Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: What are the bulkers eating???
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:05 am 
Gorilla

vegansludge wrote:
veggiesasquatch - When you upped calories and portion sizes did you track your macronutrient intake?

To answer your question about cheap vegan food, are you talking about replacer products or specific kinds of foods? Because fake meats and things like that will always cost more than whole foods. As someone else who is always strapped for cash, I tend to stock up on the following: beans (black, kidney, chick, lima, pinto), peas, lentils, peanut butter, almond butter, nuts, seeds, broccoli, spinach, whole grain breads/pastas, oatmeal, and potatoes.

I was talking more about mock vegan meat products, not beans ect.

To many pulses actually give me cramps. I suffer from ibs, this was horrendous when I ate meat & to many pulses actually set me off. I use kidneys beans ect but I don't load up on them. I've put on 14kg of muscle in 4 & a half months so am doing something right.

Im not seeing any sweet potatoes in these diets on here? How come?

"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:30 pm 
Rabbit

veggiesasquatch wrote:
vegansludge wrote:
I noticed that to, there's no love for the sweet potatoes. I know sweet ones have more fiber, but I'm not sure if one has more calories/carbs than the other which is important if you're trying to bulk.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:17 am 
Gorilla

Tyler14 wrote:
veggiesasquatch wrote:
vegansludge wrote:
I noticed that to, there's no love for the sweet potatoes. I know sweet ones have more fiber, but I'm not sure if one has more calories/carbs than the other which is important if you're trying to bulk.

After a quick google search, according to NutritionData.com, a 5" sweet potato has less carbohydrates than a 4" red potato and a 4" russet - though, I'm not sure how accurate that site is. Personally, I prefer the sweet potato version of everything - sweet potato fries and mashed potatoes > regular fries and mashed potatoes. Not sure why they aren't getting more love around here.

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:49 am 
Rabbit

vegansludge wrote:
After a quick google search, according to NutritionData.com, a 5" sweet potato has less carbohydrates than a 4" red potato and a 4" russet - though, I'm not sure how accurate that site is. Personally, I prefer the sweet potato version of everything - sweet potato fries and mashed potatoes > regular fries and mashed potatoes. Not sure why they aren't getting more love around here.
I looked around on google too, but each site seemed to be showing different nutritional values. Some of them said sweet potatoes were slightly higher in carbs/calories others said they were lower, either way there wasn't much difference between a sweet potatoe and a baked one so it just goes down to taste.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:09 pm 
Gorilla

The standard potatoe doesn't even count towards your veg in take for the day, so I'm told? I did some trolling & it seems in general the sweet pot has more antoxidents, minerals ect?

Back onto bulking topics. Personally I got my weight on eating pizzas (also vegan versions), burgers with sweet pots & veg. Pasta, rice (all wholefood).

Eat carbs before bed, have an extra sandwich ect if you wanna get big you gotta eat big. It's winter now, you can worry about stripping of some excess weight in a few months.

15k later & I can still get into my 30" waist jeans, it's now my quads that's the problem!

"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:17 pm 
Gorilla

I also put a tbls of oilve oil in my shakes whenever I had one

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:52 pm 
Gorilla

veggiesasquatch wrote:
15k later & I can still get into my 30" waist jeans, it's now my quads that's the problem!

That's how you know you're doing it right!

I'm hoping this slow bulk I'm embarking on does me well this winter/early spring and I'll use the spring and beginning of summer to trim down. Though, I've been slacking on eating enough the last few days - definitely need to do something about that. Pizza might be the answer.

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:06 am 
Gorilla

I swear by pizza as a food source for protein/carbs & energy. I make sure I eat at least one a week & a bloody big one at that. For me, I need a highish carb in take as I work both days & nights. Out of my 4 week pattern I work at least two nights out of the 3 weeks. I'd literally collapse if I didn't eat a good amount of carbs. Weirdly I eat more carbs now then when I was running 20+ miles a week. This goes along with hitting the big ones! Deads, squat, benching, chins ect!

Not gonna lie, I have put on some timber rd my stomach but the trade off worth it.

