What are the bulkers eating???

Here is an example menu & eating schedule for the general bodybuilder.

7AM

2 cups oatmeal

protein Smoothie (soymilk, protein powder, strawberries, banana, ice cubes)

multivitamin supplement

10AM

4 pieces of toast with peanut butter/soynut butter/almond butter

8oz glass soymilk

breakfast burrito (tortilla, rice, beans, tofu, broccoli, corn)

1PM

large strips of baked tofu with peanut sauce

1 cup broccoli

salad (lettuce, spinach, cucumbers, carrots, tomatoes)

8oz glass soymilk

4PM

bowl of mixed nuts (cashews, almonds, peanuts, walnuts)

tofu sandwich with vegan mayo and spinach

8oz glas orange juice

7PM

bowl of brown rice

teriyaki tofu

green beans and peas

grated soy cheese

8oz glass soy milk

10PM

bowl of mixed fruit

soy protein drink

soy crisps

Looking at the example from Robert's post;

At the 7am meal, if I remove the protein powder and the multivitamin supplement does it affect a lot? Is really so important a vitamin supplement?

At the 10pm meal, a "soy protein drink" is not just soy milk? how to make that?

I live in China and I don't have access to a lot of stuff like "VEGA" or other proteins and vitamins, etc.

Any advice?

Thanks!

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the first time ever I kept a food diary yesterday... and I came in at about 1900kcals. I was gobsmacked and I thought I'd eaten a fair bit. I'll be rethinking my diet and adding 200-400kcals per week will be the goal!

THIS is what everyone should do before they start any new "diet" or "meal plan". So many people tell me "I eat sooo much food you just don't get it! I can't gain weight!" and then I ask them ok, how many calories you eat a day? NO ANSWER! Once they actually do an HONEST food log for the span of atleast a few days they realize they have absolutely not been eating enough. Some people gain well on only a few hundred calories over maintenence and others, like myself, need almost 1000 cals over maintenance to see a progression.

Any suggestions for doing this meal plan properly? How to calculate the calories of what I'm eating and know how much do I have to add?

This is what I plan to eat today, plus a snack when I get home at ten (probably protein plus cereal, about 20 grams of protein with soy milk). So far its only 1800 calories...is that not enough?!??!

Cereal, Hot, Oatmeal, Plain, Unenrich, Dry

1/2 Cup

Low Sodium Ezekiel Bread

2 Slices

Peanut Butter, Creamy

2 Tablespoons

Pea Protein

2 Servings

Soy Milk, Original

4 Fluid ounces

Banana, Fresh, Med, 7" To 7 7/8" Long

1 Each

Lunch: 740

NutriBiotic Rice Protein

60 Grams

thai veggie chicken

7 Ounces

Tomatoes, Fresh, Med

2 Each

Tofu, extra firm

7 Ounces

Dinner: 245

Beans, Pinto, Mature, Ckd

1 Cup

• 3 weeks later...

By looking at a handful of calorie calculators and experimenting over the last month I realized they are all off for me by about 250kcal. The average I get to maintain 140 is 2,750 kcal, I actually need 3,000. To reach my goal of 175lbs they say I need 3,250, I actually need 3,500. I eat this daily, but I suspect I'll actually need more than 3,500.

I don't get fat easily, especially eating vegan and clean, so I've slammed my kcal consumption into high gear as of today. What's weirder still is the more I eat the leaner I get the more kcal I need. It's bizarre.

Breakfast: 570

4 Slices of toast, 32g peanut butter, 1 cup of coffee with 1/2c soymilk and 3g creatine.

Post-Workout: 605

2 bananas, 30g Soy protein, 3g creatine, 32g peanut butter, 15g hemp seeds

Lunch: 730

200g of oats, 1/2 Cup of Raisins, 1 cup of coffee and 1/2c soymilk (I usually add a bit of maple syrup too)

Dinner: 935

280g pasta or 330g rice, 1 cup of beans or legumes, or tofu, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 cup of veggies, 1 cup of soymilk

Bedtime snack: 605

2 bananas, 30g Soy protein, 3g creatine, 32g peanut butter, 15g hemp seeds

That's 3,500 kcal pretty much, and about 175g protein, the rest are delicious carbs and fats. Watch me outgrow this too ;_;

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just wondering. When I track my calories on MyDailyPlate, sponsored by LiveStrong, I put two cups of penne pasta. The estimated calories for that amount are 1600 calories. Since I can't really estimate how many servings from the box I'm eating since I used the entire box to make food ahead of time, I have to measure the pasta in a cup. I'll likely buy a scale to measure it in ounces instead. In the meantime, though, does anyone know whether or not this is true?

