Tough Mudder

Hey everyone I'm 18 and have been vegan for 16 months. This May I plan on doing the MN Tough Mudder, its a 12 mile obstacle course designed by British Special Forces. They say the average time is 3 hours to complete, so its a fairly difficult race. My question is what kind of training should I be doing beside running 5+ miles 4-5 times a week? I'm a strong runner so that's not my biggest concern. I'm in good shape and am "physically fit", but I know just training muscle groups with my routine won't cut it for this race. Any suggestions?

I just did an obstacle race about a month ago, it wasn't the tough mudder but it was hard as hell. My training routine was preatty simple for the run portion.

1 mile run

body weight exercise (pull-ups, push-ups, squats, sit-ups....). Sometimes I would do the run with push-ups and squats other times it was run and pull-ups only.

repeat 4-5 times

You have to find what your weak area is. With these courses, there is lots of pulling, rope climbs those things, so I would focus on pulling exercises if that is a problem. I can't recomend a rep count for you because everyone is different and has limits on there strengths. You need to work on your problem areas in a fatiqued state. My problem was up hill running and thats what I'm going to work on next time. Another good exercise is bear crawls, really burns out your shoulders, arms, legs. Good luck and have fun!

Good luck to Scobra & stigaman!!! I would like to run the TM next year. I did the Warrior Dash in NY this past August and it was GREAT! What I learned from the WD, we will train hills. hard. If you 'like' the Spartan Race on Facebook, they post workouts that are pretty intense. For example: warm up, followed with a lot of body weight plyometric exercises, interval runs, etc., end w/ an cool down run. I haven't had the gumption nor time yet to try these workouts but they might help prepare for the TM, too. Again, good luck and hope to hear about your trainings!!

I did the Warrior dash at the end of July, haha. Yeah, I defiantly am going to do a lot of treadmill incline runs since I have no hills in my town. But I think I'll start off by doing some intense circuit training both with running and lifting.

Ps. Fallen_Horse, I saw that video about a month ago and it inspired me to do barefoot running. It's so painful at first cause of the blisters. Totally worth it though, I feel way more free when I run now. I'd highly recommend trying it!