats 45x2x5 was able to get down more but the bar was all over the place, yep havent lifted for awhile....
Leg Press 110X2x5 was doing 80 pounds at the physical therapist, was pretty easy.
Calf Raises 2x12did them on two legs but tried to only use my right one as an aid and let left side to most of the lifting.wasn't easy.
Inverted Rows 2x10
Push Ups 1x4, 1x8 second set i did on the smith machine bar to give a little more incline, made it a little easier.
bosu ball balancing on left foot
band work on the left foot

Lack of exercise and crappy diet has made these really tough.I have a loooong road to recovery..

BRING IT ON!!!!

Post subject: 10-4-2011
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:29 pm 
Rabbit

Today's workout. 10-4-2011

Trying to do stronglifts while i continue rehabbing..Not entirely sure if i should hold off on adding weight to my upper body exercises or hold off like i am doing with Squats (only adding 5 pounds per week for at least a month or so)

Squats 45x5x5 Legs still hurt from Sunday but made it through..can't wait to get back in shape....
Overhead Press 45x5x5
Deadlifts 90x5 wasn't sure if this was going to be too much but made it through ok....
Leg Press 110x10, 95x15 strictly for rehabbing..
Calf Raises 12,15,15 strictly for rehabbing..
Bosu Ball Balance on Left Foot 3 sets of 20 second hold..

Diet. 10-4-2011

keeping my calories between 1500 to 2000 for now until I really pick up the weight training..not real concerned just need to eat clean..making some Quinoa and Garbanzo Beans now to mix together...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:43 pm 
Rabbit

Went to the gym and just did the main 3 exercises for SL5x5

Squats 50x5x5
Bench Press 50x5x5
Rows 60x5x5

Rode the bike for 10 minutes to finish off the day

..again just a quick 30 minute or so workout..Foot was swollen quite a bit today from being on it all week at work so i didn't want to do a whole lot today..added 5 pounds to the squat and of course added 5 pounds to the other exercises.biggest concern is my squat form isn't very good, still have issues getting all the way down because of the tightness in my left Achilles/Calf, so i really don't see much of an increase in weight for squats for at least a couple more weeks.I am in recovery stage right now but at the same time I do want to build up strength as well..So i am juggling two things at once and hopefully I am doing the right thing, I see my physical therapist on Monday so I will ask them then....

Diet is eh, got to work on that more..need a tub of vega or maybe i will try sunwarrior Warrior Blend.made a pot of Chickpeas mixed with Quinoa to mess around with and got to get some veggies from the co-op tomorrow ..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:53 pm 
Site Admin

Hope you recover well.

All the very best on the road back.

Be well.

Robert

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:37 pm 
Rabbit

Thanks Robert, Bought a tub of Vega Whole Food Health Optimizer Natural Flavor..got it in the mail today...Have another workout planned for tomorrow...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:15 pm 
Rabbit

10-11-2011

Squats 55x5x5
OH Press 50x5x5
Deadlifts 100x5
Calf Raises 1x20,1x16

10-16-2011

Squats 60x5x5
OH Press 55x5x5
Deadlifts 115x5
Bench Press 55x5x5
Inverted Rows 1x9,1x5,1x6
walked 6-7 miles or so...

I decided just to bunch the workout a and b together and doing the workout twice a week, I know it isn't recommended to do this but with overtime at work doing warehouse work it is just a pain getting to the gym that extra day..My overall goal is getting healthy and ultimately starting cardio again.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:51 pm 
Stegosaurus

I'll be following your journal! I had surgery end of August to repair a severed EHL tendon in my foot and recovery has been soooooo slow. I'm still in a walking boot and going a bit crazy. My physical therapist thinks I'll be running in February so I have that to look forward to. Right now I've just been cleared for upper body weight stuff.

Best of luck to you! It's amazing how much we take things like simple mobility for granted until we have lost them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:41 pm 
Rabbit

I tried jogging a little at work today and it was a cross between a skip and a limp, it was ugly.Not ready for that yet....but yeah this surgery has taken every cardio thing I could do and disrupted it.

Anyways I was a bit sore at work today from the walking I did yesterday, but i managed to make it through the day.Thinking about adding Kettlebells to my workout got a hold of a program called Skogg Kettlebells..not sure though if this would interfere with my barbell training..I have a 15 pound kettlebell so it shouldn't bother to much i don't think..I try it see if it helps with the cardio..

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:00 pm 
Rabbit

hurt my knee at work so have been taking it easy on the exercise part.woke up today it didn't feel to bad.give it a couple more days than see where i am at.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:12 am 
Finch

Hmmm thats very good that u go through the physical therapy in the ankle damages physical therapist really help to fix heal our pain........

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:39 pm 
Rabbit

applied for the 12 days of vegan bodybuilding and fitness, seriously need help and motivation..I have been so stressed lately.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:34 am 
Rabbit

As far as the lifting goes, i am going to keep it simple.substitute Leg presses for Squats for now.My knee is stilloff and the press doesn't seem to bother it as much.I will definetly change it back to Squats when i feel it is right.Since i am picking the weight off the ground rather than having it on my shoulder, I will keep the Deadlifts.I will keep this program over the winter, add this and the walking i do and I got some Yoga DVD's i am going to start doing too.It should help with the rehab I have been slacking on the last couple months.

plus this is the program i am going to do with the 12 days of Christmas thing Robert has going on...

DAY 1 – PULL

Deadlifts
Dumbbell Rows
Bicep Curls

DAY 2 – PUSH

Flat Barbell Bench Press
Barbell Shoulder Presses
Tricep Dips (bench version for now)

DAY 3 – LEGS

Leg Press
Barbell Stiff Leg Deadlifts
Calf Raises (3x12)
Crunches and/or Hanging Leg Raises

Post subject: 12-22-2011 workout
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:23 pm 
Rabbit

12-22-2011 workout

Pull workout

• Bike warmup for 7 minutes.
  • Deadlifts 135x5,145x5,145x5, 155x5,135x5
  • DB Rows 4x30x10, 30x8
  • DB Bicep Curls 30x7,30x5,30x5, 20x10
  • Shrugs 35x10,35x12
  • Assisted Pullups 195x10,180x6, 165x5
  • Rowing machine 5 minutes at the end.

Also walked home from the movie theater (aprox 3 miles)

Diet today is meh since i was out all day.I have had like 5 Bananas, some Popcorn at the movie (no butter) I am going to have some Hummus with Naan Bread for dinner so that should boost my calorie intake..overall not a good day diet wise but I thought it went well with the Fitness part.

I am going to have to hit the gym Saturday for the Push exercises since they are closed Sunday because of Christmas.

Last edited by jbrickzin on Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:26 pm 
Rabbit

Than again the push workout i can do at home with dumbbells too, we shall see...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next