Guess this is what I'll be eating from now on. Hopefully no more revisions.

About 4,000 kcal, 225g protein, 66g fat, 580g carbs.

Breakfast: 560/28

4 Slices of Toast

32g Peanut Butter

Coffe or Tea with Soymilk and 2g Creatine

Post Workout: 636/50

2 Bananas

37g Soy Protein

15g Hemp Seed

32g Peanut Butter

2g Creatine

Lunch:835/29

160g Dry Oats

60g Raisins

Tea with Soymilk

Dinner: 1145/62

140g Dry Pasta, 120g Dry Rice

1.5 Cups of Lentils, or 6oz Tofu

1 Cup of Veggies

1 TBSP Olive Oil

1 Slice of Toast

8oz Soymilk

Coffe or Tea with Soymilk

Snack: 736/52

3 Bananas

37g Soy Protein,

15g Hemp Seeds

32g Peanut Butter

2g Creatine

Morning: Porridge - 100g oats, chopped apple, cinnamon, coffee with soy or rice milk. (20g pro)

snack: Pb sandwich (18g pro)

Lunch: chickpeas and brown rice (20g pro)

snack: pb sandwich (18g pro)

snack: bagel w pb (20g pro)

Dinner: soy beans in indian spices with a side of vegetables; Broccoli, zucchini, green beans (40g pro min)

right before bed: Pb sandwich (18g pro)

about:154g protein

don't know exact cals or fat/carb totals for today (probably too much fat by the looks of all the pb sandwiches; i guess tomorrow will be low fat high carb day!

• 4 weeks later...

Here's today's food for me. Im not vegan before you continue

meal one:

Bagel with peanut butter

Protein shake with 3 tbls oats & milk

Meal two:

x2 boiled eggs

Mixed nuts with dried fruit

Banana

meal three:

4 pieces of soya & linseed bread (6.5grams protein per slice) with

cottage cheese & salad

cereal bar

meal four:

fried rice with onion, mushroom, broccoli, peas & quorn chicken

Soya desert

meal 5:

Rest of the cottage cheese before bed

Apple

I'll be training today so will have a all in one shake 1 hr before workout & a whey shake right after.

Here's today's food for me. Im not vegan before you continue

meal one:

Bagel with peanut butter

Protein shake with 3 tbls oats & milk

Meal two:

x2 boiled eggs

Mixed nuts with dried fruit

Banana

meal three:

4 pieces of soya & linseed bread (6.5grams protein per slice) with

cottage cheese & salad

cereal bar

meal four:

fried rice with onion, mushroom, broccoli, peas & quorn chicken

Soya desert

meal 5:

Rest of the cottage cheese before bed

Apple

I'll be training today so will have a all in one shake 1 hr before workout & a whey shake right after.

Why not vegan? Or not yet?

I have done vegan diets, I kinda float in/out of eating eggs & I dont usually buy cows milk. In all honesty it's just so hard to get any decent vegan food where I live. I don't want to live on beans ect for a protein hit.

I also found my strength to fade very quickly & this was along with following proper bulking vegan diets. I just don't think it suits me as a full time diet. Even upping the calories & portion sizes I was loosing power & weight. For the most part out of a week I would say 65% of my diet is already vegan, I just have quorn/meat free products once or twice a day.

veggiesasquatch - When you upped calories and portion sizes did you track your macronutrient intake?

To answer your question about cheap vegan food, are you talking about replacer products or specific kinds of foods? Because fake meats and things like that will always cost more than whole foods. As someone else who is always strapped for cash, I tend to stock up on the following: beans (black, kidney, chick, lima, pinto), peas, lentils, peanut butter, almond butter, nuts, seeds, broccoli, spinach, whole grain breads/pastas, oatmeal, and potatoes.

veggiesasquatch - When you upped calories and portion sizes did you track your macronutrient intake?

To answer your question about cheap vegan food, are you talking about replacer products or specific kinds of foods? Because fake meats and things like that will always cost more than whole foods. As someone else who is always strapped for cash, I tend to stock up on the following: beans (black, kidney, chick, lima, pinto), peas, lentils, peanut butter, almond butter, nuts, seeds, broccoli, spinach, whole grain breads/pastas, oatmeal, and potatoes.