I also used peanut butter & jam sandwiches. Basically if it was flesh free I ate it, edible or not:)

Pizza is a must;)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:11 am 
Gorilla

I got a couple of progress pics up in the pic section if you wanted to see the change

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:25 am 
Gorilla

vegansludge wrote:
veggiesasquatch - When you upped calories and portion sizes did you track your macronutrient intake?

To answer your question about cheap vegan food, are you talking about replacer products or specific kinds of foods? Because fake meats and things like that will always cost more than whole foods. As someone else who is always strapped for cash, I tend to stock up on the following: beans (black, kidney, chick, lima, pinto), peas, lentils, peanut butter, almond butter, nuts, seeds, broccoli, spinach, whole grain breads/pastas, oatmeal, and potatoes.

I didn't reply to your question about my macro intake sorry.

In all honesty no. I hit roughly 200g protein a day, I have a carb with every meal & eat 2-3 portions of fruit a day & have same amount of greens. Everything
I measure in cups. Always 1 cup green, 1 cup rice, 100g dried pasta & so
On.

This was my food intake today, I also had to work a night shift & will be going lifting right after.

Woke up 8 in the morning & ate big because of work & training.

Breakfast:

Small serving baked beans, 3 veggie sasuages, 2 eggs, 3 potatoe rostis, grilled tomatoe, mushrooms & 2 toast.

Then a big gap due to spacing meals out for a loooooong day.

Earlyish dinner; 100g pasta, 1 & a half cup fake chicken, 1 cup green & a garlic & chilli oil dressing I made. 1 scoop shake with water + vits

Wholemeal bun with a spicy bean burger & vegan cheese, half a avacado & cup salad.

1 scoop shake + water

1 & half cups rice, 1 cup greens & x2 soya meat patties. Alpro soya desert. Apple

1 banana, 2 tbls peanut butter. 1 scoop shake.

Admit my eating wasn't great today. Always tricky with working shifts :/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:49 pm 
Gorilla

veggiesasquatch wrote:
Admit my eating wasn't great today. Always tricky with working shifts :/

I feel you - I just relocated and am now working two jobs. And while one of them is at a grocery store (at Whole Foods, nonetheless) it's still hard for me to plan my meals and because I'm strapped for cash and always on-the-go. I've been seriously slacking on making sure I'm eating big and hitting my protein-need but I plan on changing that as soon as I get paid this Friday. Luckily, that'll also be the last session I'll be testing 1RMs so I can jump right in on Monday. From then on it's Eat Big, Sleep Big, Get Big.' To prepare for that, I plan on making a massive PWO shepherd's pie with sweet potatoes for the top layer instead of those boring old regular ones.

Quick question: I know you don't count your macros but whereabouts do you think your fat-intake is? Unless there's a lot in the fake chicken/meats, I assume you get most of it from just the 2TB PB and the eggs?

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:05 pm 
Gorilla

For fats I was adding 1 table spoon of olive oil into my shakes. Also pb, avocados, fake meats like soya burgers, quorn products. Of course pizza.

Try having a bagel with pb & honey & a breakfast shake. 300ml milk, 2-3 table spoons oats, 1 banana & scoop of protein & whizz it up, If you can two bagels lol.

My gains have been pretty great in all honesty but maybe when i get to the point i need to cut, i will start crunching the numbers a bit more.

If you want any advice ect feel free to pm man.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:58 am 
Gorilla

Thanks a lot! I might do that once I get my calories/macros set and re-work my split if I'm not too sure about some things.

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:06 pm 
Gorilla

Sounds rough but a tin of baked beans, 150g pasta & a good serving of your fav substitute cheese will also be very filling & also excellent fuel. I swear by that meal & is very cheap :)Good protein content too

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:43 pm 
Gorilla

veggiesasquatch wrote:
Sounds rough but a tin of baked beans, 150g pasta & a good serving of your fav substitute cheese will also be very filling & also excellent fuel. I swear by that meal & is very cheap :)Good protein content too

Definitely will try this as I always neglect incorporating pasta into my diet. I tend to favor potatoes and oats for my carb sources. I do love me some baked beans, though.

IRON MNTN // LOG

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next