Bleh. Free Weights for shoulders/lats?

Share your training programs, favorite exercises, training secrets and tips with the rest of the group. Discuss contest preparation, off-season diets, carb depleting and loading, posing, and training programs.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Kira
Rabbit

Bleh. Free Weights for shoulders/lats?

#1 Postby Kira » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:27 am

Some smart guy jammed the lat pull down machine at the small gym at the apartment complex where I live, and the same weight disks that were jammed happen to be linked to the shoulder press machine as well :/ So yeah, I need some dumbbell exercises for my lats/shoulders while I wait for the machine to get fixed.. Previously I would never touch free weights for my shoulders, but people have to adapt sometimes.

jmiller
Finch

Re: Bleh. Free Weights for shoulders/lats?

#2 Postby jmiller » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:59 am

My summer workout routine includes a reversed grip (palms facing out), bent-over row and a dumbbell shoulder press. and lovely pull ups. Winter workout is a little different and it escapes me at the moment what exercises those are.

chewybaws
Elephant

#3 Postby chewybaws » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:37 am

Also One armed dumbbell rows and front/side raises. But yeah, can't beat shoulder press and pullups as already mentionned.

jungleinthefrunk
Gorilla

#4 Postby jungleinthefrunk » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:58 pm

arnold presses, shrugs,
Darth Vader from Sandlot once said, "Heroes get remembered, but legends never die." Then he later died.
https://www.facebook.com/LaurenHarrisonAnbfPro
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeeeeech
https://www.youtube.com/user/doctorvannostrand100

Scobra
Rabbit

#5 Postby Scobra » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:07 pm

Like everyone else said I would start with bent over rows and DB military press. But I would also recommend, if you can, do pull ups and head stand push ups (those will kill your shoulders).

boardn10
Manatee

#6 Postby boardn10 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:28 pm

You might grow more. :)
Wish I could do shoulder presses, but years of shoulder injuries keep me from doing those. Luckily you can all the shoulder development without them. :)
What do I do when not bodybuilding or working? Spend time with family, play guitar, write music, snowboard, roast coffee, travel, read, fight for those who are less fortunate than myself.

veggiesasquatch
Gorilla

#7 Postby veggiesasquatch » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:57 am

I don't like to use a bench to do one arm rows. I like to find something slightly higher than my wait or level with it & steady myself with my free hand. I then go with a wide stance as I find this stretches the back more.

A good burn out for shoulders & traps would be doing up right rows with a wide, medium & narrow grip. Fail one grip, rest set for the next grip & keep going to you hit all 3 grips, That's one set.
"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

xllx
Rabbit

#8 Postby xllx » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:33 am

The single most crucial exercise for gains for my lats is weighted pullups.

Return to “Bodybuilding/Strength Training”