Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

What's the biggest motivator of your vegan diet?
Animal rights/welfare 60%  60%  [ 21 ]
Environmental issues 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Personal health 40%  40%  [ 14 ]
Other 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 35
 Post subject: Re: What's the biggest motivator of your vegan diet?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:59 pm 
Rabbit

AlexNLP wrote:
beforewisdom wrote:
I'm onboard with all of the reasons.

I've noticed that most vegans are vegans and the vegans who stay vegans do so because they don't want to hurt animals.

Environmentalists tend toward reducing their animal product use rather than eliminating it.

Health nuts tend not to have a problem with taking in moderate amounts of animal products occasionally unless they are the type of health nut to identify with and base their self esteem on a special diet.

Are these statistical facts ? I don't know if you can generalize.
At least here, I actually see many that do it for Ethical reasons. But they are still stuck in their old beliefs regarding what's healthy and what not. Or they don't care about making their Nutrition healthy enough. They just remove animal products and eat Vegan junk. Without including enough replacements or eating healthy Vegan Diet. So it makes them blame Vegan nutrition and sometimes break or go back to an "easier" Vegetarian Diet.

I don't know if what you've said is right or not but it doesn't seem relevant. If someone is a vegan solely for animal rights/welfare reasons and, hypothetically, they stick to their vegan diet by eating a lot of vegan junk food, then they are still achieving their goals (helping animals).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:59 am 
Rabbit

Bonn1997 wrote:
AlexNLP wrote:
beforewisdom wrote:

I've noticed that most vegans are vegans and the vegans who stay vegans do so because they don't want to hurt animals.

Environmentalists tend toward reducing their animal product use rather than eliminating it.

Health nuts tend not to have a problem with taking in moderate amounts of animal products occasionally unless they are the type of health nut to identify with and base their self esteem on a special diet.

At least here, I actually see many that do it for Ethical reasons. But they are still stuck in their old beliefs regarding what's healthy and what not. Or they don't care about making their Nutrition healthy enough. They just remove animal products and eat Vegan junk. Without including enough replacements or eating healthy Vegan Diet. So it makes them blame Vegan nutrition and sometimes break or go back to an "easier" Vegetarian Diet.

I don't know if what you've said is right or not but it doesn't seem relevant. If someone is a vegan solely for animal rights/welfare reasons and, hypothetically, they stick to their vegan diet by eating a lot of vegan junk food, then they are still achieving their goals (helping animals).

By "here" I meant here where I live not in this Forum.
You took a small part of what I said.
If they don't build a good enough Vegan Diet or don't really believe that Vegan Nutrition is also healthy. And in the long run cause of that end up going back. They don't really achieve their goal. That's pretty relevant to me. My point is that the survival instinct in humans is primal to any conscience/ethics needs. I don't really care for what reasons people go Vegan. Just saying I don't think one can generalize and say that one reason is better than the other. Also it's good to have more than one reason.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:22 pm 
Rabbit

AlexNLP wrote:
beforewisdom wrote:

Ok I'm busted. I'm one of those people who tried to go vegan after but ended up going back to that "easier" vegertarian diet. :lol: But seriously I am a vegetarian/almost vegan for a health reasons as well as consideration for animals. I don't eat eggs or milk straight however I may cheat and eat non vegan foods like the subway veggie max, the bk veggie burger or donuts made with milk. I am not perfect but I am always stiving for perfection in my diet, lifestyle and walk with God.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:06 pm 
Elephant

Because it feels friggin' awesome!

Baby Herc

Smarts [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:40 am 
Manatee

First of all there's healthiness. Then there's that not hurting animals makes for less karma, which means personal healthiness once again. So for selfish reasons, don't hurt animals. Also being reminded that meat eaters are like parasites that act like retards.
Does being smarter count as healthiness in this option?

I will never forget veggieboards' stupid things omnivores say thread. Two girls are making coffee. One of them puts soy milk in theirs. The other one says "eww, bean juice!"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:36 am 
Rabbit

For me it was the animal welfare first and better health was a bonus. If an omnivore diet and a vegan diet were 100% equal in being healthy I still would be vegan. I agree with Kenny.f and don't believe we have the right to use animals for our purposes.

I have two friends we went vegan for health reasons first and the animals a distant second and both gave it up. One claimed it was too hard since she moved in with her meat eating son and his family and it was too expensive. She complains about how crappy she feels but doesn't really care about the animals she is killing. The other said she couldn't keep weight on (she is one of those annoying women who has always struggled to gain weight) with a vegan diet. Again no regrets about the animals she is killing.

Not generalizing about vegans for health reasons, just relating two personal experiences.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:39 am 
Rabbit

The morality of it mainly, and I'm interested in fitness too so thats why I'm here of course.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:35 am 
Gorilla

Ethics and morality.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:48 am 
Manatee

nobody wants their muscles to be made from bad food!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:41 pm 
Elephant

I became a vegan first and foremost for the animals, and because I didn't want to support the factory farm industry anymore. Since becoming a member on this forum I have learned to appreciate the health benefits of living a vegan life, and have also learned a lot about the environmental footprint of certain foods, and how a vegan diet causes much less impact on the environment than eating meat, and dairy products.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:33 pm 
Gorilla

I started out health too--lots of food intolerances--but the more research I did, the more the pressing issue became animal rights and welfare. The abuses in the food industry make me sick and I have no desire to support them.

Is it good for the environment too? Sure! I honestly don't see ANY downsides to being vegan and I find more and more reasons to be vegan all the time.

Vegan Women's Bodybuilding & Fitness on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1421637141388613/

Doing Les Mills Combat and loving it!
http://www.TeaAddictedGeek.com