I was talking more about mock vegan meat products, not beans ect.

To many pulses actually give me cramps. I suffer from ibs, this was horrendous when I ate meat & to many pulses actually set me off. I use kidneys beans ect but I don't load up on them. I've put on 14kg of muscle in 4 & a half months so am doing something right.

Im not seeing any sweet potatoes in these diets on here? How come?

I noticed that to, there's no love for the sweet potatoes. I know sweet ones have more fiber, but I'm not sure if one has more calories/carbs than the other which is important if you're trying to bulk.

I noticed that to, there's no love for the sweet potatoes. I know sweet ones have more fiber, but I'm not sure if one has more calories/carbs than the other which is important if you're trying to bulk.

After a quick google search, according to NutritionData.com, a 5" sweet potato has less carbohydrates than a 4" red potato and a 4" russet - though, I'm not sure how accurate that site is. Personally, I prefer the sweet potato version of everything - sweet potato fries and mashed potatoes > regular fries and mashed potatoes. Not sure why they aren't getting more love around here.

After a quick google search, according to NutritionData.com, a 5" sweet potato has less carbohydrates than a 4" red potato and a 4" russet - though, I'm not sure how accurate that site is. Personally, I prefer the sweet potato version of everything - sweet potato fries and mashed potatoes > regular fries and mashed potatoes. Not sure why they aren't getting more love around here.

I looked around on google too, but each site seemed to be showing different nutritional values. Some of them said sweet potatoes were slightly higher in carbs/calories others said they were lower, either way there wasn't much difference between a sweet potatoe and a baked one so it just goes down to taste.

The standard potatoe doesn't even count towards your veg in take for the day, so I'm told? I did some trolling & it seems in general the sweet pot has more antoxidents, minerals ect?

Back onto bulking topics. Personally I got my weight on eating pizzas (also vegan versions), burgers with sweet pots & veg. Pasta, rice (all wholefood).

Eat carbs before bed, have an extra sandwich ect if you wanna get big you gotta eat big. It's winter now, you can worry about stripping of some excess weight in a few months.

15k later & I can still get into my 30" waist jeans, it's now my quads that's the problem!

15k later & I can still get into my 30" waist jeans, it's now my quads that's the problem!

That's how you know you're doing it right!

I'm hoping this slow bulk I'm embarking on does me well this winter/early spring and I'll use the spring and beginning of summer to trim down. Though, I've been slacking on eating enough the last few days - definitely need to do something about that. Pizza might be the answer.

I swear by pizza as a food source for protein/carbs & energy. I make sure I eat at least one a week & a bloody big one at that. For me, I need a highish carb in take as I work both days & nights. Out of my 4 week pattern I work at least two nights out of the 3 weeks. I'd literally collapse if I didn't eat a good amount of carbs. Weirdly I eat more carbs now then when I was running 20+ miles a week. This goes along with hitting the big ones! Deads, squat, benching, chins ect!

Not gonna lie, I have put on some timber rd my stomach but the trade off worth it.

I also used peanut butter & jam sandwiches. Basically if it was flesh free I ate it, edible or not:)

Pizza is a must;)

I didn't reply to your question about my macro intake sorry.

In all honesty no. I hit roughly 200g protein a day, I have a carb with every meal & eat 2-3 portions of fruit a day & have same amount of greens. Everything

I measure in cups. Always 1 cup green, 1 cup rice, 100g dried pasta & so

On.

This was my food intake today, I also had to work a night shift & will be going lifting right after.

Woke up 8 in the morning & ate big because of work & training.

Breakfast:

Small serving baked beans, 3 veggie sasuages, 2 eggs, 3 potatoe rostis, grilled tomatoe, mushrooms & 2 toast.

Then a big gap due to spacing meals out for a loooooong day.

Earlyish dinner; 100g pasta, 1 & a half cup fake chicken, 1 cup green & a garlic & chilli oil dressing I made. 1 scoop shake with water + vits

Wholemeal bun with a spicy bean burger & vegan cheese, half a avacado & cup salad.

1 scoop shake + water

1 & half cups rice, 1 cup greens & x2 soya meat patties. Alpro soya desert. Apple

1 banana, 2 tbls peanut butter. 1 scoop shake.

Admit my eating wasn't great today. Always tricky with working shifts :/